My PowerMac thinks its in 1970

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by elensil, Feb 22, 2003.

1. elensil macrumors regular

The clock in my PowerMac is now set to 1970 I wonder what might have caused this time trip. I am running 10.2.4. Any ideas?

2. altivec 2003 macrumors regular

Hmm, that's strange. I used to have that trouble last year when I first switched to OSX.1, but I don't have it anymore. All I did is just reset my clock (using the date and time preferences) and after doing this a couple of times it stopped messing up :confused: oh well. Hope this works :)

3. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

go to the clock system preferences, and set it to the apple clock server so that it will adjust its self everytime it is off... hope that helps..

aethier

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

Possibly the PRAM may have resently been reset, or the clock battery drained due to a lack of power (computer unplugged, power outage for a significant amount of time). Also, another application could have caused this.

I have had this several times to me, but I don't really take notice.

5. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

battary drained?

From my PC experience when a battary dies, the clock starts to log behind, but it doesn't go 33 years back...

Thanks for help, i was wondering about its origin...

6. taisoo macrumors newbie

whenever the clock gets reset, it goes back to dec. 31 1969. it's a unix thing.

7. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

thank you

Thats a real answer.
    Now how does it reset?

8. taisoo macrumors newbie

if your powermac isn't relatively new, i'm going to guess that your clock battery probably got drained. i've only seen this problem on laptops that have their batteries completely drained.

9. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Open your PM. look for a small battery about the diameter of an AA, but only an inch or so long. Probably will be black and pink in color. Write down the battery number written on the side, buy a new one, shut down, and swap the batteries.

that's if it's dead. try everything else first... does it reset itself every time you reboot your computer, or randomly, or what?

pnw

10. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

i have a dual 867 MDD

i would think that these battaries run for a couple of years:)

11. Independence macrumors regular

Re: My PowerMac thinks its in 1970

my old windows 95 machine (no longer have it, damn good machine :() set its date to 1987 when the year 2000 came around. i set it to 2000 and it worked fine. dont know what caused it to happen with yours though.

12. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

ITS A 10.2.4 BUG

I just have been to Apple support page and forums are full of this stuff. A lot of people are affected by this and this is certainly not a battary problem. Apple has to release a patch SOON.
    IF ANY OF YOU HAS THE SAME PROBLEM

COMPLAIN TO APPLE, maybe then soon would be sooner...

13. King Cobra macrumors 603

I doubt complaining will be much more helpful, considering one thread has well over 100 responses.

This is not happening with my computer, though. Before AND after I installed the update, I ran my permissions check from the Jaguar CD, and this problem about the clock has not happened since I updated the system software.

For those with the clock problem, try repairing your permissions.

[edit]

I restarted AND shut down my computer, and I did not get this error. If this a problem with the system software, it would most likely only affect certain models computers. Otherwise, proper maintenance was neglected on your part.

14. finleymac macrumors newbie

Am having the same problem. I'm getting really sick of living in 1969. It wouldn't really bug me, but unless your date a time are correct you can't log into Apple's email or hotmail on the web. For now the only real fix is to use a network time server, that is if you have an internet connection.

I'm using a dual 867 w/ Geforce4 Ti and 1 gig of RAM.

15. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

It's not that your Power Mac thinks it's 1970...

It's that YOU think it's 2003!

Nixon for President!

16. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

I must addmit that i was repairing permissions before and after 10.2.4 update, but not from an install CD.

On the other hand the problem is so major (affected many others) that in my opinion Apple should have sorted it out before the launch.

And a lot of people have never even heard about repairing permissions as a regular system maintanence tool. Perhaps they haven't read the manual thoroughly... but this sort of thing must be more widely publicesed.

17. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

mmmdreg

i think the clock on my iMac reset when I pressed that reset button in its side which kinda stuffed the computer up a bit...

18. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Apple please fix!!!

Seems like most Dual G4 are affected by this 1969 time bug. ALOT of people on the Apple discussion boards at talking. Apple must know.

Crap I thought it was my new computer. I did everything; repaired permissions, zapped the PRAM, FSCK-Y, reset NVRAM, even replaced the damned battery. Nothing worked. I thought it must be the logic board and was going to take it back to the Apple store... but low and behold, it's was just 10.2.4.

It's just more annoying than problematic. Hope for the fix soon...

19. elensil thread starter macrumors regular

We just got the security update... thats pretty swell for 1970!!!

How about you address 'That 70's Show' problem alot of us have been having:mad:

20. DreaminDirector macrumors 6502a

DreaminDirector

Damn right! Well, I kinda fixed my "time warp" machine. I just leave it on all the time. A fix would be nice though....