My performance at a student recital

Discussion in 'Community' started by Daveman Deluxe, Nov 26, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Hey all. I sang at a student recital at the university yesterday (I'm a music major) and I figured I would post the recording here. Take it for what it's worth, hope you all like it!

1. Das Wandern, Schubert
    2. In der Fremde, Schumann

http://www.inetrealtors.com/wright.mp3

2. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

what kind of school were you performing at? a grade school or higher learning school?

3. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

manitoubalck

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

5. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

heh nice stuff ;) not my cup of tea per se but it sounded decent enough to listen to until atleast halfway ;)

6. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I'm a music major with voice as my primary instrument at Oregon State University.

It's pretty standard to sing art songs in German, Italian, French, and English. My voice teacher thought it would be good for me to sing these two songs for the recital.

Heh. The first song was by far the better one. You'd think that after four years of choir and a year of voice lessons, I could sing on pitch at least when my part is doubled in the piano. Oh well, as one of my friends said to me, "Pitch happens. Err... well, I guess unpitch happens too."

7. Stike macrumors 65816

Stike

Yay, I appreciate that! You have quite a voice, man! There is some volume in it. Wasn´t there are dissonance in the second song? :D
    The english accent was worth a chuckle, though :p :)

8. jazzmfk macrumors member

Jersey. Route 78, exit 24. Gotta problem with th
    hi super genius dave,

my husband (jazzmfk) just played me your recording. congrats on your gumption to put lieder online for the great unwashed. here is some feedback for you:

okay, to start off, your german diction is very clear and crisp. also, kudos on the memorization of the schubert... strophic songs are tough!

i think in an effort force out all of those consonants, your legato line is suffering. i have some practice suggestions for this, but i'm sure your voice teacher does as well. also, your accompanist was playing with heavy hands, which probably did not help your style. this song should be sung in a light and beautiful way. your pitch problems in this were primarily on the upward skips of a minor 7th near the ends of the verses-- try to aproach these upper pitches "from above" as opposed to from below and falling short. this is just a little mental image that might work for you.

as far as the schuman goes, your intonation problems centered around descending chromaticism. as singers, we don't have anything external to help us with chromatic scales, such as pressing keys on the piano or the distance between our fingers on the violin. sometimes it can help when you practice chromatic scales, if you finger the pattern of a scale in your hands, to keep some kind of home base for the pitch. again, just another little tip that has worked for me. also, listen to each note in it's harmonic context, as opposed to solely melodic. if you can hear where the note belongs in the chord, you may be able to find the pitch better.

when we sing, we hear our voices inside our own heads. most of the time, you hear yourself singing the correct pitch, but in reality, it is not in tune on the outside, which is why recording yourself is a fantastic learning tool. often, faulty technique, not faulty ears, is the reason for bad intonation. the more you hone your vocal technique, the better your pitch will get. keep at it! i'd like to hear more in the future... may i suggest the songs of benjamin britten? thanks :)

lisa
    moondagny@mac.com

9. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Very nice, thank you for sharing. A nice strong voice. What kind of grade are you getting from your professor?

10. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

wdlove:

I don't know, but I suspect I'll get an A. Evidently I'm one of the best students he's ever had, and he's sixty-four years old.