My next performance question

Discussion in 'Games' started by tinydancer, Sep 7, 2004.

1. tinydancer macrumors regular

You folks answered my questions about iMacs and the graphics card concerns I had. But to go a step further....if the new iMac is sub-par with regards to graphics card horse power, then how do you guys feel about a Dual 2.5 GHz power mac with a ATI Radeon 9600 XT. Will this card give me the performace I need, and/or will a power mac allow me to upgrade to better cards in the future? Some of you have advised me to get a PC for gaming. I understand the logic, but I cannot bring myself to buy a PC :eek: I know you hardcore mac addicts can empathize. :cool: Holla

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

My Dual-2.0 with a 9600 Pro - less than the 9600 XT - works fine for me (nothing too pressing, though - Halo, WCIII, etc.). I think the dual-2.5/9600XT combo should work nicely until you can afford the 6800 Ultra.

3. JOD8FY macrumors 6502a

JOD8FY

Why don't you get the Dual 2.0Ghz with the 6800 Ultra? Even still, the 9600 XT will suit your needs.

JOD8FY

4. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

or the dual 2.0 with the Radeon 9800 + extra RAM? I would think that for the same money, that would outperform a dual 2.5 with the 9600 and less RAM.

5. benpatient macrumors 68000

look....honestly....don't buy a Mac for gaming. If you're going to buy a Mac, that's great. You'll love it, and it will do lots of stuff you like. If you're interested enough in games to come find a forum and ask questions about how they will run, then you're probably too serious about games to be satisfied with a Mac's ability and flexibility in the game world.

Buy a dual 1.8 with some more RAM and the console of your preference, or buy a dual 1.8 and get someone to build you a Shuttle-sized PC gaming rig.

if you get a normal, non ADC-based LCD or CRT display, you should be able to run both machines through it. You can set the mini-PC on top of the G5 or something.

if you're looking for a large LCD, might i recommend the Samsung SyncMaster 213T? It's...well...21.3 inches of pure viewing satisfaction.

6. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

I love this guy :D

Good answer.

7. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

A dual 2.5 with the 9600XT will be a great combo. Then you can upgrade to a better card later, once they are cheaper.

8. benpatient macrumors 68000

a great combo for so-so gaming on today's titles and a big question mark for tomorrow....not exactly a good 3000 dollar investment if he isn't going to be using...and needing...the premium 2.5 machine...

It isn't enough faster than the dual 2.0 to justify the difference in cost right now unless you simply must have the best.

9. tinydancer thread starter macrumors regular

I am planning on getting into video production and editing as a small business, so I really want a mac. I have a G4 iMac right now and I love it. I am not a hardcore gamer per se, but I do like to get it on now and then. When I play I want my sh*! tight...you know what I mean. So, it isn't imperative that I get a mac just for gaming, I just want to know which bells and whistles to get and add, in order to be able to get it on when the spirit moves me. What do you say???
    If I do get the G5 dual 2.5, which card should I get ati 9800 xt or nvidia 6800?

10. applekid macrumors 68020

Video editing means you'll need that DP 2.5 GHz. You will be able to upgrade the card with a 9800 Pro/XT/SE, nVidia FX 6800 Ultra, and whatever else will be available as a AGP card (if the AGP X800 ever comes to the Mac, that'd be next. Doesn't seem like the PCI-Express transition has moved quickly, so I'll assume the AGP slot won't be outdated for at least a year or two).

It doesn't sound like your a big gamer, so I'll say the Dual 2.5 GHz is sufficient. If you feel you must having a gaming machine, buy a console, or build a PC.

11. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

dude, if you've got to have a mac to game, this is the really fast:

dual 2.0
    Raid 0/2x250GB Hard drives (or whatever drive you choose)
    9800XT (if it doesn't satisfy you, eBay it and buy a 6800Ultra)

My dual 1.8 loads every game faster than my friends dual 2.0 because of the striped drives. Game play isn't as fast because he's got a 9800pro...

Don't let anyone tell you that the 9600pro/XT will do the trick... it plays halo acceptably, but every time i get in a heavy fight, i REALLY notice the choppienes... and i've got to have the bells and whistles enabled...
    I've been in the market for a new graphics card since i got my dual G5 :( I just can't bring myself to spend 340 bucks on a card that is underclocked and won't meet future games with attitude (9800pro se). So i'd say go 9800XT or nvidia 6800 ultra. It all comes down to how much money you have... :D