My "Other" section in iTunes keeps growing!

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by ngenerator, Mar 5, 2010.

1. macrumors 68000

ngenerator

So, a little history:

I had my 3GS pwned at 3.1.2 and was ready to jump to a pwned 3.1.3. I was able to borrow a coworker's husband's MacBook one day at work and made a bunch of custom IPSWs via PwnageTool. Two IPSWs were created with 695MB partitions and two were 1012MB partitions. I updated to one of the 1012 firmwares and thought nothing of it.

About a week ago, my "other" section in iTunes was about 1.69GB. Now it's at 1.79GB. The only things I can think of are Kirikae (which seems to be updated every other day) or Categories (I have recently made a new folder for about 10 apps). Could either of those be causing it? Or is it something else?

Also, should I be worried? I can restore to one of the smaller partitioned IPSWs, but I'd prefer not to have to worry about it..

I tweeted MuscleNerd a week ago asking him about it and didn't get an answer (I'm not worried though, they're obviously busy).

2. macrumors 603

thelatinist

Anything you install via Cydia will increase your "other" category. I wouldn't worry about it.

3. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Thanks man, I was freaking out (kinda). I've been jailbreaking since June and have never noticed anything over 1GB in the other section. I won't worry:)

4. macrumors 603

thelatinist

Well, when you went to a 1GB system partition that caused 'Other' to start at 1 GB, even before you installed anything. Then you have to remember that nearly everything installed by Cydia -- aside from basic Unix stuff like Apt -- goes onto the user partition (mounted at /private/var), which you then have to add on top of the system partition.

5. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Ohhh, ok. I thought it just gave the phone more room to put more jailbreak stuff on it, like themes, etc. I guess some day when I have a day off I'll just restore to a smaller one, since I really don't need to waste 1GB when 500-600MB will do the same thing (or will it?).

6. macrumors G4

dhlizard

595 is plenty.

7. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

8. macrumors G4

dhlizard

Sorry, meant to type 695. But 595 should be plenty also. I have just gotten in the habit of using 695.

9. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Sweet, I was just so used to Blackra1n and Redsn0w auto-partitioning (if that's even a word) so it didn't even give me the option before. I RTFM about a dozen times before making the IPSWs so I knew what I was doing, it just wasn't specified what exactly changing the partition amount did:) All the more reason to nut up and get a damn MBP soon

10. macrumors G4

dhlizard

Nothing modifies my Apple products (iPhones) but another Apple product (MacBook). Bought it just to use with our iPhones.

11. macrumors 603

thelatinist

It's not as though you've actually used all that space, but it is not available for storing music, videos, photos, and apps. For the purposes of iTunes, the categories are composed as follows:

Audio = Audio contents of /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music
    Videos = Video contents of /private/var/mobile/Media/iTunes_Control/Music
    Photos = Contents of /private/var/mobile/Media/Photos/Thumbs
    Apps = Contents of /private/var/mobile/Applications
    Free Space = Free space in /private/var only.
    Other = Total capacity less Audio, Videos, Photos, Apps, and Free Space.

Note that 'Other' is a catch-all that will include the entire size of the system partition plus anything in /private/var not included in some other category. This includes database files, configuration files, unsynced iTunes purchases, the Camera Roll, recordings, voicemail, contacts, calendars, MMS, caches, log files, etc. as well as most things installed by Cydia.

12. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator

Eh, I'll probably just go with the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach, since it's not the end of the world.

Who knows, one of these upcoming days I may just be so bored that I'll need something to do, at least until God of War 3 comes out, lol

13. macrumors newbie

yea that should work fine
    btw what is a bathysphere?

14. thread starter macrumors 68000

ngenerator