My PowerBook leaves tomorrow...

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by NEENAHBOY, Aug 1, 2005.

1. NEENAHBOY macrumors 6502

I got it back on Friday fresh off a logic board replacement and a screen latch replacement, and noticed that the lid will pop up after a few seconds, and thus wake from sleep. I can also lift the screen without having to depress the latch. The aluminium casing above the optical drive is now warped (there's a visible slope), and the hard plastic edging has begun to separate from the aluminium casing on the front.

Needless to say, I was quite perturbed when I called AppleCare this afternoon. So they're sending ANOTHER repair box which'll get here tomorrow, and hopefully they can get this thing figured out.

If I had an Apple Store within 50 miles of me, I could just have the genuises do all the work, but alas...

2. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

3. rkristich macrumors member

My Powerbook will also leave me tomorrow, it keeps freezing, even after two erase and installs of Tiger, so Apple sent me a box that should be here tomorrow (for the whole story go to this thread).

That really does suck that you have to send it back again. I'm worried that either my PB will come back and still have problems, or have new problems. I'm very careful with my PB, and after 6 months there are no scratches or dents on it, so I hope whoever fixes it is just as careful as I am with it.

I'll bet you're hoping this is last time (at least for a while) that you have to send your PB to get fixed!

4. NEENAHBOY thread starter macrumors 6502

Darn right! But I have two years left on AppleCare, and I'll send it in as many times as it takes to get it right.

5. $MacUser$ macrumors 6502

This is discouraging news...I just got a PBook on friday...hope it doesnt crap on me!

6. rkristich macrumors member

Don't worry, most PowerBooks seem to do fine. And the chances of having to get it repaired twice like NEENAHBOY are pretty slim. At least Apple is pretty good about letting you send stuff to them to fix; AppleCare is definitely the best warranty service I've used. Anyways, I hope you're enjoying your new PB :D

On another note, it will not be today when my PB leaves me, but another few days. Why? I recieved the box to pack it in earlier today, but the label that you use to ship it back (and that also gives you free shipping) was all messed up. It looked like somebody tore it during the journey and put copious amounts of tape over the label. For anyone who's never had to send something to Apple, the labels are sort of double layered. After you recieve it, you tear off the top label (this part has your address on it) along the perforated edges, and underneath there's a label with the address back to Apple and info about your product. So I called AppleCare up, and they're sending me another box. Hopefully this one will be in better condition.

7. NEENAHBOY thread starter macrumors 6502

That's an unfortunate turn of events. Hopefully you'll get another one tomorrow. I'm waiting for DHL to pick mine up now; maybe I'll get it back by the end of the week if they have the parts in the warehouse. My first repair saw a hold time of nine days, but once they got the logic board in it was back to me within 24 hours.

8. rkristich macrumors member

DHL just delivered a new box, and the label is intact, so my PB will be gone tomorrow. I really hope it doesn't take much more than a week to get repaired, school starts back up next Wednesday, and I do much better work on my PB than my Dell laptop.

I hope you get your computer back soon too!

9. NEENAHBOY thread starter macrumors 6502

AppleCare received the PB today, and they're running it through post-repair tests right now. This usually means that they'll be shipping it out tonight and I'll be receiving it tomorrow morning. Yes!

10. nels0360 macrumors member

I hope everything works out for you.

Just a side note. I dropped off my PB 12" at the Apple store yesterday at 4 pm or so. The top and bottom of the case needed to be repleace due to it rocking & a few cracks in the plastic.

Amazingly, it is on it's way back to the Apple store already...only about 27 hours later. I should be able to pick it up tomorrow at the store. Needless to say, I'm pretty impressed with Apple's Repair service.

11. NEENAHBOY thread starter macrumors 6502

OK, I received the PowerBook today. They replaced the bottom case assembly, and all was well. Or so I thought. The PB isn't recognizing my Bluetooth module at all. It says it's not available, and searching for it in the System Information section of About This Mac didn't yield any results either. It's as if they mistakenly removed it during the repair. Any ideas, people?