My NOTES are GONE!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by leandromp, Jul 8, 2009.

1. macrumors regular

I don't know what's wrong with this.
    I had a lot of really important notes in my phone, and it was kinda hard to find an expecific one, i know i can look at my notes in search, but i decided to delete it, because it was just a mess. I synced my phone earlier today and decided to delete a few of my notes from my phone.

So, the notes were on my mac but not on my phone!

I added a few songs 10 minutes ago, and i went to Mail on my mac and decided to continue a story i was writing and i don't see it there nor those notes i deleted from my phone.

How can i get them back?

2. macrumors 6502a

tayshon

You can restore from a old back-up where you know that specific note was on.

3. macrumors regular

do you have a ME account? if you do and u sync your notes they are going to delete off ur phone and computer. if you have a time machine back up you might be able to get them back or if your recent phone back up had them u might be able to do a restore from back up and get them.

4. macrumors 6502a

Try restoring from a backup.
    Hope you have time machine on and can find them there.

If you have note-syncing turned on, then your notes are going to sync. That is the entire point. If you delete or edit one on the phone it will do the same on the computer. If you do something to a note on the computer, the changes will get synced to the phone. If you don't want this functionality then don't turn note-syncing on.

If you want to sync notes but not always store them on your iPhone... Then I would suggest moving the note from Mail into a text document or some other note program on your computer so that you can delete the note from the phone without it getting deleted from your computer.

5. thread starter macrumors regular

I have a ME account but i didn't sync my notes there.

I don't have a time machine.

I don't have an old back up. It appears the most recent one, the one where i noticed they were gone.

But this doesn't make any sense tho! if you don't have it on your phone, your not gonna have it on your computer either. No sense at all! Those were really important notes :mad:

6. macrumors 6502a

Check in ~/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup to see if there are others. Hold Option down when you click the button to pick a backup? Not sure if that works, never tried.

Anyways. You click "sync" notes... I'm not sure why you think it would mean anything different. If you delete an app on your phone do you want it to sync back on next time you sync? No, because then it wouldn't be SYNCING. Same with calendars and emails. If you delete them one place then syncing means it deletes them all the other places too. Notes are no different.

7. thread starter macrumors regular

I understand that, but i'm still gonna have the app on my computer. So, that's not a good example. It should stay on the mac. That's all i'm saying.

Thanks for your advice, i'll try it after work.

8. macrumors 68040

Badandy

So wait, you deleted them on the iPhone and didn't want them deleted on the computer?

9. thread starter macrumors regular

I synced all my notes on the computer and then deleted them on my phone. Then i went back on my computer to finish my notes and they were gone.

10. macrumors 68040

Badandy

Well ya. You deleted them. How awful would informatio managers be if you had to delete things in two places, add things in two places, and constantly be juggling between the two?

11. macrumors 65816

I would say it behaved as expected, but to be fair, not everything behaves that way. For example, deleting an app from your phone will not remove it your iTunes, it simply disconnects the sync.

12. thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. Everything BUT the notes.
    I just assumed it would "behaved" the same way too!
    How would i know their were going to be deleted from my computer anyways? At least a pop-up or something to let me know!!

13. macrumors 68040

Badandy

Actually, EVERYTHING except the apps sync normally. Syncing means that most recent changes (including deletion) are reflected wherever you're syncing. If this wasn't the case, adding/deleting appointments and calendar events and everything else would be absolute hell. I know this isn't helping you because I don't have a solution (I mean, check in the trash or deleted messages or something), but that is the way syncing works and just wanted to inform you.