My Powerbook Sucks at Gaming!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Capt Underpants, Dec 28, 2004.

1. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Well I knew my powerbook wouldn't be perfect at gaming, but I thought it would play Medal of Honor decently, so I bought MOHAA. Playing on 1024x768 with everything on low or minimun, no weather effects, etc. my framerates still dip as low as 10. I am very disappointed...

2. applekid macrumors 68020

How the hell?

My iMac with its crappy GeForce4MX is doing great with MoH:AA. As in 30 FPS is quite realistic. Something is wrong. But, I think you knew that already :D

3. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Yeah, I thought something was wrong. There's no way a 500 MHz G4 w/ 16 MB VRAM is required to play, and I can't play decently with a 1.33 GHz G4 and 64 MB VRAM. Does anyone have any ideas on how to remedy this?

4. Phat_Pat macrumors 68000

Phat_Pat

do you have all the updates... drivers, game updates, OSX updates?

5. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm running Mac OSX.3.7, and I don't know of any Spearhead game updates, or Nvidia graphics driver updates. I thought all of the driver updates were inculded in 10.3.7.

6. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

7. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Not to imply that you haven't already checked, but sometimes it's the most obvious things which can cause problems:

• Have you checked Activity Monitor to ensure that nothing else is eating up your CPU?
    • Do you have sufficient RAM?

8. darkwing macrumors 65816

My 17" Rev C PB sucks on gaming, too. I figured it was just Aspyr being a crappy company. Some games run ok, like Warcraft 3 and Dungeon Siege. I didn't have any issues with the Wolfenstein 3d demo. That one ran GREAT on my Rev A 17" (later sold for the C) however, Aspyr and MacSoft games all seem to run very poorly. (Read: halo and simcity 4)

Steve

9. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Tell us something we don't/shouldn't already know.

10. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Thank you for such a productive response :rolleyes: :confused:

11. jackieonasses macrumors 6502a

jackieonasses

What if by chance your processor is set to "reduced"

It has happened to me before

kyle

12. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

My processor is set to automatic.

13. Rezet macrumors 6502a

Rezet

A. Set it on highest. It helps. But I doubt it will bring your fps from teens to 30s. :eek:

B. If (A) fails, drag and drop your laptop on ebay and get a desktop. For gaming, get a PC.

14. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

A freakin game isn't worth giving up a mac over. I've already saved up 50% of the money I need for a gaming PC. I'll get the rest eventually, and then I'll have the best of both worlds. Until then, though, it would be nice if I could p lay games on my mac. If not, then oh well. I'll get over it...

15. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

As stupid as this sounds, try turning some of your settings UP. When i was playing MoH:AA on my Powerbook, I found that medium/high graphics gave me better overall frame rates than lowest/low... even on 1280x854.

16. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

Okay. I am now getting 30-40 FPS when I'm just walking, but when I get in a fire fight, my FPS drop down into the teens. I guess I can handle that...

17. applekid macrumors 68020

Still too odd. And this is just in MoH:AA (no expansions MoH)? And we're talking about a 12-inch PowerBook (like in your sig), correct?

Any other games under-performing lately?

18. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

It's on both MOH:AA and the expansion pack "Spearhead". Yes, it is the 12" powerbook in my signature. You're right, this kind of performance is not acceptable on my machine. I just don't know what to do about it...

19. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

That's very weird. I run MoH: AA at 1024x768 on my 933 MHz machine and I get perfect framerates. It requeres a 500 MHz G3 minumum, so something is wrong.

20. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

By "Perfect framerates" what do you mean? Does it go below 30 ever? 25? 20?

21. dnordwall macrumors newbie

I have a 15" G4 1.5 Ghz with 2G of ram, the fast BTO hard drive, and the fully upgraded 9700 w/ 128 megs.

Mine sucks at WoW :)

Honestly, I think mine is the hard drive.

22. applekid macrumors 68020

With my machine, gunfights don't even bring me down so low it gets choppy.

I think you'll have to try giving Aspyr an e-mail. Tell them you've upped the settings to see frame rates actually improve and all of the details. Never heard of anything like this before.

Now, in Spearhead, it's not dropping at the particular single player mission with the truck and machine gun, right? I'm sure you've read the few threads we've had of it before. Because that's a universal bug, so there's nothing that can be done. But that's only for one map. Anything weird happening when you play online? Some huge amounts of lag, graphical glitches, etc.

23. Capt Underpants thread starter macrumors 68030

Capt Underpants

I'm getting these bad framerates in online multiplayer, not the buggy single player mission. I'm getting really good pings when I play online, but my framerates just aren't cutting it. There aren't any graphical glitches either. I guess I will have to email them :(

24. ChrisFromCanada macrumors 65816

ChrisFromCanada

I know someone already said this but you have tried setting your processor to highest and not just automatic right?