My new Olympus E-1

Discussion in 'Community' started by bousozoku, Mar 5, 2004.

1. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I can't help but tell you. It's been a little over an hour since I arrived at home with my new camera. The battery isn't even charged yet. I'm almost too excited to breathe.

For the last couple of months, I've been photographing the local high school wrestling team. My digital camera was what Olympus called a Zoom Lens Reflex--a one piece SLR. Once I got the lighting sorted with a proper flash, it turned out better than average quality photos. The only trouble was that it was short on manual and long on automatic.

The E-1 solves all that for me. It is immediately similar to my C-2500L and my OM-1N but distinctly different as well. The lenses are quite compact at half the size of the equivalent 35mm lenses. Right now, they don't feel as though they weigh less though. The 50-200mm (100-400mm 35mm equivalent) and the body come to about 4 pounds. It's not bad considering the reach.

Of course, if you have a warehouse of lenses, Olympus or otherwise, you can't use them. Kodak and Fuji are both on the bandwagon so it should be interesting to see where their next professional offerings go. Kodak helped develop the system and supply the CCD.

Anyway, I hope this battery charges soon. I'm going to lose my daylight soon. :D

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Congrats on the new body! :D

When u get some shots out of it, be sure to post 'em!

3. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I uploaded three to photo.epson.com. The following link should get you there.

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=4192006&a=31133428&f=

They were taken by the camera in program mode and using jpeg 2.7:1 compression, which is the same as what I was using on the old camera. I'm looking for similar photos from the old camera for contrast.

4. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

5. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Don't be taking pictures of your crotch now. I've worked in a photo lab and have seen some bizarre things.
    Guys measuring their manhood. Women shoving foreign objects in a certain orifice. Etc. Etc.
    I can only imagine the uninhibitions of owning a digital camera. :D

6. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

The shadow detail on the trees and the texture of the water are quite good. I need to try shooting practically everything. I just tried to get to a familiar place that I find interesting as far as textures.

The camera is so much the opposite of the C-2500L. It's decisive and quick. With the wrestling photos, I had to be there before the shot so that the camera would catch up at the right time. The E-1 seems to shoot exactly when it should. :)

Now, I need a case for the body. Strangely, each lens came with a case but nothing for the body. I'm not thrilled with Tamrac since the pot metal on the strap broke and I almost had a disaster. Any thoughts?

7. bousozoku thread starter Moderator emeritus

I went to Seaworld Orlando today and as I went up to take a few photos of the dolphins, I noticed about 15 other people with cameras like mine. :D It was quite bizarre to be part of the crowd.

Apparently, the company that is contracted to provide photos of visitors feeding the dolphins decided to buy Olympus E-1s and the 50-200mm lens combos.