Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
Nice work. Was the video card a flashed PC version by any chance?

Most definitely. AFAIK, there never was a Mac with a GeForce 6200 AGP card. Not even sure where the 6200 Mac ROM came from (was there an iMac with a similar nVidia chip?), but these cards are all over eBay. Other than the hard to find Radeon 9700's and the rare & expensive black PCB Radeon 9800's, I think the 6200 is the 'best' available card that will fit in a Cube.

I have a standard Mac Edition Radeon 9800 in the G4 tower that I may try to squeeze in to the Cube if/when I get a PowerLogix Clear Case, but it will most assuredly have to be externally powered. But I suspect the card is simply too big regardless of what enclosure the Cube goes in to.

IJ Reilly

macrumors P6
Jul 16, 2002
Palookaville
I'm not familiar with that card, but I whenever a problem crops up with a video card, I always suspect flashing as the cause. It's a bit of a Frankenstein operation. Nice to hear yours is working now though!

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
For those still interested in the thread, Leopard is running quite nicely on the upgraded Cube...

GPU temps seem to idle higher than it did with 10.4.11, though I suppose that's to be expected since 10.5 makes more use of the GPU than 10.4 did, though that will be remedied by a fan soon enough.

Edit:
Though the workspace isn't cleaned up yet, here's a couple of new pics.
cubedesk1.jpg

cubedesk2.jpg

xraydoc

Contributor
Original poster
Oct 9, 2005
You have no fan on this rig?

Base fan, yes.
Graphics card (GPU) fan, no (fanless GeForce 6200) - but not for long. Ordered a VGA-style Zalman fan from NewEgg. Should arrive Monday or Tuesday. GPU temps have been around 72°C at idle, which I think is too high (plus weather has been hot lately), so I think a GPU fan is required.

I'm also going to think about a small fan aimed at the VRM, running at 5V or less, to keep it cool as well. I can feel some of the heat it creates though the case. I can't imagine how hot it would get had the CPU swap not bypassed it altogether.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.