My PS3 Experiences

Discussion in 'Games' started by Cooknn, Nov 28, 2006.

1. Cooknn macrumors 68020

Cooknn

It's been a tumultuous experience so far that's for sure. I pre-ordered mine through EB, so a 60GB PS3 was in my hands on launch day. Problems started when I plugged it into my Toshiba 50H82 1080i HDTV. The first set of component cables I bought were from Psyclone. $70 so you'd think they would be good. Well, I had pink and green bands rolling up my screen so I went to the store and bought a cheaper set of cables by React. Still had the problem. I called Sony. They recommended that I try the unit on another HDTV. I drove to Best Buy and they graciously allowed me to plug it into one of their $5000 1080p Plasma sets. Same problem.

Sony then sets me up for a new unit*. While waiting for the replacement my son's friend brings his new PS3 over and we plug it into my TV. Inititally it had the same problem with the pink and green bands. We turned it off, unplugged it and decided to come back to it about 15 minutes later. Plugged it back in via the React component cables and just like that it was fine :eek: I thought I had it figured out at that point. Must be a flakey interface where the cable plugs into the PS3. When we moved it a bit, you could see the picture flaking out. Oh, but that wasn't it.

Yesterday I received my replacement. SAME problem. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it to display normally. So, I called Sony back again. The conversation went like this. Me: "So you've had over a week to gather data. Let me know what you're doing to fix this problem for the others who are experiencing this". Sony: "I don't have access to that data". Me: "WTF do you mean you don't have access?! Give me someone who does!" Sony: "It will be 3 to 5 days for a high level tech to call you back." Me: "F#$% if it will" Click.

So today, I venture to Circuit City to see if there is another brand of cable. Three's a charm right? All the while I'm being tempted by a 46-inch 1080p LCD TV at Costco. Much to my surprise Circuit City has Monster Component Cables for the PS3! This has to work. I'm so confident that I'd give it at least a 20% chance of fixing the problem :eek: So, I get home (about an hour ago) and plug em in. The problem is fixed! I can now navigate around in the Sony menu system in glorious 1080i with no pink bands. Can you guess where this is headed?

It's documented that my set automatically converts 720p to 1080i. It works great on ESPNHD and ABCHD, etc. Heh. Not with the PS3 though. After all this, Resistance: Fall of Man reverts back to 480p. So, does the demo for F1 Champion Edition. I'm so frustrated I could spit nails. *I wish Microsoft would have done what Sony did when I had my problems with the XBox360 and just cross shipped me a new unit. I wouldn't be dealing with this crap today. Life on the bleeding edge I guess. I suppose I'll sit on this thing and hope they figure out how to fix the scaling issue. I haven't even tried a Blu-Ray movie yet. To be continued...

2. sikkinixx macrumors 68020

sikkinixx

that sucks man, hope things get resolved for ya!

this should be a breeding ground for PS3 haters

3. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

LMAO :D Yeah, that wasn't my intention. I must be cursed for gaming consoles. Just needed another vent :eek:

4. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

This is why you always avoid first-gen products. :D

5. aholden12592 macrumors regular

i would get a full money refund and wait till spring

6. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

sorry to hear that. maybe there's a setting somewhere that can fix the problem.

hope everything works out for you

7. pgc6000 macrumors 6502a

Your handling it better than I would. I'd be downright pissed...

8. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Actually, now that I've worked through the display issues related to the cables I am in the same boat as about 100,000 other users (guess) who's 1080i HDTV's don't do 720p natively. I'll just hang out and wait for the day when I can afford to Play B3yond with a real 1080p HDTV :rolleyes:

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Brilliant engineering on Sony's part, I must admit. That's as far as my bashing will go.

It's a total shame that you have to pay the price for their myopic design.

10. zero2dash macrumors 6502a

zero2dash

The more I read about rudimentary problems with this system, the more I ask myself: has Sony done anything right with the Ps3 yet?? :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about all your troubles, man. :(

11. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so there's no way to set the resolution of the PS3 to match 1080i?

12. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I like to plug in my consoles and play, that sounds like a mess. This HD stuff has really got me wondering if any of it is worth it. I've never actually seen a comparison so I can't actually give my opinion.

13. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Yeah, but the games don't pay attention. If they're coded at 720p, the system backs you down to 480p instead of scaling to 1080i. IGN article here.

14. huck500 macrumors 6502

huck500

So now is the time to go back to the 360... it's not a first-gen product any more...:)

15. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

wow. that stinks. i'm sure sony will fix this though

16. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Well, FWIW the Blu-Ray player function totally ROCKS. I just plugged in Lords of War and my Onkyo receiver hit a mode it's never seen before: "Dolby DTS-ES Discrete". The sound is incredible. And the picture is Hi-Def as it should be. I can live with this. The cheapest BD player is still a lot more than the PS3. Hopefully Sony will get enough grief to fix the scaling issue for gaming ;)

17. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

well that's good to know. yeah i'm sure it'll be fixed, hopefully soon

18. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

I wonder if there is a way I could hook the PS3 to my Apple 23-inch Cinema HD Display. It does 1080p and sets only about 6 feet away. I could game on the monitor in Hi-Def and watch BD movies on the 50-inch Toshiba. The gaming experience would be lacking in the sound area though. Even so, it might be worth checking into :D

19. BurtonCCC macrumors 65816

BurtonCCC

This will be the extent of my personal PS3 bashing: my Wii works great. :)

Daniel.

20. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

yeah i would try that. isn't there some kinda of HDMI to DVI adapter somewhere? i bet that would work

21. TheMonarch macrumors 65816

TheMonarch

While I do agree that this is Sony's fault for not thinking ahead of this, I also think half the fault comes from the geniuses who came up with the HDTV standards, and the manufacturers.

This whole interlaced crap should have never made into the HDTV standard. Its stupid, confusing, and unnecessary.

22. GFLPraxis macrumors 604

GFLPraxis

Depends who makes them.

Sony, Microsoft, and yes, even Apple have a very bad track record with first-gen products. Nintendo, on the other hand, has a great record (no problems with any system launch), and so far nobody has posted "My Wii is broken" yet.

23. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

Haha, the majority, then?

24. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Found one at Radio Shack. I'll be trying this tonight. I suppose I could plug some headphones into my Onkyo receiver when playing in front of the Mac. That will be wierd! My Mac will suddenly feel like a next gen gaming console :p

[EDIT]Just found this post. Doesn't look good for the PS3 to Cinema HD :(

25. Cooknn thread starter macrumors 68020

Cooknn

Yep. I think I'm coming up with a workable solution for the PS3 though. :cool: