My photography rant...

Discussion in 'Community' started by eyelikeart, Dec 9, 2003.

1. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Ok, so most of u know I'm into photography. I used to do it as a hobby, but it's not turned into a pretty nice moneymaker for me.

I just bought a Nikon D100 in October, and the camera has been a blessing. I've learned lots, improved my shooting ability, and overall had a great time with it...until now.

The past few months, I've worked terribly hard to get my name around town. I've managed to do so, and things have picked up a lot for me. Recently, I've been added to the roster of a local magazine as one of their staff photographers. I've already done one assignment for them, and have 4 coming up in the next few weeks. Needless to say, my January is made.

Well, my camera has decided to go against me. I didn't realize it last week while on a shoot, but the flash on the camera has become inoperable. I don't know what's wrong with it, and no one can give me a definitive answer. Apparently, no one has ever seen a flash go out like this without some kind of clue. The only solution has been to send it back to Nikon to be serviced...which is fine, except for the fact that I cannot be without a camera now. No one can help me out in terms of a loaner camera since I'm not a member of the Nikon Professional Association, and I'm stuck. :(

I'm not downing Nikon or anything, I'm just frustrated at the situation. If I'm without my camera for any period of time, I'm screwed. :(

2. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

Is there any way you can buy another one from a store like Sears where there's a pretty lax 90 money back guarantee, use it while your camera is in the shop, and return it afterwards? I know, it's not very nice, but you've gotta do what you've gotta do, right?

Best of luck with this situation.

3. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

You need a detachable flash, don't you?

I've almost always used one when I was doing more serious work. I know they're expensive since the digital craze, but still, the extra distance to the shot can be worth it.

Use that until you can send the camera to be repaired.

4. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

You should buy an external flash anyway. They have more power, more options, and make it easier to avoid red-eye.

5. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

I would even ask around and see if anyone can loan you a seperate flash. The hot shoe is the same all the way around IIRC. Or go buy one yourself. They are well worth it, although sometimes a pain in the arse to carry around. I remember from my days with an old Pentax 35mm of my dad's that did not have a flash of any kind to speak of.

Maybe Santa will bring you a flash for Christmas if you ask. Have you been good this year?:p

You'll have to take this as a lesson though, and invest in a backup camera if you are going to be making a living shooting pictures. And you do take good shots, so I'd think at some point it's a must for you.

I really should try and talk my dad into posting some of his digitally enhanced photography online somewhere. He's had decent luck selling his work finally, after being interested in photography his whole life. He's done Open Studios for 2 years running now, and has students of photography stopping by to ask about his technique as well as people wanting to buy. I'm lucky enough to have one of his shots of Yosemite framed and hanging over my fireplace.:)

6. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I am sorry to hear about the problem with your Nikon camera eyelikeart. Is there a way that you could use a separate flash unit with the camera?

7. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It's mostly bad timing. I did buy a separate flash system for it, but it's just the point of the one on the camera not working. I don't need a big flash for everything, and I lost an entire shoot from last week because of it.

Also, this camera was my move into professional work. I've finally landed the steady work I've been after, and I'm still paying out the bill on this one. I was planning on a backup sometime next summer. I didn't imagine a problem like this so early on. :(

8. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Eye....

I'm hoping you just got a bad flash. Hopefully there's something NIkon can do, which i'm sure.

My d100 has had no problems since i got it back in April. Hope yours is equally problem-free from here on out.

That said... check your paypal account. In the spirit of the season, I thought i'd do a bit to help you get a backup cam or a flash or whatever. Merry xmas.

You're a talented guy and deserve success
    Don't let this get you down.

Cheers.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It'll work out. I wish you the best with it and your career.

It seems odd to me to depend on the flash included on the camera, but then, I've mostly used cameras which didn't have something built-in.

Now, I have an external flash and a pistol grip lying useless since my OM-1N died a couple of years back.

10. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

Does the Camera work without the built in flash?

If so you can pick up a Vivitar for like 70 USD and it will have all your autofucus metering and probably even work with 3D matrix stuff... You won't have the DX option build in, but if you know what your doing you'll be fine without it...

i never use my build in flash on my F50 ... ... you'll notice that the higher nikons like the old F90x or the current F100 and F5 have no build in flash, the DX 1H and 2H also have no build in flash

I agree with the fact that it should break, but your carear won't be over ... Best of luck my friend....

Ps -- and if nothing else get drunk throw it around and then post pictures in the "Have you ever been drunk Thread"

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

damn, man, this is an inopportune shame... hopefully an external flash will work for you till you can get the thing fixed. I hope it all turns well for ya.

where do you have to send it to get repaired?

12. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

It works fine from what I can tell, it's just I have to use another flash if needed. I can even handle not having the small flash, it's just I'm unsure if there's anything else wrong with the camera body now. I honestly think I just got a faulty flash, which is apparenty rare.

I really need to get a backup camera, as noted earlier here. It's just terrible timing. :rolleyes:

13. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Eye,
    If you need the Dimage, I can send it down to you. I don't know if it will handle the quality of the pics that you need though. Let me know ok.

14. Backtothemac macrumors 601

Backtothemac

Where did you buy it, and how long have you had it?

15. tazo macrumors 68040

tazo

awww man...I hope ur camera feels better soon. seriously tho i cannot imagine what it must feel like to have your only source of income not be operable...

16. Moxiemike macrumors 68020

Moxiemike

Hey. and if you need any product shooting done, or any studio work.... buzz me. I'll do it for you pro bono.

17. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

That's completely not necessary B2TM. I do appreciate your offer though. ;)

And Moxie...u rock man. :D

18. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

Eye, you are a man with many good friends. quite a blessing ;)

19. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

a far cry from the lovers' quarrel of not too long ago! hah

hope things stay afloat during the repair/replacement

word up

20. revenuee macrumors 68020

revenuee

well if the images come out the same as they did in the beginning then cause you have nothing to worry about, i mean the point is the pictures --- just mount a flash and your set to go ....

21. Paenis macrumors newbie

I hate flashes, they destroy depth and atmosphere (unless used really well)... just my opinion, I avoid them unless they're completely necessary..

22. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

That sucks, dude. I used to work at a camera store and I know how long repairs can take, so I feel your pain. Hope you get it back soon!

23. tpjunkie macrumors 65816

tpjunkie

Something like the flash just going out with no warning indicates either a faulty connection or a broken flash tube...Nikon will definitely have to foot the repair cost on that i think...hope you can get by with a seperate flash eye, and that everything works out

24. eyelikeart thread starter Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm figuring it's just a faulty flash bulb, or at least hoping as much. I'm going to have to wait a while to send it off to Nikon though, I've simply got too many things coming up where I need a camera. I really need to focus on a backup plan.

25. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I certainly hope that your backup plan will be successful eyelikeart. Is there a way that you could rent one while yours is in the shop so to speak?