My Powerbook hates Wireless Networks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by mainstreetmark, Jan 12, 2005.

1. mainstreetmark
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Yeah, another "My wireless network has problems" thread. Sorry.

Alright, so at home, about 10 feet above my head (through a floor), sits an Airport Express plugged into the cable modem. I get 80%+ signal.

At work, a Linksys is about 4 feet behind me (through a wall). I get 100% signal.

At work AND at home, I got about 20% packetloss on a ping of google.com.

At home, I can ping the Airport Express for hours with 0% packet loss.

At work, my wireless network connection drops frequently. At home, it used to but hasn't in a while.

It actually dropped while posting this message. Here's syslog:

Jan 12 15:00:50 localhost kernel: AirPort: Link DOWN
    Jan 12 15:01:33 localhost kernel: AirPort: Link DOWN (out-of-range)
    Jan 12 15:01:36 localhost kernel: AirPort: Link UP: "*****" - 0012176d3ab6 - chan 11

I am using interface robustness.

What's going on here? I never used to have problems.

Is there a log I can look at? Should i be paying attention to tcpdump?

2. Gee
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 65816

Try changing channels on your wireless boxes - might just be that you're getting interference fro your neighbor's microwave....

3. northen
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors member

northen

Well, depending on the country you live in, you should, like the previous poster stated, change the channel.

I live in Europe, so I use channel 11. The problem is that the ISM band (International Scientific and Medical) around 2.4-2.5 GHz is license-free, so many different devices will overlap the band, including cordless phones and similar, but they typically use different channels than the WiFi hardware :)

4. honeytoast
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors regular

did you turn on interference robustness on because of problems you have had before? That option can really kill your range.

5. mainstreetmark
    Expand Collapse
    thread starter macrumors 68020

mainstreetmark

Well, like I said, I doubt it's anything to do with range - I'm right next to the wireless devices in each case.

Here's some new info:
    - The Win2k server i have right next to me is iTunesing my music, but it keeps having to resync about once every 3 songs. I try to ping it and am getting 10-30% packet loss. Pinging the Airport Express is 0% packet loss. The Win2k server is also wireless.

6. hulugu
    Expand Collapse
    macrumors 68000

hulugu

Odd problem that I had with the Airport Express streaming music is using the 802.11b/g option with my Powerbook; so I changed the AE to 802.11b only and it works great.

7. mainstreetmark
    Expand Collapse

mainstreetmark

Yeah, the "All-802.11B" network seemed to fix my stream re-buffering problem.

The dropping off at work problem I'm just going to blame on the network here. A tcpdump -i en1 shows tons, and tons, of "arp who-has" messages. 7.5KB/s worth!!

8. mainstreetmark
    Expand Collapse

mainstreetmark

New "At Home" problem. Sheesh.

Ok, so eeevery so often at home, i drop off the Airport Express wireless. My tcpdump says this:

11:24:09.996960 IP 10.0.1.4.mdns > 224.0.0.251.mdns: 0*- [0q] 1/0/0 (263)
    11:24:10.710683 mark.local > ff02::fb: HBH icmp6: multicast listener report max resp delay: 0 addr: ff02::fb [hlim 1]
    11:24:10.712395 mark.local > ff02::2: HBH icmp6: multicast listener done max resp delay: 0 addr: ff02::1:fff2:8569 [hlim 1]

Seems to be a lot of unusual stuff in there. Idears?