My RapidWeaver website

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

http://homepage.mac.com/jlenkiewicz/index.html

I was caught up in the iWeb frenzy, and wanted more. Thanks to some here I decided to look at RapidWeaver. And could not be happier.

Still learning here. The home page displays as intended on Safari, but less than I expected under IE in Mac, and even more so under Windows.

Would love to have some feedback. Also some tests of the comments in my blogs, as well as some thoughts on the RSS feeds.

Thanks

2. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

3. kiwi-in-uk macrumors 6502a

Yeah - looks good. I left a test comment on your Apple blog but I don't know whether it worked. This is a site that I put together for some friends, using the same theme that you have used. I haven't tried feedback & RSS yet - so I'll be interested to see how you go with yours.

Cheers
    Steve

4. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

LOL, thanks. This was my first time with a model. Bronica (RIP) sent us to Tampa for an RF645 camp. This image was actually done with a Nikon CP950.

5. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Very nice Chip, everything seems to load fast on my gfs G4 iBook. Faster than some others here have and your using your .mac account. I wonder why as others complain about the speed, but anyway nice for your first time (insert two thumbs up) good luck with the rest :)

6. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Thanks Steve. Did find out that the comment feature does not work the way I thought it would. I was sort of hoping for the comments to be listed under my original post. Instead it pops-up in another window. Guess easier and safer than having someone else "rewriting" your pages for you in thinking about it.

With Haloscan, contributing at least $12 dollars gets you ad free pop-ups, and you can customize the background.

Need to read up more on the trackback feature though.

I think the complaints about .Mac speed may have to do with graphic intensive sites. What I am seeing from looking at some iWeb sites, is that the graphics are layered. And some seem to downright huge. For example the vacation theme in iWeb puts a map down first, then adding layers of the scrapbook next. Looks great, but can be a bandwidth hog.

I used to code web pages by hand, or nearly so. And the rule back then was to keep the pages simple for the lowest common denominator of modem speed. Broadband for the masses was a dream back then. And DSL was hard to afford and get.

I guess my desire was to keep the pages DSL/768k friendly as possible. Flash is great if it serves a real purpose in my mind. I like the magnesium theme in RapidWeaver for its simpleness. The sidebar allows for easy navigation as you move through the site. The ability to add sub pages that indent in on the menu helps here too. Just wish all page layouts in RW allowed for tis sub page, some don't.

Hoping that I will hear more from Windows users, that also are Mac users. The couple of times that I looked at my pages in IE on WinXP, the home page graphic did not render as smooth or in the place it should have been under Safari. Sort of disappointed in that regard.

I will keep you all posted here and in the RSS feed for my site, as I move things along.

7. eyelight macrumors member

More Fonts in Rapidweaver

Downloaded the demo of Rapidweaver this morning, and the first limitation I see that would put me off is the small number of fonts that are usable with it. Is it possible to import more fonts ? or is there a third party plug in to allow more fonts ?

8. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

9. witer macrumors newbie