My poor iPod Nano, rest it peace...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Jesus, Sep 17, 2005.

1. Jesus macrumors 6502

I got a iPod Nano last saturday from the Apple Store Regent Street, and today, when I took it with me when I went out for dinner with some friends, in order to show it off, I realized the screen had bent I/100000000000th of a degree and had ruptered the LCD. now i can only use the top right hand corner of the screen. Any advice over how to deal with applecare, seeing as I bought it with cash, and seem to have lost the reciept, i still have the waranty and everything, and all the packaging.

A little Help

Jesus

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If you bought it from that store, they should have a record of the purchase from the barcode scans they take when they sell you an expensive item. (IIRC, they scanned my nano TWICE... once for the serial number, once for the part number.)

Whether or not they will take this as a natural failure of the device is another question, of course... but it shouldn't be hard for them to establish when you purchased it (and naturally, everyone's nano is still within the warranty period right now).

3. Jesus thread starter macrumors 6502

So should i go back to the regent street store with my nano first, or should i call applecare??

Jesus

4. wide macrumors 6502a

They shouldn't care if you have the receipt or not; it's a new product so it clearly has a warranty. That sucks about your nano, I hope it isn't a defect that affects a lot of them like the static noise with the first iPod mini.

5. antrabbit macrumors member

antrabbit

Take it back, nothing should break that easily.

6. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I think if you bent it yourself then that falls under the no apple care coverage....I mean you broke it yourself. So you think it should withstand bending? Perhaps it should, but that doesn't mean you should bend it.

7. JDOG_ macrumors 6502a

JDOG_

Yeah your best bet is to bring it back with all the packaging and say that it came like that and you'd like one that works. It can't hurt and at this point these things are new enough that nobody knows what can go wrong with them yet...except the scratching issues.

You also probably not bend your expensive toys if possible. ;)

8. katie ta achoo macrumors G3

But if he broke it himself, it isn't good to cheat applecare.

/consumer fraud is so fun
    //when I'm CFO, I'll hunt you DOWN if you file false AppleCare claims
    ///I'll be the first ever CFO with a water pistol to shoot at people! :)
    ////I'll fill it with mustard.
    /////SLASHIE!

9. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

True, but in this case there is a fine line between him breaking it, and having a product that probably had a problem when it left the factory (or maybe it got slightly damaged during shipping, and him bending it just pushed it over the edge). It's not like he dropped it, or hit it with a hammer...bending it slightly shouldn't do major damage. I'd say in this case it would be wise for Apple to cover it, they don't want any bad stories about thier new product on the evening news.

As for saying you just got it that way, depending on how long ago you purchased it it may not work...but it never hurts, if they tell you no, then just try over the phone, or go back to the store when there's a different shift.

10. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

Tell apple it came that way, or else they wont help you. Normally I'd say dont cheat the system, but in some thread, the nano got run over by a Truck and it still worked... So I'm starting to believe something was wrong in the first place...

11. Jesus thread starter macrumors 6502

i'd like to say that when the ipod nano broke, i was walking along with it in the change pocket of my jeans, and only the screen is broken. when Arstechica ran their nano over with a car, the screen broke but the music kept playing.

Jesus

12. shadowmoses macrumors 68000

shadowmoses

Just take it into apple store regents street and im sure they will give you a replacement with no questions asked.....

SHadOW

13. Superdrive macrumors 6502a

Superdrive

My 4th gen 20GB did the same thing on the second day I had it. The Mall of America Apple Store laughed me out the door when I tried to tell them the product was defective. It was brand new, in a leather case, pristine condition. I got nothing. Thank goodness for the normal minded people at Southdale. They knew there was nothing up with it, and they took care of business. Apple stores are hit and miss, example above. I wish you luck and feel your pain.

14. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

I bet you could pull it off with the Nano being so new. They have no idea of faults or anything this early in the game. Just send it in with video problems being the problem and see what happens. Obviously you have nothing to lose.

jon

15. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Yep take it in, good luck. They don't have to offer you anything since you have no receipt (what if he stole it, or etc etc)-- but they probably will anyway, it doesn't pay to lose customers. Be, as many have said, "polite but firm"

16. geese macrumors 6502a

geese

I'm sure you'll get away with taking it back under the 14 day returns policy.

I did something naughty like this at Argos. I bought a mini-disc player from e-bay. It was a bit crappy so I 'bought' a similar one from Argos and replaced it with the crappy one. Then took it back and no-one noticed.

Very naughty. I expect I'm on their hit-list.

17. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

Pictures pictures pictures pictures.

AppleMatt :)