My poor 20" iMac died :( Anyone Else had Problems? Any Advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Huwrobs@mac.com, Jul 25, 2006.

1. Huwrobs@mac.com macrumors newbie

Well, as some you may have seen from my thread about my iMac being delayed, I ordered a 20" iMac on the 1st of July, and it FINALLY arrived on the 20th. I was absolutley amazed by how good the computer looked, so plugged it all up and turned it on...but the screen was flickering like crazy, so much so that it gave me a headache!

So I phoned applecare up, explained the situation, and they suggested re-installing the OS, which I did, and this seemed to solve the flickering problem. Everything seemed to be great, but then the problems started....

Blue and green vertical lines started appearing all over my screen, and despite everything I did, they wouldnt go away, so I phoned applecare again (by this point, I'd actually phoned them 3 times about the lines/flickering), and they advised me to reset PMU etc, but still the lines remained, so after being on the phone to apple for absolutley ages, they finally agreed that the computer was faulty, and said it was some problem with the logic board(?), and that they'd send me a brand new one, because I was within 14 days of purchase.

So a new computer has now been ordered by apple for me, BUT the thing is, it has been delayed once again, and is now not going to be dispatched until the 8th of August before its dispatched by apple!!!

This has got me majorly angry, but has also got me thinking, the WWDC starts on the 7th of August, so will new products/ processor revisions be announced on the 7th, which would be perfect timing for my replacement imac!

Also, since it has taken over a month for a working computer to be delivered to me, when I was given a delivery time if 5 days on the 1st of August, do you think theres any chance apple would give me any compensation for inconvenience? Is it worth a try?

If you guys could let me know what you think I'd be really greatful :)

Also, has anyone else here had any problems with the new intel iMacs? my sytem config was/is:

20" iMac,
    500GB HDD
    2GB RAM
    256MB VRAM

Cheers Guys :)

2. joebells macrumors 6502

Instead of trying to get compensation I would ask them to just give me my money back and wait until the 8th as there's a good chance we could be seeing a new machine as fast as they have been updating the imac lately. They are estimating the 8th but it could ship earlier than that or at least I wouldnt' risk it I would just ask for the money back and wait it out worst that could happen is no updated imacs and you go buy a new one.