My Office options

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ChickenSwartz, Sep 18, 2006.

1. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    I am going to be buy a MBP soon. I need Office on it, there is no way around this. The way I see it I have a few options:

1. Buy Office for Mac: $149 plus it looks there will be a new version in about a year, have to deal with Rosetta
    2. I have OfficeXP
    a. BootCamp: cost of XP, plus rebooting to just use Office will not work
    b. Parallels: cost of XP+Parallels
    c. CodeWeavers: cost of codeweavers, possible problems with compatibility

Price wise: 2c<1<2a<2b

As far as usability is concerned, 2b is the best I think, but it is the most expensive.
    Does anyone have an opinion?
  2. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    if you use outdated software, aka, anything with 2.. you eventually have to upgrade (probably very soon, like next yr or two)
    but if you are gonna upgrade soon, you might as well just use office for mac, and update when the new one comes out... at least this way, you'd be using the latest

if you don't care for outdated software, you'd still have better chance with office for mac, it'd be better than officexp with anything
  3. ChickenSwartz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Jul 27, 2006
    Either way I will probably buy the newest office for mac when it is released in UB.

I am just trying to decide what to do until then?

Does anyone have experience with OfficeXP via paralles vs. Office for Mac via Rosetta? as far as speed
  4. bearbo macrumors 68000

Jul 20, 2006
    office for mac via rosetta is faster than office 2003 via parallel, no idea about office xp... but feature wise is a whole different story
  5. disconap macrumors 68000

Oct 29, 2005
    Portland, OR
    I use OpenOffice on X11. Rumor has it that they're releasing an OSX native version (there was a port called NeoOfficeJ that was quite good as well). Free and does everything Office does. :)
  6. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    cross over will have issues when involving those inserted objects, so, if you are going to use office extensively, crossover is not an option, at least for now.
    Although MS Office 04 is not UB, it works pretty fast on my MB, as long as you have >1G Memory.
  7. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    n, it doesnt cover excel's advanced plotting function,
  8. galaxyg macrumors newbie

Jun 12, 2006
  9. SJK123 macrumors member

May 4, 2006
    I was in the same situation several months back. I bought the student version of MS office (for my kids) and I also downloaded Neooffice for free. At the time Neooffice was not a native OSX application, but it is now. Before you go out and spend your money you really aught to try Neooffice. It does everything MS office does and it is fully compatible with the files. Open source is really cool. In fact there are many applications like Gimpshop (Photoshop) and Openoffice that rival the originals.

If I had to do it over again I would not buy MS office and stick with Neooffice.
  10. slackersonly macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2006
    I am also a NeoOffice fan. 95% of my friends/family are pc users. not a one has ever asked/notice that I don't use microsoft office.
    I can't speak to the higher end office uses but NeoOffice suits my basic needs very well.
    And its free. :D