My PowerBook's Blue Screen of Death

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Juventuz, Apr 19, 2006.

1. Juventuz macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Here's the situation. I was on my PowerBook, 10.4.6, and it was acting VERY slow. I was always getting the spinning beachball so I decided to reboot. Well the grey screen comes up, then the blue screen with the Mac OS X window comes up, the progress bar completes then it goes to load the desktop and everything else, yet nothing comes up. Just a blue screen with the mouse cursor. I can move the mouse and the cursor will move, but that's it. Just a blue screen. I've tried rebooting a few times and get the same thing every time.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. AppleCareWorker macrumors newbie

This Should Work

Shut Dowm and Reboot into Safe mode. Which is Holding the Shift Key Down on start up. You should get to the desktop and then be able to restart normal

3. Juventuz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Thanks, I tried booting into safe mode, but the screen just hangs on the grey screen with the Apple when you first turn in on. I tried a couple of times rebooting into safe mode, but nothing.

4. AppleCareWorker macrumors newbie

Boot up to your instal CD 1 by holding down the C key and then look for utitlies on the top menu bar and open disk utiliys and run Repair Disk if it comes back with any error and it can not fix them then u will have to do a erase and instal if it found things and fixed them then restart test it if u get the same thing run a Archive and Instal Preserving Network and User settings

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=107120

5. Juventuz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Juventuz

Well I was finally able to boot into Safe Mode. It wouldn't allow me to log in to my side, but I was able to log into my wifes side. With that being said I went to Disk Utility and for my HD it says that the S.M.A.R.T. Status is Failing. I can't perform a Verify Disk Permissions or Repair Disk Permissions.

Does this mean my HD is failing? Should I creat a disk image?

6. AppleCareWorker macrumors newbie

yes your hard drive is faling and u need to back up everything and take it into a Apple Service Provider asap. So Back Up Everything and take it in or Call Apple Care to have a Box Sent to you so u can mail it into apple

7. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Cool! We have a bona-fide AppleCare rep in out midst!