My Prediction for OS XI

Discussion in 'macOS' started by pionata, Jan 29, 2007.

1. pionata macrumors 6502

Just some thinking...

The best move apple could make to smash Microsoft and change the PC world.

In 3 years, when the iPhone is the best selling phone:

OsXI: integrated 3d interface with a toutchscreen 32+"iMac

This would pout Vista to shame and at the same time be a revolution in computer interfaces. I really see the iPhone as the first step toward that goal, in order to get people addicted to the toutchscreen interfaces. What do you think?

Imagine the possibilities for music and graphics artists.

Some examples of that technology already working:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LByAFrcOwJk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLhMVNdplJc

2. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

we're only up to 10.5, and Apple have 10.6 and 10.7 covered already.

I don't want to even think about what OS XI will bring. Any predictions I make will be so completely wrong i'll be ashamed i even thought of them.

3. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Touchscreen is PART of the future, IMO. There are many things that touching is inefficient for, have you seen the Jeff Han thing?

As he says, the point-and-click system is getting outdated, but we have no real alternative yet...

4. pionata thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, Im ashamed too, but Im an artist and have been waiting for this for 10 years already.

5. mattcube64 macrumors 65816

mattcube64

Not until just now. :eek: :eek: :eek:

WOW! That *is* the future. I'd love to compute like that.

However, would we see a change in desks, because that could only be comfortable if the screen was below you, horizontally, like in the video. No way would I want to do that on my monitor right now.

Plus, that would have to start on the iMac, because you can be sure that Apple will be a pioneer in the technology. If the Mac Pro offered it, I'm sure monitors wouldn't be out there to utilize it.

6. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Apple, or rather Steve Jobs, has always wanted to change the world. I do not believe he ever cared about smashing Microsoft. Journalists cover everything as though it were a sporting event. This is why most of them do not understand Apple. Jobs makes products he thinks are great, and sells them to people who agree.

OS-XI first requires that Apple change the way they pronounce OS-X (OS-EX). Next it would require a change in the operating system as great as the change from Classic to OS-X. Just changing hardware won't do. We are already seeing OS-X on devices that we did not formerly think of as computers: phones, Airport base stations, and the Apple TV.

There will be hardware changes that most of us can't imagine. A really big iMac is very imaginable since it is essentially the same except more so. The surprise is what makes this field so interesting. Best wishes.

7. holamiamigos macrumors 6502a

8. Kalns macrumors regular

Kalns

You're still thinking too limited. I predict that by the time OSXI hits that the iMac and the Macbook will merge into one computer. How you ask? Simple, when at home you simply dock the screen and you're working on a desktop with more power. Then when you're on the go, you don't reach for a different computer, you simply take the screen with you. By this time the computers are using solid state storage that's hot swappable and upgradeable. Moreover, when you dock the computer at home you switch to the receiver station which is larger and can be used instantly with any computer you dock with it. Hence, at work or school you can dock your mac and use whatever station is available.

9. timswim78 macrumors 6502a

timswim78

Right now, nothing really beats a keyboard. Just think of all of the keyboard shortcuts that we have, because using a mouse is so inefficient in many cases.

I guess that the future will see more hybrid designs, such as tablets and touch-screens, combined with keyboards and mice.

Maybe we'll see thin monitors that look like mousepads, but that allow us to use pointing devices or finger.

10. dswoodley macrumors 6502a

Why would it require a pronunciation change? OS X is OS Ten and OS XI is OS Eleven. What change is needed exactly?

11. iMacZealot macrumors 68020

I never liked pronouncing it OS-ex because when I'd talk about it, a lot of people, mainly non-tech people, thought I was saying OS-sex.

12. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

this was exactly my thought. the monitor mousepad would be a mirrored image of the bigger/actual monitor. and you could use gestures to do whatever it is os xi will let you do.

13. elppa macrumors 68040

elppa

It was never ever meant to be pronounced OS EX. I don't know where emptyCup has got this from.

Listen to the next time someone who works for Apple refers to it.

Or even Justin Long.

14. BlueHorseshoe2 macrumors newbie

I see a speration between the display and the multi touch interface, at least as a first step.

Monitors will remain as they are today, but keyboard and mouse get replaced by a rectanglular multi touch input, which can display anything it wants.

It can show a keyboard for typing, will know when you are not typing and trying to grab things on the screen for manipulation.

Either that, or the monitor will be face up on the desk, instead of upright. Don't know about you, but my it would be annoying and tiring to have to touch my screen for everything. Thats why i see, or hope for, a multitouch input device that can display anything it wants...it could mirror the main display if the user chooses to do so.