my powerbook's power status is acting wacky

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by absolutmp5, Aug 12, 2004.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2004
    well heres the deal. I use to leave my 15' inch titatinum powerbook (1ghz) plugged into its power adapter all the time. I would rarely use it unless i was going somewhere else for a long time. Now that i have taken this trip to india my powerbooks battery status is acting weird. At first it would say 99 percent then 98 to 97 but it was after a while that the power status would decrease one percent. Once it say around 94% or so it would then instantly drop to 0 percent and the laptop would sleep without warning. Why is this happening and how do i get back to accurate power status indications.
  2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

May 31, 2004
    This happened to my wife's Titanium 1GHz as well, and I believe that because the battery wasn't used optimally, it may be out of juice. You may have to purchase another battery....

Lee Tom
  3. absolutmp5 thread starter macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2004
    nooooo! i dont feel like forking over more cash, is there any solutions besides purchasing a new battery?
  4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Aug 11, 2003
    You can always try calibrating it if it'll hold a charge any longer that is. The instructions are here.
  5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    I had the same problem with my former 17 inch powerbook. I don't think there is any problem with your battery...

This is what I did: When the battery got down to 97% or 96% I would simply unplug it and run down the battery to around 90%. I would then plug it back in and allow the battery to recharge fully to 100%.

I have never had any problems with my battery using the method described above. It seems like less of a problem and more of a nuissance...

Hope that helps. :)
  6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

Feb 17, 2003
    New Jersey USA
    I was in the same boat. I had to allow it to run down 3 times and charge it back up. Each time it finally said CHARGED. But still only help 90 minutes or so. After the third time in 3 days I now get a full 4 to 5 hours out of mine.