My office blocks webmail sites - bypass?

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by daytona63, Apr 2, 2003.

1. daytona63 macrumors member

Feb 11, 2002
    San Diego, CA
    I'm trying to access webmail, but my office blocks access to it, along with Yahoo!, Hotmail, etc. Is there some way to bypass this? If I could ssh or something to my Mac at home, would that help at all? Thanks, this is driving me nuts.
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    If it is blocked it is blocked for a reason, they do the same at my work. Accessing external e-mail is a serious security risk. I would advise that you DO NOT attempt to get around it, allthough I doubt you will be able to anyway if your network people are any good.
  3. Giaguara macrumors 6502a

Nov 22, 2002
    install Mutt to your home mac. ( ) and then ssh to your home mac - it will enable you to read your mails with whichever editor you want; vi, vim, emacs, pico etc. all you need is a sssh :)

if you need any help with that, pm.
  4. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

Jul 22, 2002
    Tacoma, WA
    Along with the previous post, I would be careful with trying to by pass network regulations. I used to work as a network admin and I have had to give severe penalities to people for by-passing regulations (basically at first I made them lax because 99% of the people were trust worthy, when a new employee came in she ruined it all). This resuleted in a 3 day downtime on the network as the T-1 was shut down, the WAN got shut down etc...

Although you may be able to read your email, do you want to be the person resonsible for everyone else's losses?

PS. There is a REALLY easy way to get around it, just use a Proxy. There are lots of free ones floating around, you just need to look for them.
  5. Les Kern macrumors 68040

Les Kern

Apr 26, 2002
    Did you actually ask the IT dept to open it? If not, do so. If they say no, then get back to work. Not much else will get you sacked quicker than trying to bypass security. Hell, I'd can you in a heartbeat. Tough love, man.
  6. daniel77 macrumors 6502

Oct 13, 2002
    seattle, wa
  7. daytona63 thread starter macrumors member

Feb 11, 2002
    San Diego, CA

Hey, thanks everybody for the info and the advice. Solutions such as proxies are good to know for emergency-type situations, and the info about being able to dial on my home machine to get my e-mail is a great option as well (and as far as I know, it's not against any rules at my work). It's always good to know this kind of stuff. I just wanted to know my options - thanks for the help!
  8. steeleclipse macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2002
    correct me if im wrong, but can't most network protcol detect hacks?
  9. Nipsy macrumors 65816

Jan 19, 2002