My once great job had becoe hell

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by leekohler, Mar 30, 2006.

1. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

2. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

Wow, sounds exactly like the situation i am/was in, i always had the long hours though. Gotta love the "efficiency experts" even though at least where i am at 90% of the choices they make seem to have little to no business sense. As for me, I am moving on, found a new job.

Good Luck
    Ed

3. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Sorry lee on the problem @ your workplace, but soon i'll be working again (FT) :eek: :D

8yrs ago I did feel like you now .. :( :(

4. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

5. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

It was only 40 minutes. Maybe everyone was having dinner? ;)

The last two places I worked at were like that and I bailed on both of them. Life's too short to work someplace you hate. I have friends that stayed, but they hate it. They just b*tch and whine, but they don't leave so I really don't feel sorry for them.

Lethal

6. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Yup i started to get those feelings after 6-7 months @ my last FT job :eek: and started to slide down from there .. like closing up/keeping all the stuff that goes wrong, i kept inside o felt like i had no support from my supervisors etc .. I'm hopeful that the new job has better respect conditions then the last .. :eek: :eek:

Thanks Lee.. srry if i hi-jacked your thread but i just need to vent too .. :eek:

7. jimN macrumors 6502a

jimN

Welcome to my world (although you didn't mention having to work night shifts too! Although I signed up for those hours and get paid for them. You've got to enjoy work (especially if you're pulling long hours).

Why not put feelers out to see how readily you be picked up elsewhere. No sense jumping ship if you can't see a lifeboat (unless of course you are a really good swimmer) - this metaphor could go on!

8. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

deleted

9. Takumi macrumors regular

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

deleted

11. aquajet macrumors 68020

The universe is trying to tell you something Lee. There's something better for you out there, and you shouldn't be afraid to make the change.

12. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Do they pay you overtime for working 10-12 hours per day? If you were working 8 hours per day before, it hardly seems fair to work more hours for the same pay.

13. After G macrumors 68000

After G

Get compensated properly for all the b.s. they put you through.

At my current job, I'm still trying .... sucks :(

14. ToddW macrumors 6502a

Yep , know the feeling. I work usually 10 hrs a day and most weekends at some point. Sometimes I will get a call at home and have to come in and fix stuff. It sucks!!!!! And politics between different managers is alwasy stupid. There is always these two guys that are butting heads, and just won't let the job get done.

I have never had a situation where the place your work makes nearly impossible to get your job done. There is either red-tape/politics/or something else in the way!

15. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

I know how you feel. I've felt underappreciated and overworked at past jobs. I stuck with them for as long as I did mostly because of the people. I have the occassional late night at the job I have now, but I'm not complaining.

16. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

17. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've been trying to get Lee to quit this job for some time now, as he is more than capable of earning much more money freelancing.

No! No one is getting paid overtime. According to Lee, his company is cashing in on the "you're an artist - you're lucky to have a job at all" mentality, which is complete and total ********.

100% agreement here.

I'm in 100% agreement with this too.

Lee, you're too damn talented to play pawn when you should be a king.

e

18. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Lee, I am not in this situation anymore, but I can definitely sympathize -- I've been there before. And yeah, I decided to move on, but it was a very tough decision. I had to finally come to the realization that things were never going to go back to the way they were before.

Best of luck with whatever decision you make.

19. iGary Guest

iGary

Worked for me. Life's too short to do ****** work, Lee.

20. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

deleted

21. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

I understand the position you're in. I've been at [large Finnish phone maker] for seven years. The first few were great. Then the slide downhill began. A few months ago, 15 of the 20 people in my group were let go. I very much like the other 4 that remain, but work sucks. Nothing creative to do, Sword off Damocles over our heads, longer hours, etc.

Why do I stay? Great benefits and pay. However, I am looking to leave. It has reached the point where whoring myself out for the pay isn't worth it anymore, and the software job market is starting to pick up, slowly.

22. iPhil macrumors 68040

iPhil

Or this :eek: :eek: or this one :cool: :cool:

there's 27 versions of that theme in ITMS :eek: :eek:

23. Josh macrumors 68000

Josh

The second you feel your job is depressing, the very moment you wake up and wish you didn't have to go to work - don't.

A job that does not make you happy, and is not absolutely 100% what you want to do, is not only not worth doing, but is also better of being done by someone who wants to do it.

Far too often people find themselves with jobs that do not make them happy, and are content with the idea that 'any job is better than no job.' This is not true.

Do what you want to do, no matter what it is. A person who sweeps the street, knowing every day that there is no place he'd rather be, is much better off than a person with a top-level office with a window overlooking the world who hates every minute of it.

Go to work to be happy, not make money. This place doesn't make you happy any more, and that alone should be reason enough to stop going.

24. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Yes, but does the street sweeper get group health insurance?