My Plan...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by EJBasile, Feb 1, 2005.

1. EJBasile macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004
    I think I'm ready to do it...

PowerBok G4 1.5GHz
    12" LCD
    512mb Ram (Or for the mere $68 should i get 768?)
    $1500-$1570 depending on RAM

Is that good? Is good to future-proof my self with 768mb ram?

2. heaven macrumors 6502a

Jun 20, 2004
    Go get it! Its a nice setup and it'll last a long time, dont worry. Max out the RAM if you can.

Enjoy your Mac!
  3. killuminati macrumors 68020

Dec 6, 2004
    If I were you I'd go for the extra ram if you can. You will probably notice the difference.
  4. Applespider macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Don't pay for an extra 256 of RAM. Get the single 512 stick and then you can update it later with another 512 or a 1GB stick. Otherwise you're going to end up getting rid of a 256MB stick in 6-12 months time.
  5. ravenvii macrumors 604

Mar 17, 2004
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    Don't buy your RAM from Apple, get it elsewhere and save money.

I don't know if both dimms are user-accessible on the PB, if only one is, I suggest you max out the inaccessible DIMM slot. If both are accessible, get the lowest RAM you can get, take it out and sell it and get RAM elsewhere.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    How do you get a single stick 512 configuration? When I config it on the Apple website, I don't see that option -- only 256+256, 256+512 and 256+1024.
  7. EJBasile thread starter macrumors 65816

Apr 20, 2004

The base 12" has 256mb built in and 256mb in the fillable slot on the base model, thus its cheaper to upgrade with apple if I'm gonning to do 256+512=768.
  8. Romulan macrumors member

Aug 10, 2004
    I'd definately upgrade the RAM with apple. For once, the prices are reasonable. And I'd be willing to pay the extra $20 or so to save myself the aggravation of waiting for, and installing RAM myself.

Oh, and another thing, why not jump up to the 100 GB HD? You'll always appreciate the extra space, and if you have as much music as I do, It will come in handy. :)
  9. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Buy from the education store, and for the same price you can get a 15" PowerBook (with no RAM). Upgrade the video card to a 128MB Radeon. Then upgrade the RAM later. THat is what I would do.
  10. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Nov 5, 2002
    don't advise people who aren't students to take advantage of an honest program, thats about as dishonest as pirating tiger and getting caught.
  11. MacAztec macrumors 68040

Oct 28, 2001
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Yeah, just about, except I don't think apple is suing those that buy "illegally" from the edu store.
  12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Aug 9, 2002
    Just because you won't get a lawsuit for it doesn't make it dishonest.
  13. efoto macrumors 68030

Nov 16, 2004
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    Orig Poster said 12", so the 15 recommendation is a little aluf. As far as purchasing from the EDU store....leave that to the students (myself included). There is a reason that students get cheaper prices, we little money yet we still want Apple products. If everyone abuses that and Apple starts to lose money they will change the setup, and students will miss out.
  14. appletalk macrumors member

Jan 21, 2005
    Pacific Coast
    Why on earth would you be posting this? Apple has a great program, why try to ruin it?
    With all the new mac users joining the ranks, apple has got to be watching how their programs are working.

Even if you want to steal or buy illegally, no matter what the rules, laws, or people telling you how wrong it is mean to you... do you think blabbing around on a public forum is going to help you down the road when you need to get a new computer and your looking for that "great deal" only to find out you can't because apple changed their policy? Do you realize you are burning yourself?

That was a long breath. THINK MAN!! Please don't make me start quoting from Napoleon Dynamite.