My newly aquired Imac (Rev B)

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Myradon, May 8, 2005.

1. Myradon macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2005

A friend of mine gave me this machine over the week end. I booted it up twice, and was very impressed as this is really my first time working on or exploring an apple. now here is the problem. As with most things, you get what you pay for..

I connect the power cord
    I connect the USB keyboard and mouse
    I hit the power button on the keyboard.
    nothing happens.

The odd thing is this happens some times. I could not get the machine to work in my bedroom, but it worked in the kitchen. Until I turned it off, and tried to power it up again latter, and nothing.

Any hints on what could be going on, or a fix?
    Also, is it possible to network this computer with a Windows XP machine in order to share the Internet?
  2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

Oct 11, 2004
    On the Left Coast - Victoria BC Canada
    My easy guess would be a dead or dying PRAM battery. Fortunately, a cheap fix 1/2AA 3.6V Lithium, should be about $8

Networking the two will require an Ethernet hub and some cables. But as cheap as Ethernet Router/Gateways are, you're probably better with one of those to share the internet connection.
  3. Myradon thread starter macrumors newbie

Feb 25, 2005
    A quick google search of PRAM battery gave me this...

"The classic symptom is when a Mac starts up in Black and White (the Monitors control panel is set to Black & White), with the date set in 1956."

The B&W mode does not apply, but the date change sure does. Thanks Canada Ram!