Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacNIX

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 18, 2007
$PWD
Hi!

I finally got my MacBook. I love it so far, it is GREAT :eek:

It has the whine issue, but it is only noticeable while I am charging the batery in absolute silence. I can live with it because every other aspect is fine.

I have got questions that may not fit into this forum, ignore them in that case please.

1. Is it important to drain the battery at once in order to calibrate it? I haven't done it yet but I can't use the computer for such a long time at the moment.

2. How can I get my iPod working with my Mac? It has a lot of songs I put into it from my PC and iTunes doesn't seem to want to deal with them because no iPod icon appears on it.

3. When I close a window and the program is still running, how can I put the window back if I don't see its menu any more?

That's all by the moment, thanks for reading :)

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
Congrats on your macbook. They're really nice machines. Now to answer your questions:
1. It's not a bad idea, though not entirely necessary with the new macbooks.
2. You should just be able to plug your iPod into your mac, and iTunes will start. It will appear on your desktop too. You can't download songs from your iPod to the mac (well, you may be able to, but with third party software), but it will appear under the iPod in iTunes just like in iTunes on Windows. If it's not appearing on your mac when you plug it in, then there's something wrong.
3. When a program is running, the icon in the dock has a triangle under it. Just click on the icon and the menu bar for that program will appear.

CEAbiscuit

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2006
The Kitchen
You can use iPod Rip to move files from you iPod to your macbook. Just make sure you don't make a habit of moving music to 10 different people:D

e12a

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2006
1. Is it important to drain the battery at once in order to calibrate it? I haven't done it yet but I can't use the computer for such a long time at the moment.

3. When I close a window and the program is still running, how can I put the window back if I don't see its menu any more?

1. It isn't necessary to do it right away, but its probably recommended if you want to get accurate readings on remaining battery life.

2. I dont own an ipod so i cannot answer this question.

3. Command + Tab (kinda like alt-tab). Brings up a selection screen for the app. That's it. Or you can click on the Dock icon (either the app icon or the minimized window icon)

AdeFowler

macrumors 68020
Aug 27, 2004
England
Rather than closing windows try just hiding the application (Command-H). Then switch using Command-tab.

Enjoy ;)

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN

I don't think the others quite understood what you meant by this, but if I read you correctly then what you're looking for is the File->New [...] (or Command-N) command. Do you mean, for example, when you close your last browser window but the program is still running, how do you get another browser window back without quitting and restarting the program? If so, that's your answer.

Martin C

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2006
New York City
His iPod is formatted for a PC, not a Mac. I would suggest this program for dropping the music from your iPod to your Mac. Once this is done, you can reformat your iPod to the Mac formatting.

hopejr

macrumors 6502
Nov 10, 2005
New South Wales, Australia
His iPod is formatted for a PC, not a Mac. I would suggest this program for dropping the music from your iPod to your Mac. Once this is done, you can reformat your iPod to the Mac formatting.

Windows formatted iPods work on Macs. It's the other way that doesn't work. My brother uses his Windows formatted (FAT32) iPod on my iMac and it works the same way as my Mac formatted iPod.

If you re-format your iPod in Mac format, you won't be able to use it on a PC. I don't recommend that (from experience).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.