My new "unstable" ibook

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by hikeNM, May 20, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502a

Got my new 12 inch iBook in on Tuesday. And all I can say wow!! I love the machine. A few questions though:

After a day or so, it got where it has a slight wobble, like one of the feet on the bottom is shorter than the others. It wobbles when I type enough to really jiggle the screen. I'm not sure if it was like this when I took it out of the box. Could the heat from running it for a day warp the bottom case enough to cause this? Also, I live close to an Apple Store. If I took it there could they fix it? It seems a slightly longer rubber pad on bottom would be an easy fix

Also, it gets warmer than I expected, especially to the left of the mousepad. To the right of the mousepad is very cool, but he left is borderline uncomfortable. Is this normal? I know that there's been a recall on certain batteries for 12 inchers, but I haven't had a chance to check to see if mine is one that needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance.

2. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Hi, some 12" iBooks have a slight "twist" to them and it shouldn't be like that. I would see if they can offer another one if it really bothers you or makes typing difficult. Now as far as the heat goes your HDD is in the left lower corner and will get a bit warm on the bottom. If it's warm on the top I would again question it as with the uneven case. My iBook has never gotten warm to the point where it felt uncomfortable.
    Has the fan been on since you got it or not? Just thought I'd ask as it may not be going on for you until it gets really warm (one more thing to look for).

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

The fan has come on once while I was using it yesterday. I have a TiBook and the bottom will always get warm in warmer weather, which I can stand, but the top never will. That's why I raised an eyebrow at this one

Are you telling me that mine may be defective?

4. macrumors 65816

buryyourbrideau

go to versiontracker and download temperature monitor

then run it and post when it gets to the highest temp

it should not go over 150 f

anything of that and lower is perfectly fine

it is normal for the hdd to get warm on either the top or bottom under heavy load

youre welcome :)

5. thread starter macrumors 6502a

OK, will do.

6. macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Thanks for the name of that app. I forgot all about that. Anyway my iBook is running @ 113 F and doesn't feel hot to the touch.

7. macrumors newbie

The HD + cpu is located left of the mousepad so that explains the heat. the ibook is already considered cool compared to my acer lappy.