my new site...

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by krossfyter, Mar 26, 2002.

1. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

This is my first attempt at a web site and web site design so be kind...:D It is very amateurish etc.etc. all the above yadd yadda...you get the point. Im not done, however...I still need more to go....more pics...more info....fixing typos, grammer errors and all that. Just tell me what it looks like from your area....does your browser accept it, and what I need to do to make it better if your browser does accept it.

Dig it!

site is.... www.krossfyter.lostdreams.org

2. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

It's very interesting! I'm a simple design guy myself. Here's a client site I designed on Sunday:

http://www.davidfinfrock.com/home.html

I have a couple things to mention: you do know that your site's font is dependent on the user having Chicago... a lot of PC users probably won't have that font and it will default to Times. I would suggest giving the browser an alternative, such as Verdana. That's a good sans-serif screen font that almost everyone has and would go better with your site than plain ol' Times. :)

Also, I got both vertical and horizontal scroll bars on some of your pages, so I wasn't seeing all of your design at once. I'm on 1024x768 but the majority of surfers still use 800x600, so you may want to consider that. But then again, if you don't mind the scrollbars, that's a moot point.

P.S. I'll take your advice about the flying eyeballs, but wouldn't it make more sense to attack it head on and just blind it? :D

3. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

Good overall layout...you might want to optimize your link images for quicker loading and less jaggies (aliasing)...

4. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Hemingray...

thanks for the comments and help. i did know that times was showing up on the pcs but i didnt get around to figuring out how to fix that. Now I will take your advice and prompt my self. I just have to look up how to do that in dreamweaver. the scroll bars.... hmmmm... so larger screens have problems witht his aye?? perhaps i should take out all the scroll bar option.

i went to your client site and it is very clean and well done. im assuming it does what the client wants it to do information wise and visually. how were you able to do a site for them?? whats the protocal for this? did they just know you or know of you. most of my print media clients come from people who know of me and know me in my area.... so im just curious.

Rower_CPU...

thanks man. so my images need to be optimised right? i will do that...thanks. if i catch what you are saying that is. im new at web site design so forgive me.

:D :D

5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    nice site

browsed with internet explorer and everything showed up nicely. btw, really nice art work-you've got a lot of talent-especially liked the acrylics.

and i won't even make any aggie jokes....:cool:

6. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

7. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Re: nice site

much thanks...really. n you can make all the aggie jokes you want. im more of a UT austin type of guy anyway. the school im at is in the A&M system unfortunatly for me...since A&M does not care much for the arts.
    i do with what i have. i love it in Austin...my kind of town...lots of wierd people.

there is a old guy there running for governor and he parades around town with only his undies on ...riding an old bike with his political platform written on card board... which is wired to his bike... funny very funny and odd...but thats austin for ya.
    this guy is a regular. as common as the UT clock tower.

8. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

yes sir....along with dreamweaver.
    i started using fireworks with dm but switched over to pshop since im more familiar with it.

9. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

The "Save for Web" features do a great job of optimizing your graphics. Just go to the 2-up display to see the orig and the optimized version to find the right mix of file size and graphic quality.

Let me know if I'm going too basic here...I'm not trying to talk down to you...just establishing where you're at with the process...:)

10. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Rower_CPU...

nah i hear ya... initially i thought that but i wasnt sure ...so yeah man im going to do that. thanks. also it is visually...and looking at your byte number.... how one judges the right mix of file size and graphic quality right??

11. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    ahhhh austin

chuy's, the broken spoke, the oasis, jammin at steamboat or antones, shiner bock, a long raft ride down the guadelupe.

austin is the best-can't argue with you about that:D

man, do i miss good tex-mex food....

12. Rower_CPU Moderator emeritus

Rower_CPU

kross:
    You got it. You need to keep in mind what types of connection speeds people will be using to access your site. If you're pretty sure everyone will be Cable/DSL or better, you can get away with beautiful images that have larger file sizes. Most people try to get rollover buttons and UI elements down to a few KB so that users won't have to wait very long to actually use your site.

Another option is to go more text-based. My web-site (link's in my sig) uses code for text rollovers and table layouts to save on overall file size.

My opinion with web-design is that you learn by doing. You can use books and online tutorials to help you out, but if you don't get down into HTML you're just scratching the surface. I started out with Dreamweaver two years ago. I almost never used the code view, because I didn't want to know what was going on back there. Now that I'm more familiar with it I spend most of my time there.

You're already off to a good start by trying out some things and asking for feedback. There's a lot of other web-design people here. Lots of them are more advanced than me. But we're all willing to share experiences and advice.

13. teabgs macrumors 68030

teabgs

Got some bad news...

The only part that shows up on my browser is the background and you name/Portfolio. I get one broken image link and that's it.

Im using Netscape 4.75 on OS9 on a 6500 So, maybe nobody has checked that out. You wanna make sure older computers can check your site out too. I'm sure its good, and I wish I could see it from other comments. Well, just thought youd want to know. Let me know when you ve fixed it and I'll check again.

14. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nice overall design, great art.

My only comment to you is to work on the navigation. The home page has one link that takes you to a second page, that really should be the home page. From there you have several choices but once you go deeper into the site, you have to rely on the 'back' button to see what else is available.

I'd create a menu bar and have it carry over to all the pages. But that's my style. If you don't like that, at least put a navigation button/link on all the pages that takes you home to the menu page.

my 2¢

15. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

im using mozilla .99+ and have the same problem teabgs got.

when using dreamweaver you can preview your page in various browsers in the file menu. you should check all of your pages with ie for os9, and any other browser. ie for os9 displays things differently than all other browsers. so check thinsg with that and then check it with mozilla and you should be fine.

also when in photoshop and using the export for web you will notice a load time at the bottom of the window. this will let you know how long it will take a user with a given connection speed to load that one image.

also in dreamweaver you can define your site. this makes broken links and file organization much easier.

and lastly fireworks isnt really a replacement for photoshop. photoshop lets you edit bitmap images. fireworks lets you edit vector images. firworks main function though is to create graphical tables for websites. you know those websites with one big image with different parts being links? those are fireworks types of websites. fireworks lets you make your image, then slice it up into parts that will be the different parts of the table. before using any macromedia products i would suggest going through the tutorials provided. they teach you all the basics and are very fast. you have a lot of graphical talent you are just missing some of the knowledge, and much of that knowledge you could have gotten from the tutorials.

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I had no idea u could paint....I thought the artwork was great!

I've been an artist all my life....ever since I could remember....I've drawn and been artistic...anytime I've tried a new medium....I've picked it up without any problems....

except for painting....in the past I didn't do so well with painting....mainly because I tried to be precise...

which is where photography acted as therapy for me....it helped me to see things in a completely different light....it's much more interesting to explore the world from a surrealistic view sometimes...he he he :p

17. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Gods No! Flying Eyeballs are highly agressive spellcasters and psionicists that attack line-of-sight! The best response is a plasma or light based attack through a mirror or........if you have one: a hand grenade.:D

AD&D Monstruous Compendium: Beholder.

18. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

No problem! When I was talking about the scroll bars, I meant people with smaller screens (like 800x600 or the poor few who still use 640x480.) People with 1024x768 and greater resolutions shouldn't have a problem. But since a lot of people still use 800x600, that's why I mentioned it.

Thanks! Yes, that's the first thing I asked him, is what sort of image he wanted his web site to convey. My father owns a graphic design business, so once in awhile he'll throw me a small-scale freelance web job. The client had met my father through a wedding that he was doing photography for. It's all about networking! :D

19. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Hmm.... okay, I'm short on hand grenades right now... how about poison-tipped flechettes or a high-powered canister filled with mace? :D

20. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

21. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Yes. I went and took everyones advice and fixed it up a bit more.
    Im still having problems but I guess that comes with ther terrority.
    It is up now. It seems that it is very complicated to please everyone...every browser mac or pc. So i tried pleasing what I can right now. Is there any kind of html code that fixes your website dimension proportanate to the viewers monitor? I noticed that on a pc with a different monitor size i had to scrol over to see some text...im wondering if this can be miracolously fixed using some sort of secret html code?? If so then spit it out if not then tell me how i can best fix this situation if possible.

I checked my site on IE and Netscape on the mac and IE on the pc but thats it. I can do when trying to fix my page...but im noticing that it is very very hard to please umm exaclty the way i want it...IE on a mac im having no trouble or qualms with. Im assuming trying to fit Mozilla in the picture would give me a heart attack so im not going there yet. Thanks for everyones help. Im learning more and more from your responses.

22. krossfyter thread starter macrumors 601

krossfyter

Well cool! I too have been in art most of my life. I started painting back when I was a senior in high school...i painted traditional crap though. The paintings and drawing I have up were the culmunation of 2 years generally....all in my undergrad years. I consider that my political-social pop period. I look back on the paintings now and i say "man ...im going to move away from that". I just got into the issues and went at it with a minimalist, figurative style on canvas. Every bit of it is not decrative at all. I mean you wont see just anyone hang that crap up in thier room...you know what i mean? I just used the painting medium as a social issue platform. Now I want to move more into making paintings that are pleasing on most peoples walls while keeping my conceptual issue (meaning) depth...!

I would like to see some of your pictures if at all possible...you should send some to me through e-mail if possible. Im quite fond of photography i just never got around to learning the technical aspect of it. My girlfriend loves photography and she does it on her spare time.

Right now im trying to move my artistic talent (what little i might have...depending on your standrd..hehe) to the digital realm. However in order for me to do that I must have a some baisc technical skills to expose it. Thats the hard part!!! Learning the tech stuff. But im not giving up.

23. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

Welcome to the world of web design, my friend. :D

As you've already found out, it can be quite difficult to design a site that looks exactly the same in all browsers, all platforms, scales well at all resolutions, and can function with just 256 web colors. That is the web designer's dream web site! Unfortunately, that rarely happens. All you can do is focus on the configuration that the majority of your viewers will be using (in my case, it's people with Windoze running IE 5.x or greater at 800x600 or greater). You'll never be able to please 100% of the crowd, so focus on that.

That's my opinion!

24. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Nice update. I like the fonts much better now.

Making every browser the display a page the same way is really difficult and near impossible in some cases. Cascading style sheets help, but if you want the same look and feel, try getting your hands on Flash.

Check this site out, it makes me so envious.

http://www.eyecandystudios.net

Its more on the extreme end of Flash, but some of the portfolio sections work amazingly well. I'm right in the middle of redoing some of my sites and after seeing this, it just inspired me even more.

25. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I've said many times that I'm not a web designer...but I do have some good advice...

keep copies of older versions of browsers....that way u can ensure if someone doesn't have the latest thing that they can still view your site. There's nothing that will divert traffic from your more than something that won't load properly...:p