My night with Applespider

Discussion in 'Community' started by Blue Velvet, Apr 13, 2005.

1. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Have you ever met anyone from these forums?
    How did your initial impression of them match the idea of them that you had got from reading their posts?
    ---------------------------------------------------------------

Tonight, I met up with Applespider, the first person I've ever met from these forums.

Although I was extremely apprehensive at first, we had a good and often very funny time with drinks & dinner in Chelsea. Talked about Macs, San Francisco, work, MR & you guys... it was nice to put a face and voice to the name although the sober-minded voice of reason on these boards was, in real life, an irreverent and extremely jolly woman who loves her Mac to bits. A class lady and a lovely evening out with good food and great company... ;) :)

2. pivo6 macrumors 68000

pivo6

There have been different "Geekfests" done in the past, including one in London if I recall. I haven't been to any, but from what I remember reading about, it was a fun time.

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I haven't met any other forum members, but I know that another forum member lives near enough to me that I would consider meeting this person. I wonder if there are any other MacRumors Forums members near me.

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

Yeah I did once, and I ate him and absorbed his powers. His powers sucked though. Oh well.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have yet to meet up with anyone from the forums, but a chicago gathering certainly would be fun at some point

glad that you two ladies had a wonderful night

6. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Gosh, I'm blushing :eek: But would have to reply likewise! As Blue knows (now), I've met a few people from various forums (fori?) over the years but as expected meeting someone from MR in person was just as I expected. We are one of the friendliest internet communities that I've come across and meeting Blue just proved that we can be just as charming in real life. ;)

7. Daveway macrumors 68040

Daveway

Sounded like fun Blue. Unfortunately no one around me is in these forums I think. Neoelectric lives about 10 miles away from me though.

Tell me more... ;)

8. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm... I was expecting something a little more titillating what with the thread title and all... :p

Glad you guys had fun though.

9. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

I hate the way it takes FOREVER for people to cook... its like what, 350 degrees for 8 hours or something? And all the prepwork... :rolleyes:

At least the powers are tasty on the way down, wouldn't you agree?

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

I think the word you were thinking of is "fora". :cool:

11. Blue Velvet thread starter Moderator emeritus

Randy old goat... :eek: :D

So, have you met anyone from these boards?

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Lol... that was blatant false advertising!

Nope, there's only one other member who's near enough to meet for dinner or drinks and he's far more of the techie-type than I am I think. Not positive though.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yup! Sorry... my Latin education scurries off and hides in the back of my mind after a few drinks! For some reason, I decided that forum must be linked to the 'servus, servum, servi, servo' and came up for fori for the plural... My Latin teacher would be turning in her grave.... if she were dead. :rolleyes:

14. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Suddenly I thought of this (slightly off-topic, but I guarantee there will be some of you laughing):

15. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

16. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

classic :D

17. vniow macrumors G4

Damn, and here I was thinking this was a PG-13 forum...until I saw the title.

Anyhoo, I've only met one other person from here, patricko'brien. He spotted me at a Fry's store in San Jose once. I invited him to my birthday party later. :)

-Ani

18. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I guess you're quite easy to spot, what with the nun's habit and the eye-patch... :D

19. thecow macrumors 6502

LOL. That's great! I'm in Latin 3 right now, so I know what all of that stuff is.

I have a question to all of you that have taken or are currently taking Latin: Are all Latin teachers a bit hyper and strange? All three of the teachers that I have had are a bit odd and/or hyper. My grandmother and grandfather said that all of the Latin teachers that they had were also a bit weird/hyper. I am starting to see a trend. The teacher that I have now definitely has ADHD and she also drinks a lot of coffee. She has thrown stuff out of the window and her classes are always, well, a bit interesting. She is a very good teacher though.

I know that one member here is very close to where I live, but I am only 14 and he has a wife and kids so he is a good bit older than me. Also my parents already think that I spend way too much time on here and they would think it's a bit weird if I wanted to meet some other MR member in real life.

20. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

All classicists are a bit strange. I should know.

21. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

As a soon to be single in the DV area, I am looking towards some "meets and greets" among the locals...

22. njmac macrumors 68000

njmac

I've never met anyone from here

OT: why take Latin?

23. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you plan to become a doctor or a lawyer, Latin is used quite a bit in medical and legal terminology. Also, since Latin is the basis for many Romance languages, knowledge of Latin can help you to understand those languages better. (Also, if you plan to rise to a high position in the Catholic Church, you have to understand Latin, since many scriptural texts are written in Latin.)

24. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Translation: it's completely useless. I took a year of HS Latin, so trust me, I know! Clay's just giving the full-employment for Latin teachers propaganda. ;)

25. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Technically, I did answer the question "Why take Latin?" You answered the question "Why should I NOT take Latin?" ;)

Ironically, Latin is just about the most "logical" language ever invented, because it lacks most idioms and its syntax is relatively straightforward (especially compared to English, which is a total nightmare of exceptions).