My radio was stolen, so now I build my car audio around my

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by ShadowHunter, Mar 10, 2004.

1. ShadowHunter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Continuing the theme of bad week, my car window was smashed and they jacked my radio and some other misc. items. Thankfully they didn't steal my 20gb iPod from the glove box, maybe they didn't have the time to look in there. Since I need to get a new head unit anyway, what's the best way to get my iPod into the system? I'm not a huge audiophile, I'm not sinking mega-bucks into my simple pickup, and I already have the headache of trying to rewire the harness (they damaged the plug) and find a new mount and all that (help there would be appreciated also), so I don't want anything complicated. I heard there was a new unit coming out from Pioneer this summer that fully supports the iPod, but it sounds pricey and its too far off. Any ideas?
  2. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
  3. stoid macrumors 601

Feb 17, 2002
    So long, and thanks for all the fish!
    There have been a few threads regarding this topic so far. Do any of them satisfy what you are looking for, or are you thinking of something else?

Thread 1

Thread 2

Thread 3

I also remember seeing once that this guy had built a dock into the center console of his luxury car. All the wires were hidden and everything. He just docked his iPod when he got in the car, and it charged and played from there. Really slick looking, but I can't find it now.
  4. oldschool macrumors 65816

Sep 30, 2003
    Don't think of this as a bad thing.

You get a fresh start.

What kind of car do you have? If you want something simple just get a deck with some RCA inputs and run a wire out to your iPod. A good holder is from

If you need advise on part numbers tell me.
  5. ShadowHunter thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 27, 2003
    Thanks for the help all.

I hadn't seen 1 of those 3 threads, I was just hoping I could get more specific advice. I think just the Belkin Auto unit + an aux in head unit will be fine.
  6. FritzTheWonderM macrumors member

Dec 12, 2003
    Planet 10
    eclipse 5423, belkin car/dock adapter, dock mounted in car (mine's in the cup holder so it tucks awayout of sight when not in use). line out jack on dock to Aux in on eclipse.