My Parents need help!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by iMacZealot, Apr 24, 2005.

1. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

My parents (who are in their mid-50s) NEED a new computer. They currently have the Gateway Profile 3, and I want them to have a better computer. My dad is completely scared of viruses and paranoid if he doesn't download the newest patch whereas my mom is always asking me for help with her e-mail and Internet Explorer.

If they were to get a Mac, they would mostly use it for internet and e-mail. My mom, as I mentioned before, never can understand Internet Explorer, although when she used my Mac with Safari, she picked it up immediately. Also, my mom might manage photos with her new camera coming Mother's Day. Furthermore, my dad is looking into getting an iPod. They probably would only need a Combo Drive to share things via CDs and to watch DVDs I would make with my future iMac G5. This computer would sit on a desk, so no portable would be needed, and would be used 5 hours a day. Which computer would suit them best, the eMac or iMac? (Since their current PC is an all-in-one {surprise, surprise} the Mac Mini wouldn't help.)

Thanks for your insight!

2. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Why? They don't need really big power. I'm getting an iMac for myself, and that's okay with them, it's not like they think I'm selfish, anyways, why should they get an iMac?

Thanks!

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I think they would love the low-end iMac but it depends on how much they want to spend... they ARE pricy compared to a plain old Dell but much better value. You just have to put the well-argued and much-rehearsed case that you hear here all the time...

The eMacs future is a little uncertain at the moment.

4. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

They would like to get a pretty cheap computer, although nothing about Apple seems to ever have been cheap when compared to Dells. That is true about the eMac, although in the recent rumors about their revampments, it looks like it will be here for a while because not everybody wants to spend more money for a monitor. I read somewhere that the Mac Mini was designed for PC users to switch easily and in a less expensive fashion because PC users already have a perfectly fine monitor, keyboard, and mouse that they can hook up to the Mac Mini.

5. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Do not ask too many questions. Questions will only cloud your judgement. The iMac is all your parents will need. Go forth grasshopper. Buy the iMac.®

6. Ogre55 macrumors member

why not that mac mini. If they already have a PC then they have the monitor and keyboard and mouse. It has the combo drive and should have enough power for everytihng they need to do.

7. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Cheap can be poor value, a false economy.

An iMac could keep them going for 5-6 years, possibly longer, if well looked after.

Anyway, sounds like you've already made your mind up.

8. Gee macrumors 65816

I bought my parents an eMac and they're more than happy with it.

9. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

As I said in my original post, their PC is an All-in-one, meaning that they would have to buy another monitor, and to get a monitor you would spend about another $300, and there you can already buy an all-in-one for that price.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

10. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

The Gateway machine he said they currently have is, I believe, an "all-in-one" like the iMac. So they wouldn't be able to use the old monitor, as it's part of the old machine.

Given that, the Mac mini is nice, but they'd still have to buy everything else, and Apple monitors are expensive. I think it would make more sense to go with the iMac, not the eMac, 'cause big CRT monitors are UGLY and the eMac line may be retired soon.

11. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

That is a good point. I have come to a comclusion that a low end iMac would suit their needs. The iMac is promised to be around for a while, and it will stay fast for years. The eMac's 1.25 GHz processor will probably sound slow in two years. Just think about two years ago. An 800 MHz processor sounded fairly fast then, but now, that's considered slow today.

I have one more question....how much RAM should they get?

12. Ashapalan macrumors 6502a

i would recomend 512,

i browse the internet and make a few films, use office, probably equal too or slightly more than your parents will be doing with the system. I have 512 ram and havent had any problems, more would be better yes, but your parents won't need it doing the things you have said they will do.

Upgrade it to 512, no more no less, its the sweet spot for doing the things you have mentioned, and it keeps the price down, its already getting higher since you are going for an imac instead of emac.

Whatever you choose, best of luck and i hope your parents enjoy the machine.

13. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

I agree get an iMac, but be sure to wait for new models. When the new models come out I would get the low end model, with 256 MB of RAM. Then I would buy a 512 chip, for a total of 768 MB. That way you have room for expansion because the 256 MB didn't cost you anything. If they need more RAM then just get rid of the 256 MB and get a 512 or a gig. If you just get 2 256 MB chips, and you want to upgrade, it would cost you even more becuase you will have to get rid of the chip you bought and get a new one.

14. swy32x macrumors regular

Hmm, maybe hit up the Refurb Deals at the online Apple Store if they want something a little cheaper?

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

If price is an issue, check the Refurbished part of Apple.com (especially after new models are released). Look under Special Deals. Or if they can get an education or government discount. And be sure they buy Applecare just in case.

A mini with a cheap monitor wouldn't be bad, or an eMac, but an iMac is definitely the best option if price is not an issue.

16. macbaseball macrumors 6502a

macbaseball

Also a G4 iMac might be an option. You could get a 15 or 17 inch off of eBay for less than a thousand. These are great machines, both in looks and in speed. My Mom and sister have a 15 inch 800 MHz, and they both love it. Works perfectly for email, internet, and iTunes.

17. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

No less than 512 MB. Get more if you can afford it (1 GB would be good), because increased RAM *will* have a positive effect on the operation of the machine, especially in the future when programs will almost certainly require more memory.

18. nichos macrumors 6502

nichos

As far as power goes, they don't like like they need too much.
    Go for the eMac.
    The only reason for them to get the iMac would be the LCD. And if they wan't an LCD, go for the mini, and buy an LCD. iMac, while a lovely machine, is overkill. Save the cash, get the ram:)

19. anubis macrumors 6502a

I'm still not understanding why you're automatically ruling out the mac mini.

You can get a Mac Mini for about $500, and a third party 17-inch flat panel monitor for $200 at the most, that's about $750 total with a 512mb ram upgrade for the mini.

You'd be spending over $1200 for an imac, for power which they apparently don't really need.

automatic dismissel of the mac mini because it doesn't have a built-in screen is bad

20. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

For your parents the speed of the computer isn't very important, just make sure it has 512MB RAM and not 256MB.

Both computers will fill their needs.

I know my mother doesn't like big CRTs that takes up most of her desktop, but different people have different priorities, so make a summary of the features that she will understand and ask her what she prefers. Same for dad.

Example:
    eMac
    - heavy CRT, harder on the eyes
    - takes a lot of desktop space
    - adequate speed
    - $874
    iMac
    - not so heavy LCD, easier on the eyes
    - takes little desktop space
    - faster
    - $1374

21. gekko513 macrumors 603

gekko513

The all-in-one concept is more tidy and involves less cables, that can matter a lot to some people.

22. swy32x macrumors regular

The iMac is futureproofed, it WILL last longer than a mini.

23. iMacZealot thread starter macrumors 68020

Can "17-inch flat panel" and "$250" even be in the same sentence? You show me a $250 17" flat panel and that will be the day. Also, that saves you $50, plus you'll have a bunch of wires going around. Personally, I prefer all-in-one designs. Furthermore, in my opinion, the Mac Mini will become out of date when it comes to it's hardware. This computer will be worked to the bone (figuratively speaking) for 5-6 years. Plus, isn't there something about the Mini's graphics card not supported by Tiger?

A Mini looks good now, but will it in 6 years?

24. iZach macrumors 6502

When I first saw the title of this post, I thought you meant that you're parents needed help in the sense that you were mad since they would not buy u a mac. :D lol
    But anyway, I would get them the eMac. If that's all they want to do, tehre is no need to spend more. And truth is, if all they will do is email, safari, and maybe some small games like solitaire, and word processing, they only need 256mb ram.

-Zach