My Next Eventual Car

Discussion in 'Community' started by JesseJames, Feb 1, 2004.

1. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

Well, after much deliberation and perusing auto websites--reading reviews, specs, owner comments. I've whittled the field down to 2 contenders for my driving enjoyment for the next 5 years at least.
    It's either going to be the 2004 Mitsubishi Lancer Ralliart sedan with 5-speed. Or the soon to be in showrooms replacement of Chevrolets venerable Cavalier--the Cobalt. The coupe model with a 5-speed. There will be a supercharged version that will crank out 200hp versus the 170hp of the trim that I've decided on.
    Both look like real good cars. I'm sure I won't be disappointed with Mitsubishi should I choose that. But I have a GM Card that I've been using lately and I've got GM Points to redeem.
    At least the headache is over and the teeth-gnashing done. They are both sensible cars and since I like DRIVING (on a budget), I can't go wrong.
    Now, to save up the down-payment while pursuing other endeavors. ;)

2. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

At least you're skipping GM's rather bland G6...

4. JesseJames thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dude, I was so disappointed with the new G6. The old concept photos made it look low-slung and mean. But the production car is just more of the same.
    Maybe the GXP trim will give it the teeth it needs. But of course, it will be pushing 30k.
    So disappointed.

5. hacking_4_b33r macrumors newbie

my dream mobile

here's my future baby i plan on driving her down the mountainsides...i can get 50 miles to the gallon on this hawg.[​IMG]

6. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

I will be trading my 2003 Honda Civic Hybrid in for a 2005 Toyota Highlander Hybrid in about a year. I have decided that I miss my SUV. This way I can be able to haul stuff around and still be environmentally friendly.

Hickman

7. iGav macrumors G3

I'd go with the Mitsubishi.

We don't get the Lancer range over here, the nearest we get is the Carisma (something it's lacking in) or the fire breathing Evolution 8 model.

So then, the Lancer Ralliart whats the specs??

Also, why have Mitsubishi America changed it's snout?? the euro/WRC one is much cooler IMHO.

8. evoluzione macrumors 68010

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    i'm with iGAV, go with the Mitsubishi...

i'm not sure what the RalliArt specs are, but I think the base Lancer is pretty crappy, get the best one you can afford, and if you like driving, and if you can stretch, go for the new evolution 9 when it comes out. outstanding car.

iGAV ... i think they changed the nose for front impact regs, not sure.

9. crenz macrumors 6502a

crenz

10. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

I don't see how the regular Lancers are worth it. They are slow and underpowered, have softer suspensions, lack all of the goods, and look ugly with all the Evo skin stripped off. But then again, I'm a Subaru kind of guy, so it'd take a lot to get me to look at a Lancer.

11. cr2sh macrumors 68030

cr2sh

I've rented Lancers and Cavaliers.. the Lancer is my preference of the two. The Cavalier has such a tight interior.. at 6' I couldn't get the seat back far enough to be comfortable. I'm sure you've test driven both many times so, go with your gut.

I would take a Toyota Corolla over both.. the new 170hp XRS isn't bad looking.

[​IMG]

12. cubist macrumors 68020

How about that Ford GT they advertized just before the SB? It looks like it would be fun to drive.

13. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

Reminds me of a Simpons scene where Homer, wearing a monacle, is test driving a Bentley to score some free spa tickets:

Homer: [forced British accent] What advantages does this motor car have over, say, a train -- which I could also afford?

:D

Hickman, how is the Civic Hybrid? Does it have enough power when you need it? I wouldn't want to be one of those people who's only up to 50mph a quarter mile onto the highway. I should really get my btut out test driving...

14. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Re: My Next Eventual Car

Good luck on getting a new car. I know how hard it can be to get a new ride.

The Cobalt looks great, but be wary of getting a car in its first year.

The Mitsu's are strong car''s; but due to the massive rebates they seem to offer, the trade-in value suffers. Chevy is starting to see the same effect.

Even though you plan on keeping the car 5 years, if you have an accident and want to trade out, that is where a good depreciation is helpful. Take it from someone that has been there.

For me the Subaru Baja Sport rules! The base engine seems to be more than enough for most people IMO.

Attached Files:

15. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Go GM. GM Rocks (And all of its subsidiaries and partners including Subaru).

Remember, Apple is the Caddilac of Computers.

TEG

16. hacking_4_b33r macrumors newbie

tooo funny, i was reading this in class and started laughing aloud and my class now thinks i have serious issues.

17. Dros macrumors 6502

I was thinking of getting the new Toyota Prius. Is that dumb? I don't actually drive that much... walk to work. But I do sometimes take longer trips. So the savings with gas would not be substantial. I do get tax credit in my state. I have a 13 year old Honda Civic hatchback, and it gets 40 mpg fully loaded with stuff on the highway. Just as a matter of principle it would be hard for me to accept getting worse mileage after 13 years. The Prius is one of the few cars that is a step up in size that doesn't think 28 mpg is something to crow about.

But a good Corolla model, say, would be several thousand cheaper. I don't care THAT much about the environment, and me walking in to work is already doing my part to keep the environment clean. And yet, that is the car I think I would like. Am I just some big sucker? Anybody here drive one of the new models? Anybody here think they are terrible?

18. madoka macrumors 6502

madoka

Seriously, I disagree. I just went to the GM Auto Show in Motion event where GM bought over 100 different cars (both GM and competitors) for test drives. I ended up test driving about 40 different cars. It became obvious to everybody there that the GM cars were far outclassed by the competition. It got to the point where no one was lining up to even test drive them. I mean the lines were EMPTY. The employees were asking anybody waiting for the other cars if there was any interest in immediately driving, say a Buick Rivera as it was the ONLY car not being currently driven. There were about 75 of us waiting in line and not a single person budged. I also remember when someone stepped into the line to test drive a Saturn Vue and was the only person to do so. The employee was so surprised that someone wanted to test drive it that he asked, "Are you sure you want to test drive the Saturn Vue?" Everybody laughed.

BTW, Jobs refers to Apple as the BMW of computers.

19. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Here's my next eventual car.

Oh, you can't see the picture? I wonder why. ;)

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

That's a horrible thing to say about Apple.

GM is all about hype and budget. I keep thinking that GM will actually produce better than average cars, but they continue to provide below average results.

I was quite impressed with the Pontiac Vibe until I sat in one. Everything was incredibly cheap. I tried the Toyota Matrix the same day. Since it's basically the same car, I was surprised to find the Toyota so much nicer.

Go with the Mitsubishi. It won't underwhelm you.

21. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Civic Hybrid

The Honda Civic Hybrid is an awesome car. It has plenty of get up and go too. 0-60 in under 10 seconds. Not fast, but more than enough for a commuter car. The only bad thing about it is that the rear seats don't fold which limits cargo versatility.

I just need more cargo room. I simply cannot wait until the Highlander Hybrid comes out.

Hickman

22. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

dros- my dad just got a new prius and my brother has a civic hybrid (manual)... i think that either car would be pretty sweet

some differences between them

prius- bigger, supposedly better gas mileage (though the only automatic thing could hurt some people's ability to get high mileage... there's sort of a "trick" to driving these things...), batteries not in the way of cargo area, more "high tech" with optional maps and all that jazz... a bit weird to look out the rear window... the shape of the car kinda blocks your view a bit

civic- apparently drives pretty much exactly like a gas car... with the manual especially, you can really do a good job of beating the labeled gas mileage... doesn't look like a space ship...

hope that helps a bit

from what i've seen, they both are pretty dang good at what they do (ie, reducing gas use, and yet driving pretty much just like gas cars).. for your uses (you don't mention hauling a ton of stuff or need for 4wd), i think that either or would be good... if you don't need all the gadgets and whatnot, i personally think the civic is better, if only because it looks more normal. hah

23. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

patrick0brien

-Come to daddy in 2005!

The 2006 4-Series:

Attached Files:

24. jayscheuerle macrumors 68020

jayscheuerle

Today I got to work in my black 2002 Rockports...:D

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

That looks like our local MBTA Commuter Rail, but ours run with diesel. I travel around Boston on a Bus and Trolley.