My PowerBook automatically woke up

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Dagless, Sep 28, 2005.

1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Why or even how could i do this? There wasn't a single connection, barring wifi which I thought was shut off when in sleep mode?

Right. so i go close the lid and go to bed. i know it closed it because the sleep LED on the powerbook was keeping me awake. so at about 6am i hear the fans kick in thinking "... hang on!" but also thinking it was part of my dream i just left it.
    now I've woken up (7.40am) the PowerBook indeed was awake. i opened the lid and the thing was boiling! the hinge was untouchable (as it seems to be when i do intensive work) and the screen would not turn back on! i mean nothing was doing as it should. so i tried shutting the lid to force it back to sleep. nope. i tried uplugging it from the mains thinking the PB would say "oh im back in battery mode! lets stop doing this strange unseen power task!"... nope. I'm lost here. I just did a hard reset and here I am. the fans have cooled down whilst I was typing this

is there any way to check what my computer was doing last night? could it even be a virus? i mean there wasn't a single connection apart from the power cable. nothing to wake it up?

2. neocell macrumors 65816

neocell

Check to see if you have startup initiated in the scheduler (System Preferences > Energy Saver > Schedule...). Other than that no idea

3. jacg macrumors 6502a

jacg

Me too

I'd quite like to know why this happens sometimes. Mine occasionally wakes up then goes back to sleep again. Goodness knows how often this happens while I'm not sleeping in the same room...

I went to the Console application (in Utilities) and checked some of the logs there for clues, but I'm not sure I learned anything.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Among the things that can wake a sleeping Mac:

• Bluetooth mouse
    • Bluetooth keyboard
    • Bluetooth phone
    • Bluetooth PDA
    • Wired keyboard
    • Wired Mouse
    • Ethernet cable
    • Small child with access to power button
    • System Preferences that schedule an awakening (doesn't that sound creepy)
    • External display (only some makes)

5. Ja Di ksw macrumors 65816

Ja Di ksw

My pb constantly wakes up for no reason as well when it's shut. Bluetooth isn't on, and nothing is plugged in (it's sitting in it's case, in my backpack, sitting untouched on my floor). I think they are just too sensitive and wake up for no real reason, shift in the weight, slight jostle, the pb is bored, anything.

6. yenko macrumors 6502a

This is a guess.......what could have happened here is your maintainance scripts began to run. They do run, I believe, between midnight and 4 AM. There must have been some kind of problem when one of the scripts ran and hung causing your machine to go "nuts". :eek:

Just my humble opinion. :cool:

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So does that mean Macs wake up to run maintenance scripts? Is that the same for iBooks even if they have their lids closed? :confused:

8. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

No, the computer must be on to run the scripts. They do not run if the computer is asleep.

My iMac G5 will occasionally announce the time (I have it set to speak the time on the half hour) when it is asleep. Weird.

9. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

this is all strange. its the first time this has happened. im a very light sleeper so the fans would easily wake me up when they're on full speed.
    i'll just put it down to experience and will probably shut off my system rather than letting it sleep again in the future. even though it doens't shut down without holding down the power button :(

my mac is a mess. even though i've treated it well

10. yenko macrumors 6502a

Those forced shutdowns you had to do probably did some directory damage. You may need to repair that. :cool:

11. motulist macrumors 68040

motulist

In the energy saver control panel check there's no scheduled wake up and also make sure that under options that "wake for ethernet" and "wake for modem" are unchecked.

12. ChrisBrightwell macrumors 68020

ChrisBrightwell

I've had a similar problem with my Powerbook and its dreaded insomnia.

I've just gotten to where I unplug it after I shut it when I go to bed. That basically disables clamshell mode and eats very little battery power.

13. wide macrumors 6502a

this happened with my ibook. the screen wouldn't turn on. the ibook wasn't really hot though, the screen just wouldn't turn on. the caps lock and num lock keys lit up when i pressed them and turned off when i pressed again...and i know the computer was working b/c i moved some items on my desktop in the process of clicking and moving the touchpad and mouse randomly.

i think my ms bluetooth mouse (not said by manufacturers to be supported) had something to do with this problem.