Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
I ordered my first Power Mac a week ago along with the 20" display. The display came in about 4 days later. The display is sitting pretty in a corner since I can't use it (no PC that has DVI out). Apple logistics was pretty funny - the order status showed "Preparing shipment" for the display for more than a week although they had shipped it a day after the order was placed. They also sent repeated emails asking permission to continue with the order since they had "delays procuring the display." The display arrived but the Apple website still continued to show "Preparing shipment" with a new shipping date of "16 May 2005" for a few days!!!

The Power Mac is coming on Monday - stupid Fedex tracking service - it said "On Fedex vehicle for delivery" in the morning (although it was a Saturday and I doubted if Apple would pay extra for Saturday deliveries for the free ground shipping option). I stayed home all day hoping (without hope) that it would somehow be delivered late afternoon or evening. Should've believed my instincts and past lousy experiences with Fedex tracking. I guess what they meant by "On Fedex vehicle for delivery" was that they have no clue as to what's happening with the package (which is generally the case). Or they probably meant "It's probably loaded on the vehicle and we have no clue when the driver comes in". Could the tracking update be more ambiguous? :mad: I prefer the UPS line "Out for delivery" - a sentence that's a lot clearer and tells me what exactly is happening. I also like how UPS updates the tracking status on a continuous basis in almost real time (whereas Fedex updates them like once in a couple of days or so, and that too with incorrect details).

Now I have to wait two more days!!! :(

After all this ranting about Fedex vs. UPS, I guess it'd be prudent to state the BTO configuration. :)
* Power Mac 2.3GHz (dual)
* 512MB RAM (will add 1GB soon)
* 250GB SATA HDD
* Combo drive (not the new superdrive - not buying them until the dual layer discs become affordable and the drive can write at 8x or more on the dual layer discs).
* ATI Radeon 9650
* Airport Extreme card
* Apple 20" display (did a lot of thinking about the Dell 2005FPW, which was about $200 cheaper, but finally decided to stay away from the company and the "ugly" display :))

Today (Sunday) I'll be picking up a bunch of "missing manual" series of books from the local library! :) That should keep me distracted till Monday! :D I can't wait to use my first Mac - with all the expectations about the machine and the OS built up over the past couple of years, and the fact that I waited so long to finally go ahead with buying a Mac instead of drooling over it, one more day seems like eternity! :D [this smiley actually means I'm in pain]

lazyboy922

macrumors 6502
Dec 9, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
congrats on the purchase! I will be ordering the same setup, but with superdrive this week. I ordered my dell tonight. It's not as pretty, but I need the extra money for ram!

I hope mine doesn't take too long to ship! I can't wait!

mcarnes

macrumors 68000
Mar 14, 2004
USA! USA!
FedEx has messed up a couple of my packages lately. They also damaged an expensive lightbox and had to come pick it up. What's wrong with those bone heads. They used to be pretty good.

Edit: Not to scare you about your mac, I'm sure yours will arrive just fine.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
It seems that with Apple patience is needed, wiseguy27. One way not to have a display siting that you can't use is to have all the items shipped together when ready. It also prevents an early charge on the Credit Card.

I happy to hear that you have found something productive to occupy you mind while waiting.

I have had very good luck with packages being delivered in good shape. So that should be the least of your concerns.

khollister

macrumors 6502a
Feb 1, 2003
Orlando, FL
I don't like waiting either, so I rolled down to the Apple store last night and dropped some coin on a 2.3 PM also. Already had the 1G 20" ACD (movin' up from a DP G4 PM). Took the wife along so she could flash her university faculity ID to get the EDU discount. Thought about the 9650, but decided:

1) It isn't really any faster
2) Not likely to buy a 30" ACD anytime soon
3) If I really want whippin' graphics, I'll splurge for the X800 at some point.

Bent over and paid the Apple price for 2x512 RAM DIMM's (instant gratification - my G4 has 1.75GB & I didn't want to go with 512 waiting on mail order). I will probably add another 2 GB as well as a second HD soon.

The only thing I really don't like is only having 2 FW ports. I would add a PCI card with more, but it's not clear there are any available that don't have sleep issues with the G5 :-(

Really nice machine - you'll be very happy. Not sure if you've actually seen one inside & out yet, but the design & construction is quite different from the usual PC stuff. There's not a loose wire in sight. It's also really heavy & really big.

Keith

barneygumble

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2005
mcarnes said:
FedEx has messed up a couple of my packages lately. They also damaged an expensive lightbox and had to come pick it up. What's wrong with those bone heads. They used to be pretty good.

Edit: Not to scare you about your mac, I'm sure yours will arrive just fine.

Their best delivery guy was lost on an island for four years and came back, he then married the girl with the golden angel and retired

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
khollister said:
Really nice machine - you'll be very happy. Not sure if you've actually seen one inside & out yet, but the design & construction is quite different from the usual PC stuff. There's not a loose wire in sight. It's also really heavy & really big.
Keith
Although I've seen them externally and played with them in the Apple stores, I've seen their insides only in pictures on the Apple website (and other websites). I will definitely be seeing them inside out when I upgrade the RAM myself. :) I guess it's these things (like no loose wire in sight) that add up to the final image of quality and thoughtfulness that goes in into these products. It's worth knowing these differences. :)

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
wiseguy27 said:
I ordered my first Power Mac a week ago along with the 20" display. The display came in about 4 days later. The display is sitting pretty in a corner since I can't use it (no PC that has DVI out). Apple logistics was pretty funny - the order status showed "Preparing shipment" for the display for more than a week although they had shipped it a day after the order was placed. They also sent repeated emails asking permission to continue with the order since they had "delays procuring the display." The display arrived but the Apple website still continued to show "Preparing shipment" with a new shipping date of "16 May 2005" for a few days!!!

The Power Mac is coming on Monday - stupid Fedex tracking service - it said "On Fedex vehicle for delivery" in the morning (although it was a Saturday and I doubted if Apple would pay extra for Saturday deliveries for the free ground shipping option). I stayed home all day hoping (without hope) that it would somehow be delivered late afternoon or evening. Should've believed my instincts and past lousy experiences with Fedex tracking. I guess what they meant by "On Fedex vehicle for delivery" was that they have no clue as to what's happening with the package (which is generally the case). Or they probably meant "It's probably loaded on the vehicle and we have no clue when the driver comes in". Could the tracking update be more ambiguous? :mad: I prefer the UPS line "Out for delivery" - a sentence that's a lot clearer and tells me what exactly is happening. I also like how UPS updates the tracking status on a continuous basis in almost real time (whereas Fedex updates them like once in a couple of days or so, and that too with incorrect details).

Now I have to wait two more days!!! :(

After all this ranting about Fedex vs. UPS, I guess it'd be prudent to state the BTO configuration. :)
* Power Mac 2.3GHz (dual)
* 512MB RAM (will add 1GB soon)
* 250GB SATA HDD
* Combo drive (not the new superdrive - not buying them until the dual layer discs become affordable and the drive can write at 8x or more on the dual layer discs).
* ATI Radeon 9650
* Airport Extreme card
* Apple 20" display (did a lot of thinking about the Dell 2005FPW, which was about $200 cheaper, but finally decided to stay away from the company and the "ugly" display :))

Today (Sunday) I'll be picking up a bunch of "missing manual" series of books from the local library! :) That should keep me distracted till Monday! :D I can't wait to use my first Mac - with all the expectations about the machine and the OS built up over the past couple of years, and the fact that I waited so long to finally go ahead with buying a Mac instead of drooling over it, one more day seems like eternity! :D [this smiley actually means I'm in pain]

I know the feeling. My new Power Mac still shows sent to manufacturing, I am hoping it will ship on Monday or Tuesday. :eek:

kwajo.com

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2002
Bay of Fundy
I've been waiting terribly for my powermac, it finally shiped on friday, now if only canadian customs would clear my powermac! :mad: it's been sitting in the montreal airport since Saturday morning, and the FedEx tracker keeps showing delays with the regulatory agency. I WANT MY BABY! errr, I mean G5 ;)

paleck

macrumors 6502a
Apr 11, 2005
with the Tequila!
paleck said:
I know the feeling. My new Power Mac still shows sent to manufacturing, I am hoping it will ship on Monday or Tuesday. :eek:

Mine has been on Sent to Manufacturing since Saturday morning. Apple would save a lot of money on bandwidth for their website if they would get mine shipped, cause then all my traffic would go to UPS's website...not theirs. :D

wiseguy27

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 30, 2005
USA
paleck said:
Mine has been on Sent to Manufacturing since Saturday morning. Apple would save a lot of money on bandwidth for their website if they would get mine shipped, cause then all my traffic would go to UPS's website...not theirs. :D
UPS? I thought they ship only through stupid FedEx. :D Mine went from "Sent to manufacturing" to "Shipped" in a day, and it was a BTO 2.3GHz machine. So it looks like they're fulfilling orders pretty fast, considering these are new models.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.