my powerbook's power status is acting wacky

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by absolutmp5, Aug 12, 2004.

1. absolutmp5 macrumors regular

well heres the deal. I use to leave my 15' inch titatinum powerbook (1ghz) plugged into its power adapter all the time. I would rarely use it unless i was going somewhere else for a long time. Now that i have taken this trip to india my powerbooks battery status is acting weird. At first it would say 99 percent then 98 to 97 but it was after a while that the power status would decrease one percent. Once it say around 94% or so it would then instantly drop to 0 percent and the laptop would sleep without warning. Why is this happening and how do i get back to accurate power status indications.

2. LeeTom macrumors 68000

LeeTom

This happened to my wife's Titanium 1GHz as well, and I believe that because the battery wasn't used optimally, it may be out of juice. You may have to purchase another battery....

Lee Tom

3. absolutmp5 thread starter macrumors regular

nooooo! i dont feel like forking over more cash, is there any solutions besides purchasing a new battery?

4. Lancetx macrumors 68000

Lancetx

You can always try calibrating it if it'll hold a charge any longer that is. The instructions are here.

5. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I had the same problem with my former 17 inch powerbook. I don't think there is any problem with your battery...

This is what I did: When the battery got down to 97% or 96% I would simply unplug it and run down the battery to around 90%. I would then plug it back in and allow the battery to recharge fully to 100%.

I have never had any problems with my battery using the method described above. It seems like less of a problem and more of a nuissance...

Hope that helps. :)

6. seamuskrat macrumors 6502a

seamuskrat

I was in the same boat. I had to allow it to run down 3 times and charge it back up. Each time it finally said CHARGED. But still only help 90 minutes or so. After the third time in 3 days I now get a full 4 to 5 hours out of mine.