my PB is making camera noises!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by russed, Mar 3, 2004.

1. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well my PB basically, every now and again makes the camera noise that you get when you do a screen grab. it say does it once a week, but often it will then do it to or more time in the next, say hour, then i wont hear it again for a while.

has my PB gone mad or does it just have a mind of its own?

2. RoadKill macrumors member

Me too

Not sure how long this has been happening as I often have the speakers muted. Don't know why this is happening, unless I've been rooted
    :eek:

This is my first mac (12" G4 iBook Panther) I have played with just about every setting and installed lots of stuff that I'm waiting for the next point release then I'll backup to ipod, blat the drive and start afresh and try not to play with everything that a techie/recent switcher must play with :D

3. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

oh good, at least im not the only one! it was confusing me so much i even downloaded antivirus softwear and tried that out! maybe its a bug or something in os x????

4. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

Thats only happened to me a few times but ya... I have a 17" 1ghz pb
    so...
    ya

5. haiggy macrumors 65816

Me aswell

Happens to me aswell. I have a 14-inch iBook G4. I am curious to find out what it is. It sounds like it comes from the hard drive.

6. titaniumducky macrumors 6502a

titaniumducky

I have a Titanium 15" running Panther and have never had this problem. There must be some kind of bug associated with downloading a program since it's plagueing all of you! My suggestion would be repair permissions.

7. Panopticon macrumors newbie

When you use Panther, and you go to unlock something - you'll hear a noise that sounds like that... Is it this, or is it the 'actual' snapshot sound?

8. psycho bob macrumors 6502a

psycho bob

There are a number of adverts some of which feature on macrumors for camera phones these feature camera noises. If you've had a browser open this could explain some of the noises.
    It has happened to me and it took me a while to realise it was an advert.

9. russed thread starter macrumors 68000

russed

well i have done all hte repair permissions etc so its not that. i keep away from dubious freeware programmes like the plaugue, mainly because i know what happens when you use them in windows and so i suppose its habbit. it doesnt appear to be some advert because it happens when i dont have safari open. that was my first thought.

10. ebuddy889 macrumors newbie

The only thing that I can think of that would make a noise like this is, if you hold in the command key and the shift key and hit the number 3. That will take a snap shot of the screen and make a camera sound. It produces a picture file on the desktop in the .pdf format, so you would be seeing them all over if this happens often.

I'd buy a G5 if I were rich.....

11. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

Quick question ... are you unplugged when you hear these noises? It make have something to do with the sound system going to sleep, and having to wake up when a sound is played.