My new PB's shipping date delayed

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by pdxappl, Aug 4, 2005.

1. pdxappl macrumors newbie

I recently bought a 15 inch 1.67 GHZ PB. The original estimated shipping date was August 3rd, but it has now been changed to Aug 12. I got an email from apple this morning saying it was because of an "unexpected delay." Do you think they are holding off shipping until an update comes off, or is it really some kind of delay? This isn't good because I need it for my college which starts of August 14th. I hope I can get them to upgrade the shipping.

2. enckwanzer macrumors member

I hope that's what it means! Ever since the iBooks got updated, I've been putting off getting a new PB because I figured an update was immanent. You could always call, ask about the delay, and hope that you get a sassy cs rep that will hint at a reason :)

3. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

My 12" is supposed to arrive today. I think I'm going to play it on the safe side and not open it untill Tuesday. Ohhhh how it hurts.

If its released on the 9th, then would probably have to give you expediated delivery to get it there in three days. Which would make you one of the first with the new laptop. Cheer up and look on the bright side.

Also, your school starts on a sunday? What is it Catholic?

4. cmx macrumors newbie

i'm a bit afraid this might lead to another 'pb update next ..?' hype but i don't think they'll update the pb so quickly after the ibook and the new mouse. however, since they did come with a new mouse right after a new notebook, why not update the pro line a bit too? :) i'll buy my powerbook this month anyway.
    cheers

5. VanMac macrumors 6502a

VanMac

One of the monkeys on the manufacturing floor dropped it and broke the screen.

6. djwazzy macrumors newbie

That's funny I had the same thing happen with my PowerMac order. It was suppose to ship on August 3rd, now it's saying August 11th. I wonder what sort of "unexpected delay" would cause both the PB and PM shippments to be postponed for an additional week...

7. bellang macrumors member

Pure speculation (as always), but it could be all those people who've been waiting for an iBook update were'nt all that impressed and have decided to order PB's....

8. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

They came back down to Same day for the 17", 1-2 for 15" and 12" SD, and stayed at Same day for 12". It is defintely not an update. By now they should have been in the weeks to have an update.

9. joecool85 macrumors 65816

joecool85

I dunno...the dual 2.7ghz PM is shipping in 2-3 weeks.

10. lrjr macrumors newbie

I for one hope they are updated on the 9th as ill need something to cheer me up after i get my exam results :eek:

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Your book is delayed because they are busy working on the ibook orders. No offense to you really but I think it is so stupid when people make dumb comments about updates to machines based on a delay in delivery.

Hey do you think that they are coming out with a new flavor of Pot Pies because they did not get a shipment in the local supermarket?

12. Chef Medeski macrumors 6502a

Chef Medeski

Yeah, well, except for the fact that everytime there is a long dely, there are updates. So Cause and Effect, its the fact as humans that we make the connection. I don't think thats stupid. Its better than the apes, thats for sure.

But, seriously upped to by 3 days, that doesn't warrant an update.

13. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

I, too, ordered a BTO 15" PB (1.5 with SD/100GB HD) - on August 1st, and was quoted shipping "on or before August 5th". It's been "sent to manufacturing" for the past three days, but no other updates. I just got an email saying my order ran into "an unexpected delay" and that my new ship by date is August 11th.

I originally ordered a refurb 15" 1.67 but wasn't happy with the 7-10 business day time to ship, and realized I needed the extra disk space more than the fastest processor, so changed my order. At that time, the stock shipping was same business day on all the Powerbooks, so I thought that it'd be a good chance I'd get my BTO unit fast - and Apple quoted 1-3 business days to me for shipping.

My gut says updates on the 9th, but it may turn out just to be component shortages. Here's what the USA Apple Store has for shipping as of Saturday 6:45 am PDT:

Stock Shipping @ Apple Store:
    12" Combo - Same business day
    12" SD - 1-2 business days
    15" 1.5 Combo - 1-2 business days
    15" 1.67 SD - 2-4 business days
    17" - Same business day

BTO Shipping @ Apple Store:
    12" Combo - 1-3 business days
    12" SD - 1-3 business days
    15" 1.5 Combo - 1-3 business days
    15" 1.67 SD - 5-7 business days
    17" - 4-6 business days

What do you think? :D Anybody have more insight into this delay?? I don't mind the wait if that means an updated system for me. However, I'll be happy with the unit that I ordered. I doubt it's gonna be anything big. If it were, the iBooks would have been bumped to the level of the PB's.

14. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

After reading the above post, Maybe Tuesday is the Day. If It's something I like I can still send my 1.67ghz back.

15. orijinal macrumors 6502

orijinal

16. cmx macrumors newbie

17. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Called Apple, asked about the delay, they apologized and didn't elaborate. I asked nicely what they'd do for me due to the delay - and my TiBook dying unexpectedly. They upgraded me to 2-3 day shipping from the free ground parcel shipping at no cost.

Sometimes it pays to be nice. Was hoping for a free mouse tho, ha. ;)

18. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I must have ordered my 15" JUST in time. I ordered a 15" 1.67GHz with 128MB VRAM on August 1st and it said estimated ship date August 9th (this next tuesday). However, the computer shipped yesterday (Friday) and the FedEx tracking says the estimated delivery date is Tuesday, August 9th. If that is correct I will be very happy to have my computer early... as long as it has no dead pixel :p

19. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

Ugh...now I'm annoyed! I ordered the same PB with the upgraded VRAM on 7/31 and was gived an ESD of 8/4. On 8/5, I got an email stating that my order's been delayed to 8/15! What gives Apple? That's a bit outrageous!

-Chris
    CJLevinsk22

20. Chrispy macrumors 68020

Chrispy

I'm sorry I didn't mean to add salt to a wound. I think that is pretty stupid that if you ordered yours before mine that you got delayed and I didn't.... think of it this way tho, if the update does happen you will get the new unit and I will have the old revision ;) I hope you get your powerbook as soon as possible!

21. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Just ordered my refurb. 15" PowerBook today :D :D Ship time estimated as 7-10 days, Order status says "Preparing Shipment." Will I get it sooner? Its been like six hours and I'm already going out of my mind! :eek: :rolleyes: Seriously, do you think I'll have to wait the full WEEK+ Any other recent refurb. shipment experiences?

22. CJLevinsk22 macrumors member

CJLevinsk22

Nah, no need to apologize. I guess it's just the luck of the draw! I'll let you know when mine does finally ship!

-Chris
    CJLevinsk22

23. CuriousG macrumors newbie

Lookin like a possible update

Lookin like it might happen...the Canada Apple store is showing extended delivery times for PB line also. Could this be it? Wonder what the magical update will be to the PB line?

Got my new Mac Mini last week for my home theatre system. Picked up the BT mouse and keyboard also oh and not to leave out...I also bought a Macpower/Tytech M9 Mac mini Pod w/ installed Hitachi 500GB drive. ;) And for the rest of my movies I share my movies folder on my iMac with my Mac Mini wirelessly through the Airport Express. Oh yeah I also bought a new iMac 20" w/ 2gb of RAM. So I guess I have bought alot of new Apple product in the past month.

In any event I hope the PB line is updated next week and I might even sell my PC laptop I bought (Civ 3 fan!!) primarily for Winbloze games, to buy a PB.

24. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

Oh snap, it just shipped :D At least I'll be plenty covered with the 14 day return policy for the two next tuesdays just in case ;)