my powerbook is dead

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by virividox, Feb 10, 2005.

1. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    well just the hard drive woke up to hear the click of death and the screech of terror

anyway was able to target firewire mode and recover pictures and documents that were not in the weekly backups

lost my 30 gig music library, but its on an ipod so ill just download it

not really that mad just irked cuz its gonna cost me to replace the drive oh well

lesson learned

data redundancy rocks
    and all things mechanical fail

hope to get on the forums more regularly once my mac is back online

2. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

This is my worst nightmare. I bought a 250GB hard drive a few weeks ago for backups and that sort of thing. I've only copied my music library to it and some applications and stuff as well.

Is there any easy way to make a full backup?

3. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    CarbonCloneCopier(free) or SuperDuper!(free for basic back-up, $19.95 for incremental and extra roll-back features) will both make bootable clones to your new drive.

I use SuperDuper! which was very easy. Basically, start program - choose disk to back up, decide whether you want to test backup by rebooting into it, hit OK and wait.

You may have got some software for backing up files with the drive. LaCie ones come with Silverkeeper, IIRC

4. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

you can also use apples disk image utility

happens to us all

im just disappointed thatmy hd failed in just a little over 2 years

5. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

bad luck with the hdd ,just thinking if you can buy apple care for it ?? this late on in the game

6. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

See, this is scary. I've had numerous computers over the past 8 years and only the past few weeks i've started backing up. Even at that, i haven't made a full back up of everything yet. You read all these horror stories of power surges causing hard drives to fry etc :(

What exactly is a hard drive crash/failure? I've been thinking about this SMS feature of the new powerbooks.... is it any useful?

I could search but i'm too lazy today.

7. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

too late in the game oh well it happens

hard drive failures caused by a lot of things

but its the only moving part in the computer aside from the cddrive and all that movement is bound to give way sometime

just back up

8. baby duck monge macrumors 68000

baby duck monge

once the HD is gone it is also too late to make any backups, which is always sad. a few months ago i was helping a friend out that had the same problem - except her powerbook gave no indications of failure prior to the actual moment (in fact, it was running just fine, went to sleep, and then wouldn't wake up - didn't even sound like the HD had spun down). at least most of your stuff is backed up (good job doing that weekly).

the HD is dead. long live the HD!

9. emw macrumors G4

emw

You've just inspired me to update my backup, which is about 4 weeks old :eek:

10. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

most of my back ups were of specific things

but i think now the hassle of having to fix settings and all i will change my back up strategy to doing an entire disk image

it will take much more space on the external, but hey if ever it happens again at least i wont be wasting time :D

knock on wood

11. EGT macrumors 68000

EGT

I take it you just use the disk utility supplied with os x to make a disk image?

What about the program backup? I downloaded it a while ago but never installed it. Any good?

Again i apologise for being lazy.

12. chanoc macrumors 6502

chanoc

Yeah, select all and drag to the hard drive - easy. :)

13. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

My hard drive crashed 2 years ago - lost 80 gigs of files. Fun stuff. :( Good luck mate.

14. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

A "Head Strike" is when the head of the hard drive, which writes the data to the disk and 'floats' a few nanoinches above the platters of the hard drive. If it strikes the hard drive, it may cause data loss or damage but not necessarily kill the drive forever. Bad news though because of the data density among hard drives these days...

A "Head Crash" is when the head buries itself into the platter. The hard drive is toast. It is dead, gone, not alive anymore, whatever you want to call it. Call DriveSavers and hope and pray to your god and the three closest religion's nearest that they can help you out.

A "Hard Drive Failure" is when something like the motor breaks so the platters or something cannot spin. Essentially, something aside from the head of the hard drive breaks.

I just backed up my PowerBook because its taking a trip to AppleCare....:)
    Thank you Apple for FireWire Target Disk Mode!

15. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

Ya - that firewire disk mode saved me not once, but twice!

16. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

inept support i dnt need them to diagnose the problem i need them to replace my hard drive its been there 1 week and they havent even 'diagnosed' the issue, i just emailed them telling them to just replace the drive and send it back asap ugh slow slow slow

17. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Actually my repair was unrelated to the hard drive... it was due to some case problems. The case was separating. It left 3:45 today... :(

18. virividox thread starter macrumors 601

virividox

19. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Backup is a real pain for me because I have over 700GB of data across several HDs. I'd imagine I'd have to spend at least $1000 on firewire cases and extra drives to keep a full backup of all my data.