My new web site is (finally) up!

Discussion in 'Community' started by hotwire132002, Aug 31, 2004.

1. hotwire132002 macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I finally posted the new version of my web site. It's still a bit of a work in progress, which is clear if you go to some of the areas that are pretty much plain text. However, since the old site hadn't been updated since June, I figured I'd get the new one up ASAP and worry about looks later.

Anyway, the link to the site it in my sig--tell me what you think! (And if you find any glitches--I.E. wrong link or missing link)

2. iLikeMyiMac macrumors 6502a

iLikeMyiMac

Your corepc looks like a pretty nice machine.
    Also I get a 404 error when I go to the netbandits movie and click on either the corepc or portacore links in the title bar.

3. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

There's waaaaaaay too much horizontal scrolling. Things are all over the place. Check it out; I've had this problem with stuff, too, and usually, it's not too difficult to fix.

4. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

Not bad...a word of advice (in addition to what has been mentioned)...I would go through your text and edit for clarity, sentence-structure, spelling and the like...I noticed a few typos and mistakes like ending a sentence with a proposition...

I realize you are only in HS(right?), and some may appreciate the matter-of-fact feel of your presentation, but from the perspective of being a business, it is only professional to make everything as polished and elegant as possible.

That said, my hat is off to you...you don't even want to know what I was doing at your age...good for you. I wish you all the best. With a few tweaks, it will be a nice site...

Curious about the computers too...

5. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

What resolution are you running at? It's optimized for 800x600 and higher. Also, what browser are you running?

And what do you mean by "things are all over the place"? I'm just wondering if there's a glitch in how things are being displayed.

6. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I haven't had a chance to run spell check, but that is a good point. Thanks for the advice!

7. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Sorry about the vagueness. I'm running Internet Explorer 6 at 1280x1024. The problem, under further inspection, seems to occur only under the Portacore heading. Your top menu bar and your "New Portacore Model" graphic both reside very far to the right, such that they do not appear in the default area of the window; that is, they are far to the right of the 'specs' section of the pages.

Additionally, the CorePC and Movies section links do not work.

And as one last thing, I'd just make the friendly suggestion that you avoid using tables. You can do all that and more with CSS, which is more elegant and flexible.

One thing that I did once to make sure that things were in line was to write a formula in Javascript that resized various elements and the window itself based on monitor resolution. The formula started distorting at 8x6 and above 12x10, but it hit the two key resolutions of 10x7 and 12x10. Better yet would be to write instructions for such resizing tailor-made for each of a number of monitor resolutions. I was just too lazy to do that and I made a quick-fix formula.

Anyway, hope some of this is useful.

8. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I just worked on the navigation structure and I believe I fixed the problems--But if anyone finds any more, post them here!

9. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the problems. As to using CSS, I'm not very familiar with it. Anywhere you'd suggest to learn it? (Though I'm not going to redo this site any time soon... but for future use it'd be nice.)

Also, have you checked back to check the CorePC and Movies links? I think I fixed them, but I'm not sure if you posted before or after. Thanks!

10. hotwire132002 thread starter macrumors 65816

hotwire132002

I checked out the site in IE 5.2 (Mac), and I couldn't see your problem :confused:

I don't have a PeeCee, so I can't check out IE 6--but in every program I tested the site in, it looked fine. :confused: