Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Hey guys,
Today while doing some Photoshop work, my Powerbook started to make a loud grinding noise, gave me the spinning beachball of death, and froze (I had to hold the power button to reboot it). Since, it's rebooted a few times, and each time, the same thing happens... this grinding noise comes on, everything freezes, reboot. When doing unintensive things, such as surfing the web, usually it will make the grinding noise and freeze up, but after about 30 seconds or so, it will quiet down and load the website. It's like being on dial-up! I'm not really sure what the problem could be, maybe the harddrive? Does anybody have any idea what it could be, suggestions how to fix it, and a cost estimate? I'm going to let it sit turned off all night, hopefully by tomorrow it will feel better...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Back everything up. Go to Disk Utility and check that the SMART status is verified. Maybe try fsck too, although it probably won't help a failing drive, if that's what it is. :)

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
So supposing it is a harddrive failure, which I hope it's not...

What would you guys estimate is the cost to have this fixed? Is this the kind of thing I'd be able to do myself? If not, can the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store fix it, or does the PB need to be sent somewhere? How long will it take?

Thanks

capone2

macrumors regular
Mar 29, 2005
chelsea-nyc
i would think not cheap?

KevRC4130 said:
So supposing it is a harddrive failure, which I hope it's not...

What would you guys estimate is the cost to have this fixed? Is this the kind of thing I'd be able to do myself? If not, can the Genius Bar at my local Apple Store fix it, or does the PB need to be sent somewhere? How long will it take?

Thanks

,but it may not and yes take it to the genius bar and discuss with them....

PB 15"1.67ghz/1gbram
iPod White Nano/4GB

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Assuming it's a failed hard drive, here's a guide to changing it over. It's not really that hard. It'll take a professional mere minutes to complete. Living in Australia with no Apple Stores, I can't really offer any help on the other questions. :)

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
Thanks for the help guys. I'm still not 100% it's the HD. Here's something to consider... The computer works fine for about 20-30 minutes, and it's not until then that it makes the noise and freezes up. I think heat probably has something to do with it.

GiantsFan

macrumors member
May 15, 2004
san jose OR riverside, Cali
KevRC4130 said:
Thanks for the help guys. I'm still not 100% it's the HD. Here's something to consider... The computer works fine for about 20-30 minutes, and it's not until then that it makes the noise and freezes up. I think heat probably has something to do with it.

wow, sounds like the problem I had that I also posted on this forum last week. I ended up opening up my powerbook, disconnected then reconnected the HD. it fixed the noise and the freezing. they have a great guide at http://www.pbfixit.com .

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
GiantsFan said:
wow, sounds like the problem I had that I also posted on this forum last week. I ended up opening up my powerbook, disconnected then reconnected the HD. it fixed the noise and the freezing. they have a great guide at http://www.pbfixit.com .

Thanks. I was reading your thread, and you wrote:
"It vibrates my powerbook and nothing responds (i can move mouse cursor around but can't click anything)."

This is exactly what is happening to me. I think I'm going to hold off for a few more replies, and maybe a trip to the apple store, before opening the case, but it does indeed sound like we have the same problem.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
So I took the whole PB apart and unplugged and replugged in the harddrive. I thought it fixed it... but it's started again. The problems don't seem as bad as they were, but still definately intolerable. I'm almost tempted to open it up again, since it kind of helped. Does anybody have any suggestions?

Arcus

macrumors 6502a
Dec 28, 2004
of my hand will get me slapped.
KevRC4130 said:
So I took the whole PB apart and unplugged and replugged in the harddrive. I thought it fixed it... but it's started again. The problems don't seem as bad as they were, but still definately intolerable. I'm almost tempted to open it up again, since it kind of helped. Does anybody have any suggestions?

There really isnt much inside a computer that can make grinding noises.:

1) CD ROm Drive - doesnt apply since it is affecting everything. Although if you have a CD in there pull it out for grins.

2) Fans - Doubt a fan failure would cause such an immediate lockup

3) Hard Drive - Would do exactly as described.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
I agree that it sounds like the HD. I had the same issue in my PB (well it sounds like it was the same issue). I installed a new HD and restored it from a FW back-up of the original (3 days out of date). The problem went away..

PS Have you been on iTunes recently. I hear that the Ministore checks your machine and if it is a PB it kills it ;).

PPS. Cost wise I don't know as I am in the UK. The replacement drive (100GB 5400) cost me £100 ($170) and the labour (I tried and nearly destroyed everything) cost be £70 ($115).

No where near the price of a new MBP.

jacobj

macrumors 65816
Apr 22, 2003
Jersey
KevRC4130 said:

I missed this. When I opened up my PB it was filthy inside. I mean dusty as hell. That was causing her to run a little hot too.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
Hi I'd just get a new hard drive, the biggest and fastest you can afford. Toshiba's have a bigger cache than Hitachi's even if their rpm quotient is lower making a 5400rpm Toshiba about as fast as an Hitachi 7200rpm -- DON'T get a Fujistu.

If it were me, I'd also take the time while the Powerbook was open to drop a newer superdrive in the case. Get a better one than shipped with your older PB. Then I'd sell the old one, I'm sure it has life left in it. but that's just me. Remember, heat kills hard drives so I'm sure that this has something to do with your pb's issues.

KevRC4130

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 1, 2004
Massachusetts
California said:
Hi I'd just get a new hard drive, the biggest and fastest you can afford. Toshiba's have a bigger cache than Hitachi's even if their rpm quotient is lower making a 5400rpm Toshiba about as fast as an Hitachi 7200rpm -- DON'T get a Fujistu.

If it were me, I'd also take the time while the Powerbook was open to drop a newer superdrive in the case. Get a better one than shipped with your older PB. Then I'd sell the old one, I'm sure it has life left in it. but that's just me. Remember, heat kills hard drives so I'm sure that this has something to do with your pb's issues.

Ha! You guys really want me to upgrade this baby don't you! :)

I'm really looking to spend the cheapest amount possible. I could afford whatever it takes, but I simply don't WANT to spend it.

I'm considering getting a brand new HD off ebay... good idea?

Any other suggestions what I should do to fix my problem besides replacing things?

Thanks

crowalita

macrumors newbie
May 9, 2006
Gainesville/Miami
How's your PB doing?

Hi, I am having similar problems with my PB G4. I was wondering if your computer worked after changing the HD. Did you get it from ebay? any other suggestions?

citi

macrumors 65816
May 2, 2006
Simi Valley, CA
KevRC4130 said:
Ha! You guys really want me to upgrade this baby don't you! :)

I'm really looking to spend the cheapest amount possible. I could afford whatever it takes, but I simply don't WANT to spend it.

I'm considering getting a brand new HD off ebay... good idea?

Any other suggestions what I should do to fix my problem besides replacing things?

Thanks

I would not recommend buying a hard drive off ebay. I think you are asking for undue stress and if they send a bad one or one on it's last legs, you are in for trouble down the road. I recommend newegg.com. They always have sales on components and reviews from buyers. Especially powerbook owners.

It sounds like a hd issue to me. HD can have varying symptons, but the grinding/spinning ball tells me it having trouble accessing some or plates. The heat could also bring to surface problems of a dying hard drive which is why it seems to work before your internals head up, expand etc.

Good luck to you.

CT
Good luck to you.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.