My PC blew up: the amazing story

Discussion in 'Community' started by Phat_Pat, Oct 31, 2004.

1. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I was browsing the internet with my Gateway Profile 4 which just happened to be the Apple web site.
    Suddenly the computer started freaking out.

The screen started to flicker. A haze of smoke started coming out of the vents. It smelt bad. Finally the drive gave its last spin and it died. Just poof gone.

Now i got really angry. This comp had all my school work on it. Now it was gone. This is not the first time this has happened to this computer. I am now typing this on my 3 Year old eMac who is still stable and has NEVER even crashed on me. :D

So what am i really trying to say? Well first of all Gateway better hook me up cause this is the second time i've had to ship that thing back. :mad:
    Second of all i have had no problems at all with my mac. AT ALL nothing. Its been perfect sense i took it out of the box.
    Windows sucks; OSX kicks ass thats pretty much the basic idea. Thats why i'm saving for a dual G5 :D

So... anyone else want to tell their amazing story? :eek:

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

I hope that it at least gave you the satisfaction of going beebeebeebeep. If not, that would be, like, a bummer.

3. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

ohh i got my words in; almost got me grounded until my dad found out what is was about :eek:

(it was one hell of a sentence) :D

p.s. LOVE the avatar :)

4. Mav451 macrumors 68000

Mav451

Dude you bought a Gateway, what did you expect? There are many things that could have caused it.

The #1 culprit is a bad power supply. Bad power supply = bad current in.

Bad current in = fubared Mobo.

>> that leads to a damaged: HD, RAM, Video card, well you get the picture.

I would guess that Gateway is using an underpowered, generic POS to power those "Profile 4's". The same way I was shocked to see Dell Pentium 4's running on 200W power supplies when I opened one up for a friend. I probably can't convince you to think otherwise, but if you choose to blanket statement hardware problems to equate to software problems; then you can choose to believe that.

I have over 4 computers that can still run in my house that run on pre-Windows XP OSes (95 and 98SE primarily). These are mom & pop computers (Pentium 2 and lower), and its hilarious to see that they've easily outlasted your Gateway. Then again, it is a Gateway.

The more amazing story is that you blame Windows for it. That is what is truly amazing.

5. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

Dagnabbit! Apple took the video down. It just sounded so much like Ellen's story. Oo, a mirror! Yay, I'd hate to see that bit of history disappear =)

6. Hoef macrumors 6502a

Hoef

Sorry to hear that ... Hopefully you can recover your work. Which part of the apple site where you on? Maybe the gateway developed artificial intelligence and it figured that life was useless at the sight of the latest G5 rigs ...

7. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

I'm not blaming windows for it i'm blaming the windows side. My mac is working perfect yet my pc just blew up. And besides i'm still pissed so step off

8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

But Windows is not the other side so far as the hardware goes (which is what has failed you), the cheap x86 hardware that Gateway throw together is the problem, and that has nothing to do with Windows. I think that is the point Mav451 is making.

9. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

yup. its gateway that sucks for either using crappy components or for jinxing your computer! It sucks when stuff blows up, you lost your work too, that sucks big time. Maybe you could try linking the hard drive up to another computer and trying to see if anything survived? Hope you recover something.

10. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

If on my PC it says that the +12 in (used by AGP graphics card) should I worry if it runs "hot"? (It hits 13 volts sometimes!)

I have other PSUs but not as powerful...

Dude, that sucks. Gateways are horrible. My friend has to go through the horrors of getting it repaired-- while under 3 year warranty. Good luck... see if the hard drives reads in another computer... and if something is melty then it is trash.

11. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

A couple of years ago I had an iMac G3 running next to a Pentium-3. One day I accidently pushed my knee up and it hit the bottom of my desk. The sudden impact caused my PC to reboot but my Mac was fine.

12. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've had Dells do the same thing. You get what you pay for. I also recommend looking into getting your drive hooked up in another computer to salvage whatever files on it. If it's just the power supply and/or motherboard that's toast, you may be able to save some of your stuff. Gateway might just send you a new model or a reformatted drive, either way you'll lose your stuff.

Good luck. Sometimes Apple's have issues too, but they aren't nearly as bad as Gateways IMO.

13. janey macrumors 603

janey

goddammit. i run linux on my PCs. Are you calling me a member of the Windows side? lol

Anyway, you get what you pay for. I think its much more rewarding to go out to like Fry's or something, get some parts, build your own PC. Gateway is crap, Dell is crap, Alienware is crap, Sony is crap, eMachines is crap, et cetera. Building your own is cheaper and better.

I love my current PC. Except for the **** graphics, the machine is decent enough, and the uptime totally rocks. Except power outages, et cetera, happen...so...

Oh, mea culpa, Mac fanatics tend to be a little harsh towards PC users..I should have known. :rolleyes:

Come on, I've had Macs that totally **** themselves, and PCs that have done the same too. You cannot say that one is inherently better than the other based on a f***ed up OS that nowhere near all PC users use or like.

Crashes are crashes too, and MS isnt doing too shabby of a job when you think about what they have to worry about compared to Apple. MS doesn't make any hardware that their OS would run on. Apple does everything in house. Apple has a much easier job compared with MS, that has to deal with so much 3rd party hardware its just crazy. Admit it.

14. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

A looooong time ago, when Gateway 2000 was strictly a screwdriver shop (the little badge that went on the generic case was literally the only GW2K-designed component), those people used to pick some great hardware to assemble and offered really decent prices. Why do these companies insist on getting into wacky ODM arrangements just to be a little different, and ruin their reputations in the process?

15. rueyeet macrumors 65816

rueyeet

I'd hesitate to have Gateway replace the computer; if you've had to ship it back twice, and all you got for your trouble was a complete meltdown, I don't know that another Gateway would be the way to go, here. Just snag the hard drive from the fried one, and maybe attempt to get a refund or something.....

Snap, crackle, pop.... :eek:

16. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Just noticed... how many of these things blow up on a daily/weekly/monthly/yearly basis at your house and other places? :eek:

17. Phat_Pat thread starter macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

it happened right when i first got it. like 3 weeks after. shipped it back and they messed with it and sent it back calling it a "video problem". no list of what they changed nothing. well its been almost two years and it started up again.....

i called Gateway; still under warranty, so i sent it back. I couldn't get anything out of it... so oh well my english teacher is cool she understand (her iMac had a similar story behind it, overheated got fried) so she knows how it feels.

ohh yeah story on how i ended up with this p.o.s.

i was using a really cheap PC (cheaper than this you may ask? Lets talk Pentium 2) for all my school work. It started having little weird panic attacks on me so it was trashed. My dad got a deal with his work and got a discount on this machine. It did the trick (aim, word, internet) so i was happy.

I started getting into video so i saved up and was able to buy an eMac(thats how i got my mac:))

i think i'm going to take some advice from the earlier posters and build my own pc. i'll give my dad this Profile, build that, then buy a G5 ;)