My Powerbook (finally) died!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by YeahIKnow, Nov 21, 2008.

1. macrumors member

Feb 27, 2008
    Just in time for Christmas my old G4 667 has given up the ghost. High five! :D

I could never ditch it as it was working perfectly and still outshines more modern laptops. That's over 7 years of serious abuse and it just kept on ticking. Amazing, huh? And in an amazing stroke of Karma I had backed up everything before doing a charity benefit. Time for a shiny new macbook methinks, and a few weeks of leafing through my backup drives - my firewire backup drives... :rolleyes:

Something tells me I'll be single a little while longer... :D
  2. macrumors 65816

Oct 17, 2008
    Sorry to hear that. I have a new MBP and love it.
  3. macrumors 6502a

Jul 28, 2008
    Plymouth, MI
    It's awesome to get that kind of longevity out of a notebook computer, especially one that was abused.

So although it's a bummer it died, it's always a nice feeling to upgrade - I'm sure the performance difference will be excellent between your old PB and a new MB.
  4. macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2006
    Irvine, CA
    I had the same one, I remember when the hinge on the LCD broke and the base and LCD were completely detached. It died soon after, I think.

Monster-built laptop, hehe
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2008
    Cambridge, UK
    Always sad to hear when another Powerbook dies. But surviving 7 years of abuse is impressive. Sounds like it had a good life. :)
  6. macrumors 65816

Jul 17, 2008
    Pittsburgh, PA
    My PowerBook's five and is still going. The screen got the white spots issue and the BlueTooth module died, but aside from that, it's still working.

Congratulations on your future MacBook though!
  7. macrumors member

Jun 3, 2008
    My mom's PBG4 just died as well at the age of 6 I believe. Well, I gave her my Macbok, and saw it as an opportunity to by myself a MBP :]
  8. macrumors member

Nov 21, 2007
  9. macrumors 68040

Feb 17, 2008
  10. macrumors 68030

Aug 5, 2004
    a profane existence
    During the next Day of the Dead or Día de los Muertos, you should set up a little altar for the PB :p
  11. Contributor

Jul 29, 2008
    The Far Horizon
    Congrats on the long and productive life of your Powerbook, - sounds like you had a great time with it - and here's hoping that whatever replaces it (MB, MBP?) serves you just as well. Let us know what you decide to replace it with.

Cheers and good luck
  12. macrumors member

May 31, 2002
  13. macrumors 68040

Nov 8, 2007
    You never know....
  14. macrumors newbie

Nov 22, 2008
    Ditto the congrats! I am actually surfing the posts on the same: PowerBook G4 667. Other than the battery no longer holding a charge and the trackpad occasionally stops working - mine is still going strong. Was just at the Mac store earlier this evening looking at the new MBP, and thinking that an upgrade would be a great Christmas present. Will be nice no longer having to seek out a plug all the time... but it will be hard to put the old one down. Since Tiger, it has worked better than it ever did before.
  15. macrumors 65816

Sep 21, 2008

That is amazing. :D Awesome as a matter of fact. :apple:

Get the 17" MacBook Pro with FireWire 400/800 and matte screen. And enjoy :D
  16. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 27, 2008
    I've never used another Mac so no matter which new Mac I buy I'm in for a serious case of WTF speed. Phreeow! :D

As you pointed out any new Mac will be unlikely to be so long lived but that's fine by me as new Macbooks are a third the price I paid all those years ago!:)

Funny thing is all the useful bits & bobs have found happy homes already. My sister now has double the amount of memory in her laptop, my copy of Tiger and my airport card will be used to convert a netbook into a hackintosh if all goes well and the hard drive, in all its 30GB immensity, is already snug in a USB enclosure awaiting its new overlord.

It's kinda, but not quite, like those heads in a jar on Futurama! :D
  17. macrumors 68000

Jan 17, 2008
    my 266Mhz PBG3 is still in perfect condition. I don't know what I'd do without hot swapping drives :)
  18. macrumors 6502a

Aug 15, 2007
    Congrats on a wonderful life together! My PB is going on 3 years and I can only hope it can keep on trucking, even though it has white spots on the screen, the battery cant last for more than an hour, and can be slow as molasses even though I have updated it to 2 gigs. PB's for the win.
  19. macrumors 68000

Mar 4, 2006
    My 500mhz tibook is still chugging away. A friend of mine saw it the other day and said I should send it to the Smithsonian because it's in such good shape. It has spent the majority of it's time as a desktop so it didn't get much of the nicks and scraps that hauling one around would get. I keep it for an emergency back up incase my MacPro goes out; I'll at least be able to check my email. It's not good for much else and I can't sell it because it doesn't have much value. I haven't even replaced the battery from the original! When it gets unplugged I get about 10 minutes before the low battery warning pops up.