My Ram is halved by my Mac.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Alamac, Nov 29, 2006.

1. Alamac macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am a noobie here so bear with me. I should have read this forum before doing what I did. Anyway, I wanted to upgrade my ram fully to 1GB for my Yosemite G3 B&W. Bought 3 more 256MB Kingston RAM, installed them and they are showing half of what I actually have.

So searched the internet and saw a post here that described exactly what my problem was. I mean down to the pin head details. Well! I am exaggerating here. But true enough, I am not suppose to use an 8 chip SDRAM and when I looked at my new RAMS, I have the 8 chip ram. I should have the 16 chip ram which will definitely work as my old 256MB SDRAM I am currently using on my MAC has 16 chip ram. Macrumours forum, thanks for helping me. You are a savior.:)

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

The solution, as you have found, is to buy RAM that is specifically guaranteed compatible with your Mac. Kingston does have the correct RAM, but it is not the generic RAM you bought.

The one you want is KTA-G3100/256 The Kingston ValueRAM (KVR-series) will not work.

Or you can check one of the other reputable US vendors recommended by MR readers, Crucial, OWC or Data Memory Systems

3. Alamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks CanadaRam,

In fact it was your post a year ago I was reading that gave me the info. Thanks man. Appreciate your comment. I just wished I read it before going out to buy the ram with the 8 chips. Thought I share the info in case anyone is interested since the post I read was dated 2005. Thanks again.

Edited: But no worries, I managed to convinced the shop owner to replace the ram with the right one or something else. All is not lost.

4. imacintel macrumors 68000

Or CanadaRam ;)

5. Alamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes for sure. I have actually looked at the website. Thanks CanadaRam

6. Alamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi CanadaRam,

I have checked my existing 256MB Kingston ram and its model no is KVR133X64C3/256. It has the KVR on it. But it worked on my B&W G3 and showing 256 when it should. But then again it has 16 chips instead of 8. I am a bit confused here. Will the KTA for sure works? Thanks.

7. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I'd run it for a while and see what happens. I was in the same boat as you, I picked up some cheap 8-chip RAM, not knowing that it wouldn't work. I now have an awful mix-match, and the system periodically crashes, so I'm swapping modules out one at a time... not fun.

8. Alamac thread starter macrumors newbie

Got the solution i think, just need to get the ram now. Not sure yet where to get them though. will decide later.

9. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

savanahrose

If you buy it at best buy or circuit city they will take it back, without you having to beg them to do it.

Gl. Upgraded ram on my hubby's gateway and it messed it up. Took out the new ram and it ran just like it did before.

I know it is more expensive, but I think if I ever do it again it will go into the shop.

10. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Definitely or CanadaRam :)

I placed an order on that site at about 7PM on a wed night and had 2GB sitting in my mailbox Friday morning.

And I tell you my MacBook feels like a new system with it in there :D

11. Nermal Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

The OP hasn't specified his location, so I'm not about to blurt it out, but it's not a US/Canada IP address. You can therefore stop suggesting US/Canadian memory sellers :)