My Own Personal Survey Results: No One Has a Clue About the Wii!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Bobdude161, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Bobdude161 macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

I work at Best Buy in the Media department which includes video games. I talk with all my customers about what they know what is coming out in the near future. Conversation goes like this:

Customer: "Yeah I like the 360 but I'm kinda waitin on how the PS3 will do."
    Me: "That's cool, have you heard of the Wii?"
    Customer: "Huh?"

I explained it's Nintendo's new console and it was originally named the Revoluton just to see if anything would click, but no. Most people are either clueless about the Wii or are very skeptical. Ranging from teens to parents. Doesn't matter. I tell them of it's innovative gaming feature like motion enabled gaming but they don't seem to care. But when I mention that the Wii will allow you to play old-skool games, their eyes light up! But it really frustrates me that no one knows that the Wii will take over the world and roxorz our soxorz.

I decided to make a sheet about the two competing consoles in the most non-bias fashion and pass it out customers. My managers are fine with it, I just want yer opinion on it on how informative it is and if my information is correct. I tried to find the light in both consoles and I think it is a Fox-newsish-fair-and-balanced sheet full-o-facts.

Attached Files:

2. jdechko macrumors 68040

A couple of thoughts... It's a good start.. fair and balanced, accurate information as far as I can tell.

I'd remove the small Apple at the bottom of the page... it doesn't pertain to anything on the page and might mislead people by creating an artificial link that isn't there. Since it's not official BB release, you might want to remove the affiliation to BB. Rename it to "Video Game Scoop" or something

I'd also remove the "Being Shipped" section on there as most customers won't give a rat's arse about how many units will be in the supply chain. They'll just want to know whether or not they're in stock.

Add in the BC section that the Virtual console games will be downloaded in a note at the bottom (* Via Download).

Take the wikipedia link off as most people won't care to go there.

Finally, you might want to add in the X360 just for comparisons sake.

3. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

"Fox" and "fair and balanced" in the same sentence?

ROTFLMAO! :D

4. Bobdude161 thread starter macrumors 65816

Bobdude161

:D

Apple logo: lol, it was a subliminal message.

Best Buy logo: This is completely understandable, I will make do without

Being Shipped: True

Backwards Compat.: Yup

Wiki link: I suppose, maybe it could make it a footnote just to show where my sources are coming from

360: Maybe I can fit in there. It's gonna be a tight squeeze.

I showed my manager a rough draft that looked somewhat like this yesterday, she was impressed and gave me approval to go ahead make copies, but i like criticism and i knew I could find it here. :D

Keep em comin.

5. Edot macrumors 6502

Agreed

Remove the Apple and Best Buy logos. Apple has nothing to do with this, and you will avoid any Best Buy corporate problems by getting rid of the logo. Also if you are calling the PS3 Pro in one place and Premium in another. Keep it consistent.

6. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    You may also want to put the storage device readers under the PS3, like SD Cards and Mem Stick. Also, you don't know if there's going to be any launch games of any kind included with the PS3 or not, you may want to indicate this as it becomes speculative instead of a negative. Wifi for the 60 gig version. HDMI is important to those who have HDTV's.... Blueray/CD/DVD/Superbit There bit of information missing.

Not a whole lot of info missing about the Wii that I can see... Perhaps Memory NOT included? That is important to people when buying a new console.

That's the only other things I can see initially that others haven't mentioned.

7. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

Well the Wii does come with 512 MB which is enough for hundreds of SNES games (yes, seriously) with room left over for Wii save files. :)

8. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Ah, well then that information should be included. I wasn't aware that it did come with 512. That's a fair amount. Thanks for the info, I really didn't know that. :)

9. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

My own personal survey of my friends all want one, even the non-gamers (sister, the twins etc). EVEN my cousin wants 2 for his twin 40" HDTV's at his pub. We were discussing what new gambling/games machines to install and it just hit me, I showed him a few Wii videos and said it'd be perfect.

I don't go to pubs myself, but at the possibility to see drunk men playing Wii sports for a tournament with a cash prize - I will be there with bells on. Quite literally, if I were a Morris Dancer.

10. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Sdashiki

my guess is that if BB corporate got a hold of one of those printouts, youd be in trouble. even without the logo, if you are handing these out at the store while you are working.

NOT that I care, but I read Bestbuysux.org regularly and it seems to me BB corporate is f-en crazy!

sweet idea though, but I doubt itll change anyones minds, the world is filled with fanboys.

11. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

My own personal survey results:

All my friends who've been informed about the system want one desperately. Even the peple that dislike (or even hate) Nintendo franchises want one. One XBox guy, for example, was hooked the moment he saw the first Red Steel trailer.

He said he doesn't care that much about the graphics.

Only one gamer out of my friends has a HDTV, and he's buying both a Wii and PS3 on launch days, though if he doesn't have the money he'll get a Wii and keep saving for a PS3.

HOWEVER; all the random people I've asked, say, in stores, had no clue what a Wii was. They all thought it was awesome when I described it, and the few people that were familiar with it thought it was going to be the greatest thing ever, but most people are totally clueless and one kid called it "too weird". Said that about the DS too.

I'm actually fine with it, as lower demand on launch day means it'll be easier for me to get a Wii without going through an XBox 360-like shortage, and once the Wii is out and people see and try it it'll take off.

12. 2nyRiggz macrumors 603

2nyRiggz

I havent heard any talks of the Wii only on the internet. The talk around town is about the PS3/x360 battle. I was talking to my TV media teacher last week and I ask him if he wanted a new console and he was like "of course, I already got the 360 now I'm waiting on the PS3" I was like "What about the wii"...."Wii:confused: "

Bless

13. jdechko macrumors 68040

As far as adding the 360, you could probably get the same information + the 360 if you made it landscape layout instead of portrait.

I also agree that you need to add in the storage capacities and storage media... again, as Oni said, don't speculate on the fact that you may be able to use flash drives and/or USB HDD. For the Wii, just say 512 MB built-in, expandable with SD memory cards. PS3 Basic-20GB HD included, Premium - 60GB HD included.

14. atomiton macrumors regular

Can the PS3 use SD Cards? Or only Memory STicks? If so, You should say Sony(c?) MemoryStick(tm?) or something.

And if your manager approved it, keep the Best Buy Logo until someone corporate says otherwise... then remove it if they ask.

It's powerful branding.

Also, for the Wii... add No, 480p DVD-quality for Resolution. and for the PS3, 1080p HD Quality.

Your average joe doesn't want to be confused with 480p 720p 1080i, 1080p... they would prefer :
    broadcast quality / DVD Quality / HD Quality.

You may want to include a disclaimer which states that actual resolution of games is determined by game-maker... or a disclaimer that says, HD TV required for this resolution.

15. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

SD, CF and MemorySticks I believe

16. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

Personally, I think the OP is off-base here.

You're pushing your desires on the customers. This isn't about them getting a Wii, its about you getting them a Wii. It's about your needs.

Let me put it another way: If a customer walks in and says they want "X" should you try to sell them "Y"? Is it your responsibility to sell the customer what they want or what you think they want/ought to have?

If people want the Wii -- or any other console -- they'll ask for it. It's Nintendo's job to market the product accordingly and build up people's desire to purchase the product, not yours.

All IMO, of course.

17. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

Not necessarily - a good sales job is to present the alternatives and let the buyer make the decision. If I walk into a PC World store and ask to buy a Sony laptop, I would hope that I would be shown some of the alternatives, and given the pros and cons of each (and walk out with an Apple:) )**

People generally don't want a product, they want what it can do for them. This is particularly the case for durable goods A good salesperson will identify what they need and advise accordingly.

To the OP. Add in the 360 and change it to landscape aspect. If you can list the titles that will be available (in small print if necessary). It will have the side benefit of making it easy for you if people are asking you about games.

**Note that this will never happen in PC World as they don't like selling Macs.

18. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

That's all well and good for a car or a laptop, but a gaming console?

If I walk in and ask about a PS3 then chances are I want a PS3.

Pushing your own preferences (Wii) isn't doing what's best for the customer...it's pushing your own personal preferences.

Just playing Devil's Advocate here.

19. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Also Wi-Fi ready, I see as a more Wi-Fi can be added, when really the Wi-Fi is a standard on the Wii..or atleast the 20Gb Model should be noted that it has not Wi-FI

20. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

Most people, yeah. There are some people that already know what they want too. Don't you hate it when you want onto a car lot asking for a 4 door sedan and they try to sell you a SUV? Well, car salespeople aren't good salespeople though, so that's a bad example. ;)

I'm not trying to argue anyway, I'm just surprised there are supposed "gamers" that don't even know about Nintendo's offerings. :eek:

21. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I hate it when I get salespeople like that, but if I know what I want I generally just say "That's great, but what I want is...... Do you have it in stock or should I wander over to..... (insert competitor here)?" If I don't know exactly what I want I appreciate being given the alternatives, rather than someone just pushing for a quick sale.

22. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Maybe it's the UK, maybe it's just a Manchester thing but they're known as -

The Xbox
    The new Playstation
    Nintendo's next machine.

I was in Gamestation today (bought Kirby's Adventure and Ninja Gaiden for £5 - I'm over the ****** moon) and me and my mate Tom were joking loudly (he's an ex-Sony and now xbox fan)

Tom: I want to buy something
    me: preorder a PS3
    Tom: are you an idiot?

So if anyone was in Gamestation in Manchester today at about 3pm then that was us :D when I went up to buy the games the worker guy said "we've had no preorders for that yet, no enquiries". Which could just mean people are going to Game... who knows.

23. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

A good salesman only offers his opinion if asked or the customer is unsure. If the customer asks for something specific, the sales person is not to give their opinion.

Sales Person Skills 101, I'm afraid.

24. 0s and 1s macrumors 6502a

0s and 1s

25. toomuchstereo macrumors regular

The Wii will end up being a gimmick machine with 2 or 3 good games a year.