My Powerbook no longer draws a charge from the mains

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Jesus, Feb 7, 2007.

1. Jesus macrumors 6502

My 1.67ghz, 15" high resolution, Powerbook seems to be broken. I use my laptop all day every day on battery power, and charge it through the night. Today, when I got home, it drew no charge from the adaptor. I have a backup iBook G3 which still charges perfectly off the same adapter, yet the Powerbook doesn't. I have left plugged in for about 45 minutes now, but still no charge, so the computer won't start up. I have a lot of important work on this computer, so I at least need some way of getting my data off it without ripping it apart to remove the HD. What should I do? I suspect that the power port in the laptop is somehow deformed, and thus is not making a connection. If this is the poblem, will it mean a new logic board??

Thank you for reading.
  2. mick4394 macrumors 6502a

Oct 25, 2006
    Flyover country
    If the port is the problem, you will not need to replace the logic board. The part you want is the DC in board. It's a fairly inexpensive, easy fix. But, if the port isn't the problem, you could have a much bigger issue. In which case, a logic board replacement is not out of the question.