MY POWERBOOK FROZE!@

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ssj300, Jun 17, 2005.

1. ssj300 macrumors member

i though macs dunt freeze

i was playing warcraft iii reign of chaos
    with a powerbook
    1.67jizzlehurts g4
    1gig ram
    ati9700 128mb

someone tell me why it froze.

2. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

All computers freeze or crash at some point, even macs, the difference is that Macs can lose an App and carry on and they don't crash anywhere near as often as your standard Windoze PC.

It could have been a number of things, have you repaired your permissions etc. lately?

it's no biggie unless it happens a lot, in which case you may have hardware problems.

My 17" PowerBook was a complete lemon when it first arrived, you couldn't move it without it crashing, Apple replaced the machine and this one is still running strong nearly 2 years later.

Yes, it has frozen occasionally, but only when I've been doing silly things like rendering video and answering email at the same time.

3. ssj300 thread starter macrumors member

how do you go to desktop if ur playing a game?

4. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Macs freeze, too... :rolleyes:

Apps freeze/crash every now and then, but just very rarely will they bring the system down with them. Most often you can "just" kill (force quit) the frozen app (even Finder if that hangs) and your Mac will run happily on. But sometimes the System freezes up, too and you need to do a hard restart (hold power button in for 4-5 seconds to shutdown or in extreme cases pull the power cord (and battery if you have a 'Book)).

Even rarer are Kernel Panics (where the screen dims down and a multilingual message tells you to restart your Mac). They can be caused by faulty software, but repeated Kernel Panics most likely are sign of hardware error, and you should, immediately, backup all your data and get it serviced. I've had one Kernel Panic with my 19 month old iBook, more than a year ago, probably caused by BitTorrent (which also was to blame last time it froze), Bits on Wheels does not freeze my system... ;) I also had a few on my old Pismo, probably caused by a faulty 3rd party HD, that I finally got replaced.

5. ssj300 thread starter macrumors member

6. Manzana macrumors 6502a

Manzana

run the game in a window

7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

Opt-cmd-escape to bring up a Force Quit Application-window.

Or just right-click (ctrl-click) the frozen apps dock icon and choose Force Quit (which is easier but does not always work).

8. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Depends on the game, but generally I play in full screen. I'm not a hardcore gamer, but Halo ran well enough on the PowerBook, and I have a PS2 and mates with x-boxes if I want to get serious.

I don't play Warcraft, but I've got 1942, Ghost Recon, Myst VI and Biablo 2 installed at the moment, you never know what you'll fancy.

Sorry misunderstood your post, play in a window as suggested above, or simply quit the game and go to the desktop.

9. ssj300 thread starter macrumors member

how do you play in a window?
    that sounds cool

10. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

It's probably in the game preferences someplace.

11. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Command + M

12. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

13. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

If you hold option while right-clicking (or ctrl-clicking) on the Dock icon, the Quit option will change to Force Quit not matter if the OS thinks the app is frozen or not. That works about 99%+ of the time for me.

14. generik macrumors 601

generik

Is that stick of memory "good"?

The only time my PB ever froze in the 1 month I own it was when I put in not-so-compatible memory modules.

15. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

Damn I'm stupid.

What's with bumping this thread anyway?...

16. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I think he's solved the problem in the 5½ months it's been since posting :)