Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hotchson

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2010
I agree. And I'm 99.9% sure apple agrees too.

I would not be surprised if Apple decided to give away one or more games for free!

I definitely want to buy the new ipod touch, how long does it take before we have the reviews and and everything? When do the start shipping to Australia?

Dr Kevorkian94

macrumors 68020
Jun 9, 2009
SI, NY
i agree but not with:

1) iOS 4 for iPad- they always seed the upcoming update like a month before to developers. i think they will give us a preview and a date.

2) iTunes- they cant do cloud now if you have read articles on this site apple doesn't yet have the support from the music labels. they will probably say that its in the works and yada yada yada.

other than that i think you are spot on :D

lukefinch

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
South Yorkshire, England
My Prediction

The new devices will continue to be hugely hyped up until they are announced on the first.

On that day, Steve will announce something that half lives up to the expectations but doesn't really have everything we were all hoping for.

Following this, everyone will say that it's awful and pointless then when we finally have chance to get our hands on one, it will be another instant hit as you can guarantee it will be brilliant regardless of what it is or isn't.

Just like the iPad :D

Methalius

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
CT
Following this, everyone will say that it's awful and pointless then when we finally have chance to get our hands on one, it will be another instant hit as you can guarantee it will be brilliant regardless of what it is or isn't.

Agreed. I'm trying to not set my expectations too high. I'm just hoping for more storage space. Anything else will be gravy. I have a feeling that it will be as similar to the iPhone 4 as possible just without the ability to make phone calls.

It seems like the first few Touch's have been mirror images of the iPhone but again, without the ability to make phone calls.

puregutsxc

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
my thoughts-

retina display
2 cameras, rear with same flash as iphone
gyro (not the sandwich)
512 ram
same capacity
aluminum back similar to ipad (liquidmetal anyone??)
iOS 4.1 with gamecenter
itunes 10 with cloud streaming coming later this year
iPad iOS 4 announced, coming later this year
229, 299, 399 prices

oh and steve jobs will wear a black turtleneck, jeans, and white sneakers.

iSpaghettiCat

macrumors regular
Sep 4, 2009
Miami, FL
my thoughts-

retina display
2 cameras, rear with same flash as iphone
gyro (not the sandwich)
512 ram
same capacity
aluminum back similar to ipad (liquidmetal anyone??)
iOS 4.1 with gamecenter
itunes 10 with cloud streaming coming later this year
iPad iOS 4 announced, coming later this year
229, 299, 399 prices

oh and steve jobs will wear a black turtleneck, jeans, and white sneakers.

^ This.

Although I think Apple will do the same thing as last year, in terms of device pricing: $199 for an 8GB (or 16GB, not sure whether Apple wants to go that route) 3rd gen iPod touch, same as the current generation in terms of hardware; and then 32GB and 64GB 4th generation for $299 and $399, respectively.

JoshJosh117

macrumors 6502
Nov 8, 2007
I swear if the touch has the same shiny metal back I will not buy it. I want to be able to use it without a case, but the back gets scratched and smudged with finger prints no matter what you do to it.

sarmo187

macrumors member
Aug 19, 2010
I really want a 64gb but I don't think i can cough up the $400, its honestly worth it but i cant afford that considering i want to get the whole 9 yards of accessories. :eek:

battlekid

macrumors regular
I wish they threw in a GPS though.... I really want a GPS in my ipod. On another note, ill buy the new ipod when i return from canada on the 5th or so (currently visiting family)... I have the money, so ill buy the 32GB iPod touch 4, then sell my 32GB iPod touch 3, iOS 4.0, good condition. $225 seems fair. Lol, anyone want to buy it? :D SHSH is already backed up, iOS 4.0 and iOS 4.0.2 SHSH saved. Anyways.... I think it'll be:
"retina" AKA HD display
gyro (gaming device, cant leave that out :D)
A4 (doh!)
rear facing camera, maybe 3GS one or 3G one....
maybe front camera for facetime
802.11N (cant WAIT!!!!)

battlekid

macrumors regular
It's funny though, my father is retired but he knows a *****LOAD of crap about the tech industry. He's spoken at WWDC (years ago). He told me that iPad was always known as "project cr@pper" (steve wanted a small computer for the toilet :D). He tried to explain the concept of a iPod touch/iPhone to me a few years before it came out. He had prototype photos of the iPad in his office at work. He met steve, but said that he was a bit of a character (and a bit of an @ss). Funny times.... Well, its fun having this kind of parent.... lol.

4DThinker

macrumors 68020
Mar 15, 2008
My prediction for the new Touch? Half what anyone expects. Apple always leaves features out that everyone is expecting.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
OP, I would love to see an iPod touch like you have described it.:D I am hoping for a retina display and FaceTime. Especially the latter would be awesome!!
I personally don't see an overwhelming appeal to FaceTime, I think a lot of people will end up never using it, but I may be wrong. :)

i agree but not with:

1) iOS 4 for iPad- they always seed the upcoming update like a month before to developers. i think they will give us a preview and a date.

2) iTunes- they cant do cloud now if you have read articles on this site apple doesn't yet have the support from the music labels. they will probably say that its in the works and yada yada yada.

other than that i think you are spot on :D
I completely agree with #1, that's why in my post I said:
"Beta release today to developers
Public release in late October"

As for #2, I don't really have that much confidence with cloud-integration coming to iTunes, but I think they may offer an option to stream our iTunes libraries from any computer. We'll see soon! :D

229, 299, 399 prices.
Well, Apple already said that $199 was really a magical price point where many people could afford it, so I don't they will raise the price back to $229. I'm saying $199 16GB 3rd gen, $299 32GB 4th gen and $399 64GB 4th gen.

...but the back gets scratched and smudged with finger prints no matter what you do to it.
Too darn true! Cheers for aluminum! :D

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
I honestly think for SURE they are going to put the retina and gyro, front cam is extremely likely as well.. and im reallllllly hoping for a rear HD cam :eek:

The way I see it the Retina Display and gyro are necessary to make the iPod touch a better gaming device, which is what Apple's main focus of the iPod touch is. So those two are guaranteed. I'm really hoping for the same rear cam as the iPhone 4, but I know it'll probably just be the same one as the 3GS. :(

puregutsxc

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2009
if you have been following engadget, there have been leaks of a front assemly that includes a front facing camera, cases with a hole for a rear facing camera and flash, and the screen was recorded to be almost exactly the same as the iPhone 4's (although not exactly the same, which is interesting). I think for sure we'll see at least a near-retina display, and the two cameras are just about a definite. Apple wants your iPod touch to replace your Flip.
edit: and since this is marketed as a gaming device, gyro is definite.

Liam8

macrumors 6502
Mar 15, 2009
Canada
I don't think iLife will be included except they may have an iPad compatible iMovie and a new Garageband app.

Or who knows maybe the super secret new iLife app they keep talking about will be on iPad too :):apple:;)

unchecked

macrumors 6502
Sep 5, 2008
You missed one.
  • Mention a bit on product streamlining. Classic will eventually phase out. Nano and Shuffle will merge into the new Nauffle.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.