Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
Hi,

I purchased my Powerbook (last rev.) in December of Last year.

Its the 15" 1.67 ghz model, and I've been runinng temperature monitor recently, and its been getting into the 60-70 celsius range.

It never used to be like this before, and the vent at the back is not BLOCKED is anyway. Is there any way that I can cool it down or shall i ring up Apple?

I did drop my Powerbook like 5 months ago on the edge not flat on, but I'm 100% certain NO INTERNAL DAMAGE has been caused because of this.

Please do help, my hands are sweating while writing this thread due to the heat coming from my Powerbook.

yoda13

macrumors 65816
Sep 26, 2003
Texas
Well, if you dropped it and its not spot on anymore, then you likely need work, but if Apple can tell you dropped it, then they won't cover the work more than likely.

wasimyaqoob

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 23, 2005
London, England.
I dropped it 5 months ago and I wasnt overheating then, Its just been the last day which its been overheating.

Its really odd because when I did drop it, no internal damage occured, everything was fine. Just a cosmetic dent by the DVD Drive, nothing else.

Since last night, I was watching Prison Break, its been overheating ever since.

Any Ideas? - Or how I can cool it down?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Are you using it on a flat, hard and well-ventilated surface? Is there anything in Activity Monitor using up a lot of your CPU? Does the heat seem to be mainly coming from one certain area? :)

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I've read somewhere else that it is the updates to Tiger.

I notice on my brand new 12" PB, with the new updates, the fan is on all the time.

On my old 667 Tibook, same story.

I hear that people with older G3 PBs are downgrading to Panther because their laptops are suddenly sounding like jets taking off with the fan noise.

I think this is actually a remedy to the heat issue. Apple's just protecting themselves by making the fans come on in our computers all the time now!

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
wasimyaqoob said:
Mad_jew - Yes I'm using a flat surface mate, just using my desk.

California, well if the fan comes on, shouldnt it cool down the Powerbook?

Yes, but what I think I understand is that the CPU use has been upped in the latest Tiger updates, straining our processors more than previous OS revisions.

I may not understand it all, but I think that is causing our lappies to run hotter.

Don't forget we wouldn't be in this Intel thing with Mac if Apple had figured out a way to make a cooler laptop processor. I am investing in a laptop stand with a fan in order to counteract the bigger strain on the CPU with Tiger updates and upcoming Leopard. ALso, make sure you max out your ram, and I'd get a 7200rpm hd in order to run new revisions better.

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I am looking at the ones with built in but quiet fans that physically suck away the heat from the bottom of the laptop.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
hmm, this G4 runs at around 58 degrees Celcuis when browsing the net/ non intensive tasks. Tell it to do something and it soon goes upto 65oC+

I use it on a flat surface (kitchen table) But Ive noticed it getting quite hot. Im sure the MBP's are about the same temp/cooler than these. :confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.