my old Pismo LCD turns red!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by moondawnmonkey, Jun 30, 2005.

1. moondawnmonkey macrumors newbie

Hi,
    my old powerbook G3 Pismo LCD monitor, every time refreshes from the stop condition turns red for a minute. :eek: then slowly comes back to normal colors. :confused:
    It runs MacOsX 10.3.8 with 512MB
    Does anyone can tell me what's happening to it, what kind of sickness stroke it and how long could it approximatively last before definitely ending its functions? :(

thaks guys!

2. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Sounds like it could be a backlight failure which would need replacing. http://laptops.home.att.net/lcd-repair.htm I sure do like the Pismo and hope you can fix it.
    X

3. superfunkomatic macrumors regular

my old pismo shows a bit of pink screen when it comes out of sleep or has been off for a few days, but it disappears as the display "warms up". it's not as bright as it used to be either. my significant other has a brand new g4 17" powerbook and it's so bright compared to my oldie. i think it's just that we have old LCD displays that have reached, or nearly reached, the end of their life.

4. Nugget macrumors 65816

Nugget

My 1GHz TiBook also has a pink hue for a few minutes after being powered up that slowly fades to normal colors after being used for a bit. I'm sure it's just one of the ways that LCD displays show their age.

5. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

yep... this same thing happened to me :( i had two PowerBook G3s - - - - I had A PowerBook G3 Wallstreet 233MHz and my father dropped it a few times, the battery stopped working, the CD-ROM player stopped working, so basically I just had the screen, harddrive, keyboard, and trackpad and most of the stuff inside still intact. I was using this laptop as a desktop basically for ClarisWorks(remember the good 'ol days) and dial up interent :eek: And then one day, the screen went into tons of little lines, all diffcerent colors, half the screen was basically dead. It looked like a TV without CABLE/SAT(all messy, no picture)

so then I tried hooking that up to an extrenal monitor but the thing was dying, and so my dad one night took it out of my room, and thru it in the trash :( :eek: :mad: :confused:

Then when I was older, I was thinking, remembering how much I loved that PowerBook, and thought, damn, i'm just ganna get another one off of eBay, and so I did. I got a 250MHz WallStreet, 320RAM, CD-ROM, and got a new battery for it. It worked pretty damn good........... until the monitor started to turn blue for a few seconds on and off :( I was more experienced in the technical world, knowing how to take computers apart, knowing what i was doing. I took the monitor off and hooked it up to an old Compaq monitor. Worked great for a few weeks. Then everything started to run verrrry very very slow. One of the RAM sockets died on the mobo, and the hard drive died :eek:

I was very upset :( and then I sold it on ebay for parts.

Now I'm saving up for a PowerBook G4 12" .---- hopefully these PBs are more sturdy than older generations

Good luck with you PowerBook screen, those PBs are great, fix it, you'll be glad you did