My PB is here!!! Software help plz

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by badabing, Jan 14, 2004.

1. badabing macrumors newbie

Boy is this thing sweet!!
    Anybody who is on the fence on whether to get the PB, I say go for it. Mine is the 15" 1.25ghz w/ superdrive.

Ok, so now my question is about software.
    I don't have a huge budget to work with so whenever possible I'm going with open source, for example I'm getting Open Office instead of MS Office.

Now the ones I know I need are:
    - iLife '04 ($20)
    - Shrook - RSS Aggregator ($20)

Besides those, I want an IRC client, and FTP client, a Java IDE, a newsgroup reader, and any other cool utilities (Yahoo, MSN client?) out there. Please give me any and all recommendations.

Now if only Championship manager was available for the Mac! :

2. Macette macrumors 6502

try transmit - http://www.panic.com - for FTP. I love it.

and netnewswire lite for RSS is free (a bargain) - depends how sophisticated your RSS use is. i find it absolutely fine.

enjoy... i've got a powerbook purchase on the horizon, but it's quite distant, since i just spent all my dough on my dual G5.

3. zeebee macrumors newbie

4. ColoJohnBoy macrumors 65816

ColoJohnBoy

As far as IRC, Yahoo, MSN, etc. goes, you should absolutely use Fire for OSX. It's an open source program that handles AIM (Though I would still use iChat, iif I were you), Yahoo, MSN, ICQ, Jabber, and IRC. Very nice program.

For newsgroups, I like MT NewsWatcher X. Nice simple interface, and very, very stable. Hope that helps!

5. Kirk macrumors regular

Kirk

6. mms macrumors 6502a

I agree with Transmit and NetNewsWire Lite. iChat works fine if you only use AIM, but if you want one application that can handle YIM and MSN as well, Fire would be a good choice.

Another cool AIM client that I would keep an eye on is Adium. It's still in alpha but 2.0 will be awesome when it comes out, considering how great their previous versions have been.

7. iJed macrumors 6502

Re: My PB is here!!! Software help plz

I use Ircle for IRC although I'm sure there are better clients nowadays; for FTP I just use the command line; for Java development I use Apple Xcode (although I'm mainly a C programmer) and for IM (like a lot of other posters mention) I use Fire. I do not use newsgroups much so I'm not really sure about news readers. I think Newswatcher (or something like that) was the last one I tried.

Champion Manager is available on the Mac. I'm also sick of seeing adverts for it in every issue of MacFormat that I ever see!

8. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

I use fetch 4.0.3 for ftp been using it since it was free. Now $25 but if you're a student they have free educational licenses available. Email the developer.

I use slashdock for RSS feeds. I love it. First app i install on any Mac.

9. pepeleuepe macrumors 6502

I second the opinion to try out Adium although I have no opinion on how Fire works, since I haven't used it, I can say that Adium is plenty stable to use daily. I try to keep up with the daily builds and I use it as my primary chat client with no problems.