My poor PB power adapter :(

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazydreaming, Mar 27, 2007.

1. crazydreaming macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

Look what I woke up to this morning.
    I was using my powerbook in bed this morning, then fell back asleep.
    Woke up an hour or so later, with my powerbook laying on the floor on its side.
    This is what happened: :( I'm gonna cry! It's really hard to plug it in and get it out now.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

3. mattscott306 macrumors 68040

mattscott306

I think I went through about three adapters, the metal they use to surround the actaull male input is cheap, and bends easily. Just be happy the danged thing works, even if it's not as pretty as it use to be.

4. crazydreaming thread starter macrumors 6502a

crazydreaming

now i finally see the need for the magsafe haha

5. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

No, you would understand the need for magsafe when you have the power cable wrapped around the chair you are sitting in and then you move, causing the Dell laptop your work lent you fall off of a desk while all your co-workers and supervisor are around watching. When that happens, then you will understand the need for magsafe. I know I did.

6. maxp1 macrumors regular

You can just bend it back to a rounder shape using needle nose pliers. I've got a couple ancient adapters around that still work despite being repaired several times.

7. noaccess macrumors 6502

Oh my god, yesterday, the exact same thing happened to my iBook adapter connector...
    My cat was just running around (I swear, that creature has ADHD or somtething) and it ran so fast around me, sitting in my bed working on my iBook, that it somehow caught the cable, yanked the cable out, and ran out.

Looking at the connector, the round metal part was severley bent, so was the gold jack in the middle. The round part I managed to straighten out, but when I tried to do the same thing with the golden jack, it snapped off :(. All in all, it was in a much worse state than the one pictured in the original post.

Now I live in [location on the left part of the screen], where the service at the first opened Apple reseller is horrible, I even made a previous thread and people were appaled.

Well, I discovered a new Apple Authorized reseller & Tech opened in town, went to them, and was pretty satisfied. I just got a call from them and they told me they'll have to use third party components for the repair. And there's a possibility they won't be able to repair it, so maybe I'll have to buy a new adapter.

Gawd... what's next? Ritalin for kitties?

8. EvryDayImShufln macrumors 65816

EvryDayImShufln

I say you're lucky. Alot worse could've happened, including destroying your screen, putting huge dents in places where it would really show, damaging your hard drive, etc etc.

Although it still sucks, it could've been worse.

9. Nuc macrumors 6502a

Nuc

I wish they did make it! My cat gets the cat crazies to. I'm afraid one of these days he's going to do some acrobats on my screen while he's jumping on everything. He knows not to do it but he's to damn stubborn...

Nuc

10. danielem macrumors newbie

danielem

What happened next?

11. Xeem macrumors 6502a

Xeem

My iBook adapter is in a similar way, but not as bad as yours. Sorry dude. :(

12. heySparky macrumors regular

heySparky

That's all that bad. I'm on my THIRD power adaptor for my iBook. The first one lasted just fine as long as it was just me using the iBook, but once the wife and kids started using it, it didn't last long. The replacement from Macally worked good for quite a while, but now it needs a new tip. We're now using a new adaptor. At least with the Macally adaptor, I only have to replace the cord from the power brick to the iBook, $17 directly from them.

13. Cougarcat macrumors 604

Apple Powerbook adapters are simply terrible. My dad and I are both on our second, and mine's currently getting repaired. The plastic next to the white connector is really cheap and can easily get cut, and the metal can easily get bent.

Does anybody know of a third-party adaptor that has a status light on the connector? MacAlly's is on the power brick.