My predictions for the September 1st event

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by AceFernalld, Aug 25, 2010.

1. macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Statistics on # of iOS devices, App Store sales, iPad sales, iPhone 4 sales

iPod touch 4:
    • A4
    • 512MB RAM
    • Gyroscope
    • Retina Display
    • 3MP rear-facing camera w/ VGA video
    • 802.11n WiFi
    • Aluminum back
    • VGA front-facing camera w/ FaceTime
    • Microphone
    • iOS 4.1
    • iWork for iPhone/iPod touch shipping to be released later this month
    • 16GB 3rd gen - $199, 32GB 4th gen - $299, 64GB 4th gen - $399
    • POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY: 5MP rear-facing camera w/ 720p video capture

Updates to nano (touch screen? 32GB?), shuffle (1" touch screen?) and iPod classic capacity bump to 250GB

iTV
    • 99¢ TV show rentals
    • Possibly some sort of Hulu-plus-esque subscription
    • Slimmer/more portable form factor
    • Flash storage
    • $99
    • Update to Remote application for iOS 4/iTV control/iPad support

iTunes X
    • Cloud-based streaming
    • Minor interface improvements

iOS 4.1 for iPad
    • Exposé multitasking
    • Folders
    • iAds
    • Run iPhone 4 applications at larger size without pixel-doubling
    • Beta release today to developers
    • Public release in late October
    • POSSIBLE BUT UNLIKELY: iLife for iPad

I know there have been similar threads, but I thought I would contribute my in-depth predictions now that we are only a week away. Post your predictions below!

2. macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Nice thread. Agreed on the iPod touch, but I still think it will stick to 256MB RAM. The iPod nano needs to get 32GB this refresh around, and I think it will happen. I also think a 3MP rear cam is going to be on the back of the touch this year, as well as a gyroscope and a high chance of a retina display and FaceTime camera.

3. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Thanks! :D
    I'm saying 512MB RAM because the iPod touch is marketed and thought of by Apple as a gaming device, and increasing the RAM to that of the iPhone 4 would make it function better as a gaming device with loading times and graphics. Plus, it's inexpensive and the RAM of the iPod touch has always been the same as the iPhone (first gen 128, second and third 256). Just my 2¢ though :p

4. macrumors member

Optimism

I really hope they get all those features on the new ipods, i would be fine with a 3mp cam, as long as there is the retina, rear camera, mic, and gyroscope im pretty much ecstatic :D :D :D :D

5. macrumors 6502a

lbro

Nice little post Ace! I agree, the RAM will most likely be bumped to 512MB. If it has been 256 for two gens than it must change.

6. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Hah, same! By far my most desired feature is the Retina Display, how about you? :)

7. macrumors member

Yea the crispness is honestly amazing.. i walked into an Apple store.. i had a wow moment it was SOOO clear it blew my mind. If they dont put the retina :/ its going to be a hard buy for me -_-

8. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Same here! When using an iPhone 4 demo at my closest AT&T I'm pretty sure my jaw dropped. Such clarity in text, home screen icons and webpages. Haven't seen video or photos, but I'm sure they would also be amazing. I viewed MacRumors and fully zoomed out I could still read all of the text, try THAT on a 320x480 display! :D

P.S. I'd say it would be a hard buy for me as well, but unfortunately I'm currently using a 1st gen touch, so any improvements are extreme ones. :)

9. macrumors member

To be honest I have never bought a touch -_- so this is going to be the first time, i would have bought the last one but no cam lost me :/

10. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

You'll be amazed with the experience! :)

11. macrumors member

Yea im sooooo excited i saved all my birthday money (august 19) and i even am getting christmas money in advance from my dad just to get it.. ive downloaded over 50 apps.. im really excited i hope they pull through with a great product

12. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Wow! My birthday was the 17th and I saved up all of MY birthday money just to get this and iTunes money for songs/movies/apps. Really weird similarities :p
    Just curious, did you turn 15 too? :D

13. macrumors regular

ya, I should really to to an apple/AT&T store, and actually hold an iPhone 4 lol. I reguraly read macrumors on my iPod touch, and I don't even have to zoom in. And I'm not even wearing my glasses. You may need to get your eyes checked out or something lol...

I'm a first gen too, and I am sooooo looking forward to this update. It's and improvement on EVERYTHING! this will definately NOT be a hard buy for me.

14. macrumors member

Nope :D i turned 16 :p but yea still very similar

15. macrumors newbie

I turned 15 on the 15th! :D And saved some of my birthday money.

My predictions for the iPod Touch 4:

A4 and 512MB/RAM because the iPod Touch's have always had the same processor and RAM specs as the iPhone, and having lower specs than the iPhone would mean either the apps wouldn't work as well on the iPod Touch (which Apple doesn't want) or that the apps wouldn't take full advantage of the iPhone 4 specs because the devs want it to be compatible with the 'Touch.

Gyroscope, because its main purpose is for gaming, and that's what the 'Touch is marketed as.

3MP rear-facing camera, because, well, it's going to have a camera, and the 3 gen prototypes had the iPhone 3G (2MP) camera.

Front facing camera with Facetime, because Steve jobs said "millions of Facetime devices by the end of the year" and the email based Facetime thingy.

Retina Display, maybe, since it is a media/gaming device

Microphone? Probably, unless they want to target Facetime to only deaf people :p.

iOS 4.1 with Game Center (is that what it's called?)...

802.11n WiFi, obvious update.

Aluminum back - They haven't update the 'Touch's design in forever, and have always had the chrome back. They love that chrome. But I hope they change it.

16. macrumors newbie

I agree with everything about the iPod Touch, but I'm going with the 512MB RAM and the 5MP camera.

I'm also still holding out for 3G. And they better get rid of the annoying chrome. Sure it looks nice, but scratches too easily and look's ugly after awhile.

17. macrumors 6502a

pukifloyd

i hope you're true :)
    been waiting for the new touch for a long time now :rolleyes:

18. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

You'll see what I mean when you see a Retina Display. :D

Can you really read the links on the left of the page?! I have 20/20 vision and I can't. Everything is just so clear on the iPhone 4.

I'm getting my iPod touch 4 on September 3rd I can't wait! :)

19. macrumors 65816

fel10

Retina Display
    Rear Camera
    Built in Mic

And I will be the happiest man alive!!!

20. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Yup I'm thinking 512MB RAM as well, and hoping for that awesome 5MP camera, but I know in reality they probably won't give it to us until the 5th generation. I'd advise not holding your breath for 3G, that's a huge distinguishing factor between the iPhone and iPod touch.

Very well said. I'm going with 100% on the Retina Display, out of all the new features that is the one that would improve the iPod touch's gaming capabilities the most! :eek:
    Plus, that leaked LCD/digitizer was very similar to the iPhone 4's, meaning it probably had a Retina Display. :)

21. macrumors regular

Ok well not the left side of the page. If o have zooomed in and read it before, I can tell what is what, but barely, I really need to see a retina display...
    if the rumors are true, then you are going to be one happy man

22. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

All of it is crystal clear on the Retina Display. :D
    I just can't shut up about how awesome it is! :eek:

Come, my beautiful 64GB 4th gen iPod touch, come to me now! :p

23. macrumors 6502a

Peterson8765

Yeah I think theres a 50/50 chance. Anything is possible.

24. macrumors 6502a

Anyone who thinks that Apple is pulling out an iPad - even the rumoured 7 inch model - with a 300+dpi panel is deluded.

25. thread starter macrumors 6502a

AceFernalld

Very true. As far as I see it there are no advantages to a 7" iPad, so I don't think they will ever introduce one.