My one and only Tiger bug...

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Ted Witcher, Jun 2, 2005.

1. Ted Witcher macrumors regular

For some reason my computer no longer goes to sleep when left idle, though I have it set to do so. Anyone else have this glitch?

2. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Are you using Dasher or Adium? Both of these seem to cause sleep issues. The Adium issue is separate, but the Dasher issue seems to be that the widget activity is enough to keep the computer awake, which is really annoying, 'cause Dasher is a great idea.

3. ftaok macrumors 601

ftaok

Don't know about Dasher or Adium, but do you have iPhoto open? I've found that my iBook won't sleep when iPhoto'05 is open. I'm using OS X 10.4.1.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I'm pretty sure Panther used to go to sleep even if you were playing a song through iTunes but Tiger doesn't now. Could this be it?

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^That's not true. My PB wouldn't go to sleep if iTunes was the only app turned on.

Another issue may be if you are on the internet. I find that when I sign onto the internet (I live at a Uni residence), my PB stays on because its constantly getting an internet connection. But that's the way it should be, IMO.

6. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

heh no wonder.

7. Ted Witcher thread starter macrumors regular

No Dasher or Adium. No iPhoto or iTunes. Nothing different from when this used to work under Panther. A minor bug or conflict, but still irritating. Thanks for the help.

8. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Try this:
    repair permissions
    shut down
    restart in open firmware and reset pram/nvram
    restart in single user mode and fsck or restart off the Tiger disk and repair disk

I am starting to suspect that some of the issues I had early on with Tiger might have had to do with my pram/nvram becoming slightly corrupted. Also, I surprisingly found two temp files that had incorrect file sizes in the journal with fsck. I don't know what they were related to, but I guess this sort of thing could cause strangeness.